N's Rhyperior

Aspiring Trainer
Beedrill V - can snipe support Pokémon, too much bench space to occupy. 4
Yanma/Yanmega - Meh, let's move on. 2/2
Eevee/Leafeon/Glaceon - never on this Eevee if you want a deck that swarms Eeveelutions. We just need good Eeveelutions tho. 4/3,3
Shaymin - could be decent setup card. 3
Petilil/H. Lilligant - meh. 2/2
H. Lilligant V/VSTAR - Thanks to Gardenia, my opinion changed on this card. Could be good on its own, could be good on Arceus variants. 4/4-5
Rowlet/Dartrix/H. Decidueye - free atk Decidueye version. Okay. 2/2/3-4
H. Voltorb/Electrode - meh. 2-3/2
Kricketot/Kricketune - meh. There are some situations that you dont need the ability. Shaymin Lv. X has this ability and its not metabreaking. 3/3
Torkoal - meh. 1-2
Blipbug/Dottler/Orbeetle - my point still stand on Orbeetle. A tech card for a tech card. 3/3/3
Ponyta/Rapidash - meh. 1/1-2
Heatran V/VMAX - at least Machamp is good, right? 3/3
Psyduck/Golduck - too much expensive for a functional OHKO. 2/2
Poliwag/Poliwhirl/Politoed - good card... if it wasnt for the fact that it is a Stage 2. 2-3/3/3,4
Shellos/Gastrodon - you'll get Lumi, and thats it. 2/3
Mantine - meh. 2
Ducklett/Swanna - meh. 2/2
Oshawott/Dewott/H. Samurott - decent card, bad format, even worse for the Rare Candy stuff that I've talked before. 3/3/4
Cyndaquil/Quilava/H. Typhlosion - meh. 3/3/3-4
Regis - sad it is only Drago gets the draw option. Although it is very interesting concept, but too awkward to pull it out.
Rock (3-4), Ice (2), Steel (3), Eleki (3), Drago (4), Gigas (3-4)
O. Palkia V/VSTAR - 3-4/4-5. Nice VStar Power, can be used via surprised, but don't sleep on the potential 2 energy 260 atk, before I even mentioned those dmg modifiers. But its cool without these since most of them like Choice Belt are 1-of cards anyway.
Bergmite/H. Avalugg - Wait, that means Zoroark and Enamorous are the only PLA mons not being introduced in the TCG? 2/2
Togepi/Togetic/Togekiss - my point is the same. Not enough to nullify the dmg that Pokemon normally do. 2/2/3
Mawile - meh. 2
Drifloon/Drifblim - meh. 2/2
Jirachi V - this could be interesting. a High Class Exp. Share but idk in what situation where Jirachi is reliable. 3-4. It is on a basic V, btw.
Cresselia - not enough. 3
Uxie/Mesprit/Azelf - same thing as PLA Mesprit, Not good. 2/3/2
Inkay/Malamar - ehh. 2/2-3
H. Growlithe/Arcanine - ehh. 2/2-3
Makuhita/Hariyama - meh. 2/2
Carbink - there are times that the item search is useful, and that is t1 going second. 3 Geodudes
Machamp V/VMAX - Great card .. if it wasnt for Mew. 3/4
Kleavor V/VSTAR - fine. 3/3. Good thing it was a promo.
Sudowoodo - I just rather run Tapu Koko or Rain Castform for Free Retreat. 2-3
Unidentified Fossil/Cranidos/Rampardos - Fossil Stage 2, iffy main atk, 3/3/3
U.Fossil/Shieldon/Bastiodon - what a disappointment. 3/3/2-3
Mienfoo/Mienshao - meh. 1/1
Spinarak/Ariados - Good thing we have VMAX that does a better job than Ariados. 2/2
H. Sneasel/Sneasler - renamed Dodrio's ability. When was the last time Retreat Aid saw play? 3/3
H. Sneasler V - if it wasnt for Rare Candy, Butterfree might be the better option. I just hoped that RC wont rotate this Sept. 3-4
Darkrai - how does the set numbering work with Sneasler? 2-3
Nickit/Thievul - always an interesting card, stops gusting. 3/3-4
Magnemite/Magneton/Magnezone - 3/3/4
Bronzor/Bronzong - remember the last time Zacian decks randomly tech in Bronzong, just to counter Welder decks? Such times. 3/3-4
O. Dialga V/VSTAR - That VSTAR Power only see some interest in Expanded. 4/4
Pawniard/Bisharp - wanky atk, too situational. 3/4
Magearna - meh. 2-3 Geodudes
Lickitung/Lickilicky - meh. 2/2
Teddiursa/Ursaring/Ursaluna - nice to see Ursaluna here. 3/3/3
Oranguru V - 1-of tech card. Searches tools, yet the atk is just fine, as Arceus decks mostly run DTE anyway. 3-4
Rufflet/H. Braviary - meh. 2/2
Skwovet/Greedent - 3/3
Komala - sucks that it has a bad atk. The prize denial could be used on somthing else. 2-3
Wydeer V - a suprise finishing card. I misjudge it the first time I see this. 5 Geodudes
Gardenia's Vigor - 5 Geodudes. I love the concept that you have to draw first, hopefully youll too deck an energy.
Switch Cart - Pokemon Vs will be greatly abuses it, Maybe. 3-4
Energy Loto - hoping to get the T1 Double Turbo or T1 FSE. 4 Geodudes
H. Heavy Ball/Feather Ball - both items that the accursed Mew/Genesect decks will absolutely love it. 4/4
Super-Effective Glasses - this makes cards that do crap nugget dmg being relevant. Sadly, it might fall as a 1-of thingy, and not all the time you'll use it.3-4
Trekking Shoes - We need Item cards that do some a little bit consistency. 5 Geodudes
Adaman - 4
Irida - 4-5 Geodudes
Zisu - a decent draw card, but doesn't outmatched Professor's Research. Its more like an improved Battle Reporter...oh wait. Its more like an improved Korrina's Focus. 4
Choy - Mah? 3
Grant - 5 Geodudes. Such a cool concept.
Temple of Sinnoh - 5 Geodudes
Gapejaw Bog - 5 Geodudes

Man, am I late for this? Sorry if I'm late coz Pokemon GO stuff. TGR not showing up for days. That's it.

Kangaflora

Aspiring Trainer
As there is only enough space for 180 cards before Ultra Rares, if my calculations are correct, from all of the Japanese sets combined into Astral Radiance for the English version, we will lose at least 64 cards which will be saved for August's set.

beatbox2000

Aspiring Trainer
As there is only enough space for 180 cards before Ultra Rares, if my calculations are correct, from all of the Japanese sets combined into Astral Radiance for the English version, we will lose at least 64 cards which will be saved for August's set.
I feel like they will put some into Pokemon Go otherwise that will be a 90 card set.

Are they consciously trying not to make another CR/ES/FS style set?

The cut cards here + DP + LA will take us into the 220s+ for LO. 64 cards is a lot - plus none of the FAs+ are being cut since all the URs are present.

In fact, this might be another set with a super high % of rare+ cards as a proportion of the set.

fleshrum

Cephalophore
I don't understand why bastiodon has this ability. The previous bastiodon completely outclasses it.
I know this is the general trend a the moment, but holy crap the non-RR cards keep reaching new lows.

autumn

wurmple enthusiast
I don't understand why bastiodon has this ability. The previous bastiodon completely outclasses it.
I know this is the general trend a the moment, but holy crap the non-RR cards keep reaching new lows.
i'm not saying it's necessarily good or better than the ultra prism bastiodon, but they're like *completely* different so i feel like you can't really claim that it completely outclasses it. the ultra prism one only protects metal pokemon from special energy attacks so is pretty limited in scope, whereas this protects everything from all Vs, less powerful protection but could be used in a much wider variety of situations

taveryri

Aspiring Trainer
So many options for creative stadiums and they decide to print a stadium with an effect of another card that already exists in the format lol. Wtf

N's Rhyperior

Aspiring Trainer
I feel like they will put some into Pokemon Go otherwise that will be a 90 card set.

The cut cards here + DP + LA will take us into the 220s+ for LO. 64 cards is a lot - plus none of the FAs+ are being cut since all the URs are present.

In fact, this might be another set with a super high % of rare+ cards as a proportion of the set.
Lets remove the bland cards and leave Hisuians

TheRainmaker

I like Expanded
Oranguru V can be really good in Whimsicott or Pachirisu tool decks. Just search Air Balloon to retreat it and something else, then every time your active is knocked out, bring it out, search 2 more tools. Less useful in Expanded where you can run 4 U-Turn Boards and Adventure Bag exists... but even there if you run 1-2 Honchrow V it can pay off. The big downside is that if you run 1-2 Honchrow V and an Oranguru V, suddenly your 1 prize deck gives your opponent a much quicker prize map with the help of Boss (or Guzma in Expanded), something that Celebrations Mew can do in those decks without you putting a 2 prizer on board, at the cost of potentially whiffing a tool and also only getting 1 tool at a time (unless said Mew searches an Adventure Bag in Expanded).

dineinunes

Buzzwole Appreciation Account

Pokémon Go is already confirmed to be 71 cards before secrets.
This whole cutting cards is exactly what end up giving us a bloated Fusion Strike set. I hope they are not going this route again.

FairyLandAlice

Aspiring Trainer
Cre Kecleon + super effective glasses? Anyone?
Arceus VStar to power it up, so if you go for it with boss's orders you can prep another one while attacking with Arceus. Only attach the glasses when ready to attack! Look for them with the VStar power if necessary.

And, I don't know, aren't there a lot of possibilities with one-prizer decks with multiple type attackers? Like Wormadam.

Those glasses sure look interesting.

beatbox2000

Aspiring Trainer
Pokémon Go is already confirmed to be 71 cards before secrets.
This whole cutting cards is exactly what end up giving us a bloated Fusion Strike set. I hope they are not going this route again.
You do realize that this set without cuts is already at 241 cards minimum? And that's only all the revealed cards from BR/Decks/Gym Promos/TG/SJ. You can check on justinbasil. He hasn't updated with what will be guaranteed cards: FA Gardenia, Grant, Choy, Zisu etc. so it's more like 260 minimum.

That's the reason they are cutting cards. It only works if there is space to put them in the next set.

Pokemon Go is not confirmed to be 71 - that's only Japan. English would do well to throw in these C/U/R cards inside instead of letting the next set or the 4th set balloon, which it will.

Lost Abyss and DP are already 170 cards before secrets.

TeamEclipse

Aspiring Trainer
Jirachi seems cool for sure but Trekking Shoes are the standout for me. The card seems absolutely ridiculous

Pikachu2111

Aspiring Trainer
Btw, baby hisuian lilligant's first attack also makes lilligant go to the bench. It has the exact same sentence as the petilil it evolves from.

Flygonite

Meta/budget player
The Super-Effective Glasses will make Wormadam Zoroark box decks fairly stronger. As it stands, the deck has a problem getting a OHKO on some targets such as Mew (though this one is solved by Mightyena), Gengar and Calyrex Ice. Now you can actually OHKO the latter two without getting an outrageous number of mons in the discard pile.

cardgjammer

Aspiring Trainer
If Switch rotates in territories outside Jap, then Switch Cart will replace it, but not fully: Only works if the Active is a basic. I wonder if TPCi is against having more than four easy outs combined, in any deck, for VMAXes and other evolved pokemon, that can be used more than once per turn. If Rare Candy's cut from the 2022-23 standard format in non-Jap, that will show it: If you evolve a basic, it will lose the ability to switch using trainers that are NOT named Cross Switcher, as that will be the only switching card left in Standard that can be used without added drawbacks such as "one use per turn", "only usable if the Active is a Basic", etc.

At this rate, why not force players to restore sleep and/or paralysis and retreat to a Basic and make things harder for the evolved, TPCi? :(

Last edited: