(1) Pokemon Life in Japan: Around the Corner [5/26]

In Japan, is Pokemon "cool?" And the fact that people in Japan can go into the smallest store and buy any piece of Pokemon parifenalia (Spell Check lol) and I sometimes have trouble finding the right boosters I need...saddening

So..many..toys. It's like being in a candy store. X_X I'd love to live there, but I have a bad language gap. Tons of that stuff looks cool, and I would really like to play Battrio. ;f

dmaster out.

masterryanx said:
meowth14 said:
I have one of the toys from the pictures. The big Dialga plushie on the top shelf. I got mine at Target. :p I can't belive that it's the same one as in Japan.

It's most likely not exactly the same plush, if you obtained yours at an American Target it's probably the Jakks Pacific plush. Last I checked, that plush isn't sold in Japanese stores and the Japanese Tomy plushes (maybe this particular plush figure is by Bandai or Banpresto, I'm not sure) are not sold in American stores. Considering, Jakks makes all of it's toys from scratch in the US (as far as I know) and they don't simply repackage Japanese creations (like what Hasbro would occasionally do back in the day), it's technically not the same plush, as similar as they may look. They're probably even made from different materials as well, as is usually the case between Japanese and American plushes.

No, it's the same one. I'm sure of it. :D

meowth14: are you sure its a tomy dialga? those were not sold at all in america. a similar dialga by jakks was made though. check the tags :D

If only pokemon kept it's popularity in the U.S. that it had seven years ago we might be just like them. I wish I lived in japan now.

I have one of the toys from the pictures. The big Dialga plushie on the top shelf. I got mine at Target. I can't belive that it's the same one as in Japan.

i have the big Palkia one! i got it for my birthday 2 months ago from my friend. she found it in a thrift store for like $2. it's in nice condition, no tears, no stains, and it's not disfigured at all. and even the tag is still on his arm. it looks brand new. i can bet the person who had it before me didn't have it very long. don't they cost about 15-20 bucks here in america if you buy them from somewhere like target?

ZOMG! A Leafeon figurine! *Eeveelution fanatic in case no one could tell* I don't care if it's a toy or not! I'm jealous! lol I didn't see a Glaceon figurine in the pic, but meh, it's probably in there somewhere, too.

Wow, great article once again, very nice!

Man I wish it was like that here in america! It's not even close to like that. Maybe if I lived in New York, for the pokemon center. Yet saddly im here in the midwest! Well glad to see Pokemon is out and about, man i would kill for one of those Gallade plushies in the UFO catcher! ;)

That was a good article. I wish our stores did it the same way as Japan. When Pokemon first came out they did but now most items are online and you can find some of the dolls in stores but not many.:)

heerosferret said:
meowth14: are you sure its a tomy dialga? those were not sold at all in america. a similar dialga by jakks was made though. check the tags :D

I have inspected both Tomy and Target/Jakk Pacific versions of the plush.

They are made from the exact same pattern (most likely made in the same factory in China), but the TOMY version has slightly better fabric that's more resistant to imprinting from handling.

Otherwise, they are the same figures, just with different brand tags.
InuMimi said:
I have one of the toys from the pictures. The big Dialga plushie on the top shelf. I got mine at Target. I can't belive that it's the same one as in Japan.

I have the big Palkia one! I got it for my birthday 2 months ago from my friend. she found it in a thrift store for like $2. it's in nice condition, no tears, no stains, and it's not disfigured at all. and even the tag is still on his arm. it looks brand new. I can bet the person who had it before me didn't have it very long. don't they cost about 15-20 bucks here in america if you buy them from somewhere like target?

Target stores 'donate' their out-dated clearance items to thrift stores for tax write-off reasons. Your Palkia probably came directly from Target salvage bin.

For $2 it's a quite a bargain, it originally retailed for $24.99 during the holiday seasons.

The giant Palkia and Dialga plushes were a limited run for JakkPac that was released for the 2007 holidays, and sold exclusively in Target. Dialga sold much better than Palkia (same reason Diamond out sold Pearl), so some Target stores still have Palkia on clearance in March 2008.
masterryanx said:
banettewilldestroyallofyou said:
Those UFO catchers are amazing. They should put those in grocery stores in the U.S. instead of the lame ones they tend to have.

I've seen actual Sega manufactured UFO Catchers in the United States at places like Wal-Mart, however, never do they contain Pokemon merchandise, most of the time it's imported Disney plushes. The sad thing is though, that they're usually done away with after a while because they're much more difficult to operate than your average American toy catcher machine (having only 2 prongs instead of the average 3 or 4) and they're always a bit more expensive.

Actually, I found the UFO catchers to be much easier than the American 3-prong claws. I rarely use the 2-prongs to grab on to the plush, they are more often used to reposition the figure or to hook on a loop somewhere. Check out some of the Youtube videos for hints and tips. :p

http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=UFO+Catcher&search_type=

I envy every last Japanese person right now.

There's only one store near me that sells pokemon merch (wal-mart) and the last time I went (Sun. May 18), the only pokemon merch they had was the Majestic Dawn decks and the Darkrai promo boxes. I've noticed over the past month that yugioh has been taking over the tcg stand. Even magic the gathering is loosing to it... >_> Why I ever liked yugioh (some years ago) in the first place is beyond me. [/ramble]

Salmon Nap: Thank you for the wonderful breakdown between Tomy and Jakks :D Even I don't know that stuff, I've never owned a Jakks plush, only figures (and those ARE unique designs).

Gin: I can try to find a Jakks Raichu (or Pika) for you if you'd like me to (I'll also be sending that money to jedi_amara this Thursday).
Do you have the Tomy (new) Jolty figure yet, if not I do have a spare one.

As for meny people here & on Live Journal are envous of you.

Jeez, got so much time on your hands you can video tape UFO machines? Anyway, doesn't seem like a bad way to make a couple buck on ebay.

SO MUCH POKéMON STUFF! =@ 8D *drools* I don't think my mum would let me in there, 'cause I'd have used up all my money before you could say "Pokémon". What a contrast with my place... if you go to the supermarket there's absolutely no Pokémon stuff at all, until the game releases, when there's all of 2 Pokémon items on sale. Wish I lived in Japan...

InuMimi said:

I have the big Palkia one! I got it for my birthday 2 months ago from my friend. she found it in a thrift store for like $2. it's in nice condition, no tears, no stains, and it's not disfigured at all. and even the tag is still on his arm. it looks brand new. I can bet the person who had it before me didn't have it very long. don't they cost about 15-20 bucks here in america if you buy them from somewhere like target?
My Dialga cost me $25. Your lucky that yours was only $2!
I wish I could go to Japan. There's so much cool pokemon stuff!

There's only one store near me that sells pokemon merch (wal-mart) and the last time I went (Sun. May 18), the only pokemon merch they had was the Majestic Dawn decks and the Darkrai promo boxes. I've noticed over the past month that yugioh has been taking over the tcg stand. Even magic the gathering is loosing to it... >_> Why I ever liked yugioh (some years ago) in the first place is beyond me. [/ramble]

ugh, i know. i hate wal-mart now. they NEVER have pokemon stuff except the cards. though, everytime i go to wal-mart i always get myself a pack. it's like an addiction to cigarettes except much more healthier :D
target is the place to go around here if you want something pokemon. they have lots of different expansion sets/packs/tins, the TFG packs, plushies, and all kinds of figures. sure, target doesn't have huge sections devoted to pokemon but it's still a lot better then nothing.

Back