#14: Animal Testing

There are quite a bit of organs which would be very hard to replicate using robotics, think heart, nervous system, metabolism, and so on. Cyborgism is in its infancy, yet fully functional bodies are... already fully functional...

So yeah, head transplants ftw!

I think you are missing the part that red "It's already been done before.". =/ So it's kinda late to say that it's useless to hurt critters just for that.

Heavenly Spoon :F said:
There are quite a bit of organs which would be very hard to replicate using robotics, think heart, nervous system, metabolism, and so on. Cyborgism is in its infancy, yet fully functional bodies are... already fully functional...

So yeah, head transplants ftw!
True, making a heart would be difficult, but they already can produce artificial hearts, by taking cells and let them reproduce (if I'm right, otherwise it's in development). I don't think it's already been used in a surgery before, but I didn't follow that stuff lately...

And I was more meaning like an arm, foot, leg (maybe a whole body exept head ofcourse). They are already doing this so... well not the whole bodies, but limbs...

afstandopleren said:
I think you are missing the part that red "It's already been done before.". =/ So it's kinda late to say that it's useless to hurt critters just for that.
No I didn't miss it, I knew it happened before, also the story of the monkey head transplant, and things happened in Russia. I meant from now on they shouldn't hurt any animal for that anymore... although it's forbidden, you'll never know what all those guys are testing...

...I really need to be clearer, less sleep is breaking me...

Pokequaza said:
but they already can produce artificial hearts, by taking cells and let them reproduce
Sadly, stem cell research is still pretty young (mainly thanks to America having the most incompetent president in ages ._.)
But yes, this might be part of the near future. HOWEVER, you might still need head transplants in that case ;)

afstandopleren said:
okay, that made me lol! Heads = Organs?
xD okay made epic fail. I though he said heart instead of head. sorry I misread. Well we could download our brains into a chip, that is a theory in development. < however I don't know about this, for example you would die, but before you downloaded your mind into a chip and you'll wake up in a human-like robot (for example). Will you still be the same... very weird to think about...

Yes you would need to retrain your brain in order to use and adapt to your new robot body so you are in theory as movement is concerned a baby :p

I think it is just wrong unless you are testing them to help the animals. Chemicals, cosmetics, medicines, surgeries, etc... These all affect animals in different ways than humans because, They are not human.

There is nothing moral about testing a shampoo on a dog to make sure it works on a human. It could have a different affect.

There are many things to consider as well. Which animal are you testing? Why? Why this monkey and not that one? They all feel everything that you are doing. Imagine if we tested everything on humans. They might get hurt severally or die. Yet we can do this to animals? Because they have shorter life spans? Because they are not as intelligent as we are?

When people volunteer to be tested for science it is their choice. An animal never volunteers nor are they hired, they are picked. Many of us would be outraged if we were picked to be tested, and we would fight back. The animals have no voice to say they don't like it, but we can place ourselves in their situation and realize they don't.

Its wrong, we wouldnt think of testing it on humans. It is espescially wrong when the 'scientists' abuse animals because they wont let themselves get injected with something that may make them really sick or worse. Animals have feelings too, humans arent that overly powerful over animals.

Animal testing is not immoral. It gives us a better understanding of the world around us, and scientific applications.

The people who complain about animal testing are the types of girls in school who think they are better than everyone, and they want everyone to know it. You know, the type of girl that runs for School Captain, or Student Council. Ergo, the types of people who appeal to the emotions just to get places. The types of girls that people seem to think will be President or Prime Minister, but end up living off of sugar daddies or working at <generic adult entertainment venue>.

Krucifier said:
Animal testing is not immoral. It gives us a better understanding of the world around us, and scientific applications. Does testing cosmetics help us to ''understand the world around us better''? What if you were that animal? Do you want to suffer and die to help an other species that call themselves ''superior''? Is it really worthy to take all those lives...?

The people who complain about animal testing are the types of girls in school who think they are better than everyone, and they want everyone to know it. Uhm... girls? Isn't that racism? I do complain about animal testing, but I'm not ''a type of girl in school who think they're the best'', and yes of course I want everyone know it, maybe then they finally realize what ''we'' are doing on this world, how bad the world is suffering... You know, the type of girl that runs for School Captain, or Student Council. Ergo, the types of people who appeal to the emotions just to get places. The types of girls that people seem to think will be President or Prime Minister, but end up living off of sugar daddies or working at <generic adult entertainment venue>. What's your problem anyway? You're doing the same, you want everybody to know how bad these people are ._.

Actually, that's sexist not racist. :p

Though he does have a point. More often than not, you would probably find girls against animal testing rather than boys.

That is only because that's the way society is set up right now through the course of history. *believes in equal rights and power*

afstandopleren said:
That is only because that's the way society is set up right now through the course of history. *believes in equal rights and power*
You believe? Oh man, you sound like a Creationist ;P We shouldn't believe, we should act. However I agree, there must be equality. Although we call this world ''equal'', it's far from equal.

I believe in equal rights and power for women because it's not availble right now and it's not my job to do something about it.

We should act against tons of things, but sometimes we can't. You should seize the chances to act against whatever that bothers you. I myself hope to have brought a 'process' going that will enlighten the Dutch mass that being smart is turned into a curse rather than a gift because of how people don't know how to deal with smarter kids/people.

afstandopleren said:
I believe in equal rights and power for women because it's not availble right now and it's not my job to do something about it.

We should act against tons of things, but sometimes we can't. You should seize the chances to act against whatever that bothers you. I myself hope to have brought a 'process' going that will enlighten the Dutch mass that being smart is turned into a curse rather than a gift because of how people don't know how to deal with smarter kids/people.
Well it was just a joke. Anyway if I want something, I go for it, no matter what. Well this doesn't bother me that much and there are other people who should take care for this so. And I'm still way too young...

Back