(1) Basic 'Video Game Championship' Rules Announced [2/9]

Oh, man! "Pokémon Level 51 and higher being automatically graded down to Level 50 for the duration of the battle using a new auto-leveling feature"! Wow, it almost feels like that already existed! =D Oh, right. Because it did. Though I guess they could mean "new" as in "newly added"?

Seriously, though, it's nice to have the rules for this, though I know I won't be participating.

I like the rules sorta, IMO having two of the same Pokémon on your team is dumb kinda. I might try my hand at one or two(if I get motivated enough to do EV/IV)
1st non-mod person to post.

Lol. Have all Salamences with different movesets and you could easily win. Alot of change to the rules yeah but we have to live with it.

Pokémon Level 51 and higher being automatically graded down to Level 50 for the duration of the battle using a new auto-leveling feature

YES! Now I can use my IV-bred level 100s in battle, and I won't have to rebreed for level 50s! This is fanta-

A team cannot contain more than two of Dialga, Giratina, Groudon, Ho-Oh, Kyogre, Lugia, Mewtwo, Palkia, and Rayquaza during a battle

Meaning that Dialga, Giratina, Groudon, Ho-Oh, Kyogre, Lugia, Mewtwo, Palkia, and Rayquaza are all allowed.

That's it, I'm leaving.

I love the new level rule. I hate the exception rule. Why would they let you use some ubers, but not Jirachi! At least we can use wobbu!

I'm pretty sure Species Clause is still in tact.. Those rules are just the new rules, or things that have been tweaked slightly since last year. Every other rule from the previous year is probably still in use.

"A team cannot contain more than two of Dialga, Giratina, Groudon, Ho-Oh, Kyogre, Lugia, Mewtwo, Palkia, and Rayquaza during a battle."

This implies that the restriction of two only applies to the Legendaries (as in, you are free to use as many of any other Pokemon you want). Unless they're trying to promote you using Legendaries over other Pokemon...

Whilst I see what you're saying WPM, what the restriction is TRYING to say is that out of the listed legends there, your team can only have two of them. It's a little ambiguous, because when I reread that my first thought was "So I can have two Dialga on the same team?", but there you go.

Not that I expected anything less from Nintendo anyhow. They rarely seem to have much of an idea regarding how to get the most competitive value out of their games...

Yeah, and this would tie in with Japan's rule set as well, as they also have the 2 ubers limitation.

Ho hum, I guess this wasn't really unexpected. Good luck to all you guys who are still competing.

gamercal said:
Whilst I see what you're saying WPM, what the restriction is TRYING to say is that out of the listed legends there, your team can only have two of them. It's a little ambiguous, because when I reread that my first thought was "So I can have two Dialga on the same team?", but there you go.
That's the same thing I said?

We knew there was a restriction on those Pokémon because that's how the Japanese rules are. Item Clause, Species Clause, the fact it's Double Battles only, and that you only play with four Pokémon at a time have been left out of that latest update. I think that the fact such important rules are all missing from an update means that they're the things that will continue from last year.

I'm pretty confident those missing things will be added to a proper rules page for the US and European tournaments in the next few weeks when HeartGold & SoulSilver are released worldwide. The only thing (rules-wise) that's currently questionable, in my opinion, is whether or not they mean two Ubers per team, or two Ubers per team sheet. I'm not sure how this played out in Japan yet so can't comment.

However, I will admit it's a little oddly worded. We'll see if they tidy that up.

Okay wait now I get it...

You are also limited to using a maximum of two Pokemon out of the list of Dialga, Giratina, Groudon, Ho-Oh, Kyogre, Lugia, Mewtwo, Palkia, and Rayquaza, meaning you will never see three of these Pokemon on one team.

Water Pokémon Master said:
Okay wait now I get it...

You are also limited to using a maximum of two Pokemon out of the list of Dialga, Giratina, Groudon, Ho-Oh, Kyogre, Lugia, Mewtwo, Palkia, and Rayquaza, meaning you will never see three of these Pokemon on one team.

... Ah, that makes more sense.

I still wish they weren't allowed at all, though, but oh well. Guess I'd better get to catching a Rayquaza.

Great.2 Scarf Kyogres.-_-.Oh and 6 Suicunes.This VGC is going to be the worst one yet-if they don't add anything else.

There's still Species Clause and Item Clause. And you can lead with Groudon if you want to annoy Kyogre, and lead with another Pokemon that can OHKO it, too. This might not be so terrible, if you can get your hands on Ubers easily.

Oh good.And Groudon gets killed by Ice beam.Trust me though,Kyogre is the king of Ubers...rain water spout....

Back