“Scarlet & Violet” TCG Roundup: All News Known So Far!

Water Pokémon Master

I like Pokemon more than you! :p
Webmaster
Elite Member
Advanced Member
The first Scarlet & Violet cards were revealed at Worlds in August, along with news the original “Pokemon ex” mechanic would be returning.

Koraidon-ex-Miraidon-ex-200x128.jpg

Mimikyu-Lucario-Magnezone-EX-200x111.jpg

Pokemon-ex-mechanic-200x113.jpeg

The original Pokemon ex mechanic ran from 2003’s EX Ruby & Sapphire until 2007’s EX Power Keepers. Pokemon ex featured greater HP and stronger attacks than non-ex Pokemon, so they gave up two Prize cards when Knocked Out. They evolved from their regular pre-Evolutions. For example, a Stage 1 Raichu ex evolved from Pikachu and a Stage 2 Blaziken ex evolved from Combusken...

Continue reading...

I think it's fair to compare GX to the new ex and finally aknowledge the power creep.
Magnezone ex is a 2-prizer stage 2. It has 330hp.
Metagross GX was a 2-prizer stage 2. It had 250hp.
That's 80hp difference, which kinda equals to an extra prize card. 330hp is also the same hp as any 3 prizer.
I wished they slowly started decreasing the power creep to create a more balance experience, where decks from 4 years ago can still compete against current ones.
One thing I loved about the SUMO era (up until TagTeam) was that basic GX had the same HP as basic EX.

I think it's fair to compare GX to the new ex and finally aknowledge the power creep.
That's 80hp difference, which kinda equals to an extra prize card. 330hp is also the same hp as any 3 prizer.
I wished they slowly started decreasing the power creep to create a more balance experience, where decks from 4 years ago can still compete against current ones.
I agree, they more they keep up this power creep. The more, older generation decks cannot compete against current ones. I would have loved for them to slowly start decreasing the power of cards, until things are more balanced and older decks can compete

One thing I loved about the SUMO era (up until TagTeam) was that basic GX had the same HP as basic EX.
I honestly don't get being upset by seeing this now. The powercreep itself hasn't gone up much at all since the spike in power 4 years ago caused by tag team. These numbers are fair for the power level the game's been at for approaching half a decade. Expanded was dying way before the powercreep went up and if you were trying to make old Pokemon work compared to newer mons you were probably huffing copium of a supreme sort.
Being upset about them powercreeping stage 2 GX is such a bizarre concept for me too. You mean the stage 2 GXs that were near universally unplayable at a serious level because the power gap between a stage 1 and a stage 2 was so tiny there was no justification for it? As far as I'm concerned I'll take a bloated, insane stage 2 if it means bringing them back into the format 100% of the time.

I really wonder what they'll do for Terastalizing. Will the hats be Tool cards you can use to change your Pokemon's type? Will they do 5-10 Tera ex cards in every set and then have normal exes be in there too? I'm excited to see what they go for, and I'm WAYYYYYYYYY too excited to see new mons in cards.

I can't wait for this set! I wasn't playing the TCG back when ex was a thing but Im still happy to see its return!

Back