(1) All 'Clash at the Summit' Scans and Translations! [7/6]

I love all the new trainers and the legends they all look pretty cool and have some nice attacks.

The new trainers are IMO the highlight of the set.
The primes are good(prolly overhyped but...)
The Legends sux...(just too slow...maybe next year...)
The other stuff has some good cards too though..
Rescue Energy is great.

The pokemon in this set aren't at all as appealing as I was expecting. I do see a few things in this set that should be interesting to see with our MD-on format when these cards come out in English...

Machamp Prime - Finally... A decent bulky partner for Donphan Prime that isn't Flygon. Donphan Prime's Earthquake will just open the doors for Machamp Prime's second attack, Macho Buster will be doing sick damage... and that's not including the power boost that it can get when leveled up. Overall, a very decent partner. Donphan Prime will provide early game damage while Machamp Prime provides later game damage. This will be one to keep an eye on, in my opinion.

Yanmega Prime - One word: Copycat. This will make a good early game attacker, especially for no energy, but this card does have a couple of very ugly downsides. For one, Lightning weakness means that Luxray GL Lv X will eat this bug for lunch... I didn't know that they eat bugs... Eh... Secondly, this thing needs a partner. With more and more pokemon out there capable of hitting for HUGE damage coming out in virtually every set, the damage that this thing does will be laughably smaller the later the game gets, as 70 damage (90 with Expert Belt) is nothing that a great many pokemon can't rival. The Poke-Body does open up the doors for a deck style similiar to Gyarados, though, without having to worry about prized Magikarps, so people that run Gyarados currently are sure to have the urge to run this guy. Hand size will be a constant problem, but as mentioned, Copycat will solve this, and VS Seekers will easily be able to recycle used Copycats when needed. He certainly has potential waiting to be unlocked, so this is one to keep in mind.

Celebi Prime - Could very well earn a spot as a tech against evolutions in Powerade decks (Leafeon and Roserade), which is bound to gain some popularity. Very good tech for the mirror match, especially. It's a dead draw against SP decks, though, and 60 HP just makes this nothing more than a meat shield that Luxray GL Lv X will happily eat up (great... now it's eating half plant, half fairy creatures...). This card definately stands out as a very nice tech for Powerade decks, though. A bit restricted to certain decks due to the energy requiements, but it can't just be ignored, either.

Magmortar - The more cards that I see coming out, the more that I begin to see that deck milling can become possible as a legitemate way of winning. Flygon Lv X was first to knock on the door, then Dialga & Palkia LEGEND appearred (see further down this post), and now this card. I can so see people combining this with their Typhlosion Prime and Ninetales for constant energy acceleration for decent deck milling every turn. In the right hands, despite Wildfire's flippy effect, this could tear apart a deck pretty quick simply due to the energy acceleration involved. Imagine stacking 2+ Typhlosion Primes with this. Sick. I would personally like to try out this new style of deck milling with this card. Water weakness and a pathetic 100 HP are two hurdles to overcome, but hey, thats's the name of the game, here...

Golduck - Ahhh... Brings back sweet memories of how well my Tankfeon deck (Leafeon Lv X with Leafeon-RR's body and Dawn Stadium) performed at the Battle Roads, only now this is in water form and doesn't require a Lv X, at the cost of considerable lower HP. The upside is that it's healing potential is endless due to Feraligatr Prime's Rain Dance. The downside? It's only for itself and it can't be a damage sponge as well as Leafeon can be. I could see maybe a few rogue Golduck decks running around, but they're just a bit too brittle by today's competitive means.

Electivire - While admittingly a bit slow, Crobat G plus Poketurn works well with this guy. Say hello to a nasty 50 spread damage out of nowhere! If only Electivire from SW and Electivire Lv X from MT were staying in format... Oh well, this is still a card not to underestimate.

Solrock/Lunatone - Techs is the name of these two's game. Shut's down Tankfeon's and Golduck's (see above), and more notably, Garchomp C Lv X's healing capabilities.

Bronzong - Bronzong has always seemed to have some little trick up its sleeve when made into a card, and this one is no different. Without a doubt, any deck that runs LEGENDS as attackers (aside from Magnezone and Entei & Raikou LEGEND) will run this to get them out faster. Especially Dialga & Palkia LEGEND decks.

Pidgeot - While it may not be a great competitive card at the moment (ugly lightning weakness always has to interfere with an interesting card), this is definately a fun card at the least. I wouldn't be surprised to see some rogue Pidgeot decks around to mess with the opponent's resources.

Kyogre & Groudon LEGEND - Talk about dual roles... This thing backs as a deck miller and an attacker all in one card. You can either go for deck milling with Giant Wave, or ungodly massive damage with Big Eruption, which combines well with Delcatty PT for Power Circulating two energies back to the top of your deck, thus guaranteeing 200 damage, a OHKO on any pokemon in the current format. Lightning and Grass weakness makes it food for Luxray GL Lv X and Jumpluff (which are both in the same deck, coincidently). Should be interesting to see what people do with this, though. It's got so many doors open to it.

Palkia & Dialga LEGEND - The attacks might not look like much individually, but the truth is that these two attacks work together splendidly. Sudden Delete is for stalling the opponent's set up, while Manipulate Time is for a little deck milling while making your opponent work harder to win the game, but there are a number of hurdles it needs to overcome. Manatric SF will nullify Sudden Delete's effectiveness (which Dialga G Lv X can counter), electric weakness calls Luxray GL Lv X to the dinner table yet again, and the additional fire weakness probably makes this the worst weakness combination to have entering the next format with fire decks bound to gain popularity with Ninetales as the only draw engine that could attempt a rivalry with the rotating-out Claydol. An intersting card (or cards), never-the-less.

Rayquaza & Deoxys LEGEND - At first glace, this looks so terrible, it might look as if it's another failed LEGEND destined to join Ho-oh LEGEND in the binder, but on the other hand, this thing has some potential that can be exploited. A Poke-body that basically turns your opponent's pokemon into EX pokemon meat is never a bad thing. The attack, however, may make a few eye-brows turn away from this card as not being worthy enough. Any attack with 4 energy equates to OMFG-slow. Typhlosion Prime is an excellent partner for this thing, though. This is one of those big risk, big gain cards (and potentially a deck). Although it's slow as Slowpokes to power up, it makes up for it once it starts hitting. Ozone Climax costs 2 fires, a lightning, and a colorless energy to use. It does 150 damage and forces you to discard all fire energies attached to it. Now assuming that you know better than to attach another fire energy for the colorless energy slot, this means that you're only discarding two fire energies. You gain two prize cards from the resulting OHKO. Then next turn, use Typhlosion Prime's Afterburning power and your energy attachment for the turn to get two fire enegies back on Rayquaza & Deoxys LEGEND. Now it's ready to strike again. Fire off again, you take two more prize cards, and it's rinse and repeat to get your last two prizes. Best part of all, it probably has the best weakness combination of any of the LEGENDS out right now. Gallade/Gardevoir decks will be gone next format, so psychic weakness won't be an issue much, while Flygon decks are the only coloreless pokemon that pose a treat to its colorless weakness. Flygon's popularity will more than likely ride on how much Claydol's loss will affect them. It will likely still hang around, but it won't be the same like it is right now. By no means underestimate this card. It may look unplayable, bit it's hiding under its belt a powerful, quick sweep when powered up and teamed with Typhlosion Prime.

Junk Arm - It's about time something came out to recycle trainers more reliably than Marley's Request. I'm not ecstatic about discarding two cards from my hand, but this can reuse Poketurns, Luxry Balls, Pokemon Communications, Expert Belt... The list is endless.

Black Belt / Twins - It's nice to see that players with slower deck can actually benefit from being that little bit slower thanks to these cards. Will make decks with LEGENDS (especially Rayquaza & Deoxys LEGEND) a little more playable.

Indigo Plateau - A LEGEND deck's favorite stadium card. No more Snowpoint Temple for unwillingly helping opposing SP decks.

Rescue Energy - I'm sure mana people have their eyes on this card, and so do I. This provides energy and recovery ability in one easy-to-use card, which is huge when preserving deck space. Thank god.

I, personally, like this set alot. I could ramble on about all the cards I like, but I'm too lazy/tired. Two of my favorites though are Yanmega Prime, and Rescue Energy, which are awesome. legends suck, which is sad because I was looking forward to Ray/Deoxys Legend (The fake one that I made up would've been SOOOOOOOOOOO much better).

But actually, my favorite card in the set is Cubone. Does anyone else see a Cubone/Banette PT deck? Discard all Marowak from your hand, attach a DCE and Expert Belt and attack. Who cares if its attack sux? Im reducin' 80 damage!!!!!

I also like Solrock, which has a really weird but fun cool power. A bunch of others but I wont list right now.

I love Rescue Energy, but Scizor Prime says, "Hello!" Daren, I love the Cubone as well. Stacking PlusPowers on Cubone FTW?

EspeonROX said:
I love Rescue Energy, but Scizor Prime says, "Hello!" Daren, I love the Cubone as well. Stacking PlusPowers on Cubone FTW?

"I'll attach an expert belt and 4 plus powers to cubone. ATTACK!"
*flip tails*
"FML this game sux."

Pluspowers aren't great on a flippy attack.

esperante said:
wow, the art on the entire electabuzz line is awesome.

Yeah, this is the only thing I like about this set (or most other sets really) is the amazing artwork.

Like I said before, the only cards I like in this set is Black Belt and Recover Energy. A lot of the other cards like the Trainer Finder, Twins, Yanmega Prime+Judge/Copycat, and the Alph Lithograph seem like only fun or mediocre cards to me.

dmaster out.

- Darkrai - said:
Anyone notice that Drapion is shiny in his card artwork (Red, instead of purple)?

It always looks like that. Just look at the other Drapion artwork from different sets.

What a way to end the LEGEND series. On a whimper.

Not many of the cards stand out. Only the Primes that were already shown are any good. Most of the Rares and uncommon are not good. Electivire could work, but Donphan destroys that. It's nice to have another Magmortar, but that is the worst card of its species because its HP is low and its attacks are lame. Mamoswine is nice, but it's not really amazing either. Wailord is only decent. Electrode Prime is shamefully bad. Yanmega Prime only works if your opponent can tell you how many cards he has at all times and even then you have to play carefully.The only cards that are good are Golduck, Bronzong, Indigo Plateau, Twins, Blackbelt, and the Legends.

I hope the Black & White set is better.

As usual, I love the Supporters.

I was actually hoping for a Twins-card. Yay for my dreams being fulfilled, I guess? x3

I'm glad that there's finally an Indigo Plateau card after all these years, but did it have to be specific to those gimmicky Legend cards? I'm also happy that there's finally a Twins supporter. Hyper cute.

I like Porygon2 and PorygonZ. There aren't many cards that allow you to search up a Stadium card or bring Trainers out of the discard pile. Machamp prime looks like it could be fun. Imagine a Machamp prime tag team. Yanmega prime can be fun in any deck for some situational damage (or after Copycat).

Meaty said:
It always looks like that. Just look at the other Drapion artwork from different sets.
That would be one drapion, as the DP drapion is clearly not shiny, and neither is the Lv.X. The SF one however, is oddly shiny, I bet it was a mishap in the coloring. But this drapion is more than likely proof of an odd pattern they seem to be doing. There was gyrados, and now there's this.

Back