01/04/2012 city championship report

cf11

Aspiring Trainer
Hey everyone I am a new member of the forums and I thought I would do my first article on a city championship report. Some of you might know me as cf11basketball on youtube, but anyways I am playing D & D (Donphan and Dragons)

I arrived half an hour early and the card shop was packed. It took a while to go up the stairs to the main event room where there were 50 people in the master division. I finally got to the registration desk and I thanked my lucky stars I did my decklist online. So afterwards I hung out with the usuals after I registered. After the wait they finally announced we were about to begin there was 18 people in my division (seniors) with 5 rounds of swiss with a top cut of 4. So enough of me blabbing on lets start the report.

Round 1- Quin (Lanturn, Eelectrik, stunfisk, fliptini)

This match started with me having a phanpy (HGSS) active. We rolled the dice and I got to go first which was a huge advantage. We flip our cards and I see he starts with a cleffa. I use collector for two phanpy and a cleffa I play them all down and use switch to get cleffa active and eek. I got an incredible hand (2 Donphan, 1 reshiram, 1 communication and 2 energy. I play the two donphans then communicate for the last one. He had a stunfisk (he retreated cleffa on his turn) active so I decided to attach and eek since I had no cards in my hand. Next turn he top decks collector getting 2 tyname (30 hp) and a chinchou. He attaches to chinchou (I guess he didn't attach last turn because he was saving it for chinchou) uses switch into the cleffa and eeks. I attach to my other donphan and play down kyurem attach eviolite to cleffa and earthquake for the first prize. His turn he brings up chinchou evolves to lanturn and eelektrik attaches dce (to lanturn) uses junk arms two energy for communication to get one more eelektrik and then double dynamotors. He then uses underwater dive to ko my donphan :(. Luckily I had two more bring it up playdown a zorua and attach dce before earthquaking for the knockout. He brings up stunfisk and top decks juniper which allows him to attach before playing fliptini and another stunfisk which he double dynamotors to and then he passes. I play down a zoroark and earthquake for sixty. On his turn he dynamotors to stunfisk attaches to his active stunfisk and does 30. Next turn I knock him out and on his turn he promotes stunfisk. It is really annoying as he uses a thundershock to do 30 and paralyzes my donphan. I use a pont and get a switch to do 60. He thundershocks me for 4 turns eventually koing my donphan. During those turns he was able to set up another lanturn. When I finally kill his stunfisk he rings up lanturn to revenge ko me but I just kill him right back with eathquake and he promotes eelektrik. He draws and says good game. It's always great to win your first match as it makes it easier to make it to top cut.

Record 1-0

Round 2 Gilbert (CoKE)

So I start with phanpy to his lone voltorb. I go first and get a rainbow which I attach to phanpy I play down one more phanpy before collectoring for zekrom, cleffa and kyurem attacking and passing. His turn he top decks terrakion and uses switch before attaching and passing. I draw and have a terrible hand I attach a lightning to Zekrom and flail for 10. His turn he plays down one more voltorb before passing. I top deck juniper and before I use it I attach to zekrom and then draw 7 which gives me a switch to get zekrom active after that I outrage for 20. On his turn he ponts into an electrode and a communication which allows him to do 2 energymites.He only does one getting 1 water and two special metal he attaches the water to terrakion and retaliates for 60. Next turn I attach a rainbow to zekrom and use bolt strike for knock out. He brings up electrode attaches rainbow and catchers phanpy hoping I don't have a way of getting donphan he uses gigashock which I have never seen someone use. On my turn I top deck Cheren use it and guess what my first card was!! It was.... DONPHAN!!!!! I evolve attach and earthquake for game.

Record 2-0

I am feeling good going into next round and find out I am facing a player from 5 hours away that is also playing D & D.

Round 3 Antoiene (D & D)

I start with zekrom and he starts with two phanpy. He goes first attaches a rainbow and flails for 20. I draw and I have nothing in my hand I am forced to attach a DCE and outrage for 10 (He uses COL phanpy). Next turn I realize he didn't play a supporter, because he had donphan in his hand so he plays it and earthquakes for the game.

I wasn't upset as I knew I only had to win two more games to top cut.

Round 4 Keenan (LaKE)

I go first with a lone phanpy to his lone voltorb and right away I know I can win. I attach a rainbow before using juniper. I was going for the plus power and sure enough I got it using it to donk him.

Alright so I do the math and one 3-2 is going to make hopefully I don't go 3-2 putting pressure on me so I go into my next match focused.

Round 5 Awais (Zeel)

I was pretty excited when I found out he was playing zeel I knew I had the upperhand. He goes first and starts with tornadus active a tyname (40 hp) and a zekrom on the bench to my phanpy and zekrom. The game was really slow for me, but incredibly fast for him. BY turn 3 he was hurricaning/boltstriking every turn :(. By the time I got donphan it was too late as tornadus with eviolite was too much.

Record after swiss 3-2 :cool:

I am not feeling too great about my loss, but hope for the best. 10 minutes later the standings are up and I got 4th :D!!!! I was so excited the person (Shaun) in 5ths opponents beaten win percentage was 60% and mine was 62.something% so props to Shaun for coming close.

Top 4 Antoiene (D & D)

So it is Antoine from round 3 who went undefeated to get the 1 seed. I knew I had a good chance as the matchup was 50-50. Game 1 I started phanpy to his kyurem. He attaches DCE then plus powers before using juniper he gets one more plus power which enables him to donk me :(. Ouch it's never good to lose the first game. Game 2 I get 3 donphans he gets 4!! soon it is a prize race and he gets his kyurem fully loaded to use outrage and is able to win in the prize race!!

So that ended my day right there, but I went home with some championship points (yay) :p and 4 packs which I ended up pulling a FA N. Overall it was a lot of fun. I would like to thank my mom for giving up her day to take me and to the organizers for making the event possible.

Until next time cf11

Congrats on top four! It sucks to get donked like that, though.

(Bumping by request; he accidentally posted this in Article Submissions and nobody got to see it when he first posted. I know it hasn't been posted in for 15 days.)

Nice job, nice report. Looks like D&D may be competitive for a month or so. We'll have to wait and see.
You're lucky, my cities have about 2-5 seniors (1 guy playing rouge) I win pretty much every small tournament we have here.

Back