(1) XY14 Trevenant and XY15 Slurpuff in 'Furious Fists' Blisters [8/2]

Sunain said:
Bulbagarden/Bulbapedia/Bulbanews plagiarizing and rewording content from other Pokemon websites has been going on for years. When they do source, its generally not the originating article or source either.

What is actually quite bad is they are supposed to adhere to the CC license: http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nc-sa/2.5 and http://bulbanews.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Bulbanews:Copyrights

Attribution — You must give appropriate credit, provide a link to the license, and indicate if changes were made. You may do so in any reasonable manner, but not in any way that suggests the licensor endorses you or your use.

NonCommercial — You may not use the material for commercial purposes.

ShareAlike — If you remix, transform, or build upon the material, you must distribute your contributions under the same license as the original.

So they are basically saying, we can copy and reword information without attribution, but other sites can't. They've been caught doing this countless times. What's even more annoying is as soon as copied content is added to their wiki its 'covered' by the Collective Commons license.

I think this incident has shown everyone that they're hypocrites on many levels. A lot of this has been going on behind the scenes for years as you say, but everyone until now has been afraid to say anything publicly because their site is so big and it's hard to do anything. Hopefully this begins to open up the fandom's eyes about their practices. Thanks for posting.

Water Pokémon Master said:
Sunain said:
Bulbagarden/Bulbapedia/Bulbanews plagiarizing and rewording content from other Pokemon websites has been going on for years. When they do source, its generally not the originating article or source either.

What is actually quite bad is they are supposed to adhere to the CC license: http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nc-sa/2.5 and http://bulbanews.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Bulbanews:Copyrights

Attribution — You must give appropriate credit, provide a link to the license, and indicate if changes were made. You may do so in any reasonable manner, but not in any way that suggests the licensor endorses you or your use.

NonCommercial — You may not use the material for commercial purposes.

ShareAlike — If you remix, transform, or build upon the material, you must distribute your contributions under the same license as the original.

So they are basically saying, we can copy and reword information without attribution, but other sites can't. They've been caught doing this countless times. What's even more annoying is as soon as copied content is added to their wiki its 'covered' by the Collective Commons license.

I think this incident has shown everyone that they're hypocrites on many levels. A lot of this has been going on behind the scenes for years as you say, but everyone until now has been afraid to say anything publicly because their site is so big and it's hard to do anything. Hopefully this begins to open up the fandom's eyes about their practices. Thanks for posting.

We need a Davey to take Goliath before we've no choice left.

I stopped trying to report their plagiarizing years ago because they turn a blind eye to it and turn the blame on the person reporting it as they have done to you also. They never did anything about any reported plagiarized content and it seems they still aren't. It seems even worse now that they are no longer a fansite and corporate owned though.
http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/User_talk:Sunain#Copyright_issues

Sunain said:
It seems even worse now that they are no longer a fansite and corporate owned though.
http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/User_talk:Sunain#Copyright_issues
Hm, that's an interesting point. Unlike every other fan site, Bulbagarden's primary goal is to make money - that's what it means to be corporate-owned (and their ridiculous amount of ads exemplifies that). Their practices exemplify this too: they have no concern for anyone else as long as they are filling their pockets. In turn they have no obligation to the fandom or other fan sites. They have no problem stealing from fan sites like us, lying about it, turning the blame back on us in an attempt to turn the fandom against us, and then turning a profit. That's what money does.

It's like all of this has slipped under everyone's nose. Heck, I know all the facts, but even I didn't put all of this together until now.

Most fans don't even know they're corporate owned now, or that everyone who edits their wiki for free is actually filling the webmaster and the corporation's pockets. Every other fan site just does what they do because they like Pokemon, but Bulbagarden's goals are clearly money-driven. If that means stealing, lying, and deceiving people, it doesn't matter to them - they have no obligation to us. But they will continue to masquerade as any old fan site because it suits their image, an image that is clearly hypocritical on multiple levels, as we've seen in the past 24 hours. What happened yesterday proves they're not like any other fan site. They're a completely different corporate-owned breed that is only driven by money.

The more you think about all of this, the worse it gets.

It's really kinda sick what they're doing. It was said before, that no one would stand up to what they were doing, but it really is not nice coming to terms with everything falling into place like this. I literally made an account so I could talk about this, and how I don't really want to be allowing these people to get any more money. I used to use Bulbapedia for the artwork resources, but I've gotten better resources from here, with all the HD artwork that's been put up. I'm going to do my part in their downfall (hopefully) by not returning there for resources. I don't want them to make anything out of my visits there.

They're a completely different corporate-owned breed that is only driven by money.

Corporations credo must be: Corporate lust before public trust.

Wow, this is just pretty stunning to me. I had a feeling these kinds of things were always going on behind the scenes (specifically the making money part) but to just have it all open and everyone knowing know just makes it seem even more scummy that they even have supporters after this. Not to mention the fact they accused a webmaster of calling them a word that he never said. That's just unacceptable. Anything less than an apology to PokeBeach is unforgivable tbh. I honestly wish their site would just shut down at this point too. So many people have deleted their bookmarks, unfollowed, etc and it's really not like we'd be missing that much as fans. The fact that they're owned by a corporation and that they're so big will make sure that will never happen unfortunately.

dmaster out.

dmaster said:
The fact that they're owned by a corporation and that they're so big will make sure that will never happen unfortunately.

When that child with blood-red eyes gets older, I'm sure there will be someone out there who can vanquish them... :p

Purposefully ambiguous post is purposefully ambiguous post.

When that child with blood-red eyes gets older, I'm sure there will be someone out there who can vanquish them... :p

OH HERE WE GO AGAIN!

I still want to know who that creepy kid in the banner is.

dmaster said:
The fact that they're owned by a corporation and that they're so big will make sure that will never happen unfortunately.

Purposefully ambiguous post is purposefully ambiguous post.

W3xbkdb.png

Please explain.

Wow, this is incredibly sad and terrible. :( I've heard a couple bad things here and there about the Bulbagarden website and such, but never knew it went quite to this magnitude.

Athena said:
Wow, this is incredibly sad and terrible. :( I've heard a couple bad things here and there about the Bulbagarden website and such, but never knew it went quite to this magnitude.

I've heard a lot worse "rumors" regarding Bulbagarden than stealing.

Trainerhan1 said:
Athena said:

The one with the secret mod forums with all the naked pictures of the underage mods?

That one would actually be true, there's a reason they call Liam "Bulbapedo" over at /vp/.

Don Pianta said:
Trainerhan1 said:

The one with the secret mod forums with all the naked pictures of the underage mods?

That one would actually be true, there's a reason they call Liam "Bulbapedo" over at /vp/.

:I
:I
:|
.-.

Isn't that illegal? ono

Don Pianta said:
Trainerhan1 said:

That's the one. I put the quotations there since they aren't just rumors.

Don Pianta said:
Yes, it is. Hence why he deleted everything and there is no longer any secret mod forum.

That is so creepy... ._.
How was it discovered, like did he get caught by the police or what?

steffenka said:
That is so creepy... ._.
How was it discovered, like did he get caught by the police or what?

Former mods quit and told people, when confronted Liam apparently had no idea what his underaged mods were doing and promptly deleted everything.

Since the thread was apparently always on the front page I have doubts as to whether or not he was telling the truth, but it it possible he fapped to it one too many times and that actually does make you go blind after all.

Soo umm about the actual cards themselves, I play at home and at a league with my gf, she built a fairy deck to counter my dark deck. That Slurpuff scares me, especially when combined with Klefki that basically gives it a -70 resistance. Trevenant is pretty bleh though and I wish they would package them with new coins since we've already got those Xerneas ones, a Lucario coin would be a lot nicer to have.

Back