(1) Mamoswine GL from 'Rising Rivals' and Decision [5/4]

What do you think?

• Prerelease scans on Friday night / Saturday morning, WPM a judge!

Votes: 154 79.4%
  • Prerelease scans early in the week, WPM not a judge!

Votes: 40 20.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I'm not sure that posting scans would hurt your chances of becoming a judge.. If you become one, I can see why you would discontinue that. Until then, I'm not sure what the problem would be? I prefer the scans early, but if it is going to make obtaining something you truly want impossible, don't do it.

ApachePrime said:
As a judge alredy, I have to say: Why would OP stop you from judging based on actions that have nothing to do with judging? It's going to take years for you to be able to judge events like Nats and Worlds, but there's nothing stopping you from jumping in at Cities and showing your PTO that you can handle judging States/Regionals.

The posting of scans that were legally obtained is very morally ambiguous. If you can judge, you should be allowed to. Your local PTO should not have prejudice for an action that doesn't affect your judgment in the game.

I say post the scans AND judge as much as you can.

I agree with you.
Post scans and JUDGE too.

I myself don't get why POP won't let you post early scans that were obtained LEGALLY.

It's not that judging itself would be a problem, it's if I ever try to go for higher events. Last year at Worlds when POP asked me where I got my scans from, I wouldn't tell them, so they took away my press badge (their official reason was because I didn't obtain it correctly, but that was just bullpoo, especially since they took it away literally right after and Dave S. was even trying to find out where I could get one the day before I got it). When I try to ask some of them questions through e-mail, they tell me they won't tell me anything just because of my "history." So if I ever tried to judge and get anywhere, they could easily block it if they wanted to. So that's the problem! :p

Water Pokémon Master said:
It's not that judging itself would be a problem, it's if I ever try to go for higher events. Last year at Worlds when POP asked me where I got my scans from, I wouldn't tell them, so they took away my press badge (their official reason was because I didn't obtain it correctly, but that was just bullpoo, especially since they took it away literally right after and Dave S. was even trying to find out where I could get one the day before I got it). When I try to ask some of them questions through e-mail, they tell me they won't tell me anything just because of my "history." So if I ever tried to judge and get anywhere, they could easily block it if they wanted to. So that's the problem! :p

That's not going to stop you from judging locally. Judging Nats and Worlds takes a lot of experience, something I would give a few years. So why worry about something that won't happen for quite some time and do what you want? POP has no reason to blacklist you from judging. Talk to your PTO, and I'm sure they'll agree. It's completely unprofessional to treat you with a bias for not wanting to reveal your sources.

You're not understanding me. As you said, it takes a few years to get that kind of judging experience. What's going to stop POP in a "few years" from not allowing me to judge if I continued to post scans? They're already denying me stuff now, so if I want to become a good judge in the future and get anywhere, posting scans has to stop now.

You're not understanding me. As you said, it takes a few years to get that kind of judging experience. What's going to stop POP in a "few years" from not allowing me to judge if I continued to post scans? They're already denying me stuff now, so if I want to become a good judge in the future and get anywhere, posting scans has to stop now.

If you've got the experience, why would they stop you from judging? What are they denying you now? Answers to questions not made public? I'm not trying to pressure you into putting up the scans, but just trying to point out that POP doesn't have the option to be hypocritical and showing a bias against you. If you are a good candidate for judging, they'll let you judge. You posting scans has no reflection on your ability to judge a major event. Keep your professionalism at events, and they can't touch you.

Quick Edit: Also, if the difference between the options is 48 hours... Who cares? Post 'em 48 hours later! If anything that gives you more time to make sure they are of the quality that you want to post on your website!

WPM,
You have the right not to reveal your sources.

They can't force you too.

However, they do have the right to refuse service to anyone at their desire.

I still say judge. We can wait, or go to the official website. But i would contact POP that if you judge, you will stop posting the scans or play by their rules. Or tell them whatever you like.

POP said "you" could not post scans but they didn't say Bangiras or any of the other staff of Pokebeach can't.

Give the other staff the scans and they'll post them.

ApachePrime said:
If you've got the experience, why would they stop you from judging? What are they denying you now? Answers to questions not made public? I'm not trying to pressure you into putting up the scans, but just trying to point out that POP doesn't have the option to be hypocritical and showing a bias against you. If you are a good candidate for judging, they'll let you judge. You posting scans has no reflection on your ability to judge a major event. Keep your professionalism at events, and they can't touch you.

You might be right, but I'd rather not risk it. I can just imagine them picking judges for Worlds and Nats (in the far future when I have tons of experience) and them saying "No, because of his posting of early scans." Everything they've ever said to me and done also leads me to believe that would happen too.

post them friday night. I mean pop is being a real douche telling you that you can't legally do something but the ball is really in their court if really wanna be a judge. I would choose being a judge just because there are a lot of benefits. If you ever get good enough to judge nats that is $50 in your pocket from the staff stamped promo. You get a box of cards for judging pre-releases. You do the math, you aren't getting much in return for your early scans except the love of your fans here at the beach.

How totally ludicrous. I haven't read any of the other posts here (though I will later), but it's absolute nonsense that your habit of posting scans early plays any role in deciding whether or not you can become a judge. They're just whining like little brats and tossing around threats, it seems. :/

Honestly, that's completely insane. I know that judging must be important to you, so I can't say "tell these guys you'll just continue posting scans early no matter what", but if it were me in this situation, I wouldn't hesitate to continue posting scans early. I can't believe a company that's supposed to be professional is taking a bully's path in the matter. How completely childish.

Judge WPM ("Your Honor")

Good evening everyone!

My 2 cents - I agree with most everyone else. We already have the translations and it's not like we're going to die if we don't have the scans early.

I still consider myself pretty darn new... my son and I started playing in tournaments just last year. Since then, I've played in a lot of tournaments, become a Professor, and am looking to judge my first event(s) later this month.

With that said - there is absolutely no way that I would be nearly as interested in Pokemon as I am without PokeBeach. I don't know if we'd even still be playing, much less chompin'-at-the-bit for every PreRelease and every other tourney. The scans make me want to play in PreReleases more, not less! PokeBeach is doing a huge service in furthering PUSA's cause.

If I were the PUSA higher-ups, I would encourage and support PokeBeach's activities, including posting early scans.

My sincere gratitude goes out to WPM and PokeBeach... thank you!

- Hypno68

POP invites professors to any higher tier event where a local tournament organizer isn't used (Nats and Worlds) so they could chose not to invite WPM if they wanted to, and they probably wouldn't if he's posting scans, my question is, if they're denying you now, I don't see why they wouldn't in the future. With my experience judging I know for a fact it's more politics than anything, and if you don't have the "in" now, or know people, the odds of you judging are slim anyway, I know a great judge who has been with us since the beginning and even he doesn't get invited to Nats and Worlds every year, such as this year.

Make a comprimise. Judge but post the set list because no one cares about the cards as we know what they do... we just like confirming the set I guess :/

So your going to stop doing something now, because your worried that something that could happen 5 years down the road might not happen?

There are judges that have been judging since Nintendo took over the game that haven't been invited to nationals/worlds. There is no guarantee that if you stopped posting scans early that you'd be invited later down the road. Most people who get invited are PTOs of their area. They do invite non-PTOs to Nationals, but you have to be recommended by a PTO and have the higher ups okay it. That is how I was invited to judge Nationals '08.

There is nothing stopping you from judging currently (maybe your age). Posting scans early won't stop you from judging a pre-release or battle road in your area.

In the end, you don't have control over how TPCi handles stuff. They may never look highly of you because of your posting of scans. Actions have consequences, and those consequences don't always disappear after a certain number of years.

I think we can handle dealing with the Japanese scans, they're awesome enough as it is. Become a judge!

ApachePrime said:

You might be right, but I'd rather not risk it. I can just imagine them picking judges for Worlds and Nats (in the far future when I have tons of experience) and them saying "No, because of his posting of early scans." Everything they've ever said to me and done also leads me to believe that would happen too.

While I don't doubt this for a minute, I think its really silly. If anything your hyping the game and promoting sales. I know I would have bought a lot less boxes with out the advanced info.

if you know its going to affect you in the future, don't post them. be a judge if that is what you want. the translations are there if people are desperate

Since you want to judge I say don't post.

After all, we have rather accurate translations. It's not going to kill us to wait for early scans, and see what new surprises the English set has.

Back