ProfesserPopplio

Professional Air Breather
I could care less tbh. Nice how all rare are now holos. This will be a new interesting expansion to the PTCG

Last edited:

Ranger64

Mewtwo Mastermind
This is the best thing that has happened to the TCG since the first Mewtwo card was printed.

fleshrum

Cephalophore
I'm here for the rarity-based format divisions this opens up, but not much else. Buy singles.

Lostlorn Forest

Alola is the best region
RIP aesthetic appeal of non-holo rares and value of holo rares. Cue Spider-Man meme: "I have nothing left... nothing but reverse holo rares"

bktan

Aspiring Trainer
It could be better but to act as if this isn't better than before is weird.

There will be less bulk because there are no more fake uncommon and rare cards. Bigger pool of common/uncommon cards means less of each. No rare cards taking up the rare slot means you complete holos faster and reduces the pool of cards by between 15-39 cards (SM/SWSH era).

The 34 AR/SAR being part of the reverse slot also means that the number of cards in the rare slot decreases further. It was up to 144 each in Chilling Reign and Evolving Skies over 60% of the cards in the set being pulled from 1 slot. It was beyond terrible.

For SV Base it will be 59 cards in the rare slot. The last time it was that low in quantity was XY: Evolutions. The last time it was that low as a % of the set? Never. This is the first set where less than 25% of the cards are pulled from the rare slot. It is a massive improvement.

Pokémon Spears

Aspiring Trainer
what I hate the most is when the reverse holo is a Trainer card, I couldn't care less about them and I feel robbed every time I pull one of those, including those golden cards, which I happen to have several of them

Porygatto

Pixel artist
The american prize increased and it's still 25% less than the current italian price.
I don't even want to know how much they will get to cost in Italy...

Gashnet

Aspiring Trainer
I don't get people getting mad over normal rares. They where so devalued. When the TCG started people hated trainer rares because it was a complete waste of a pack. Fast forward 20 years trainer rares are better than 90% of the rares. During SM they hid staple trainers as uncommons even though their pull rate was rare. Who cares. Nobody wanted to see a rare Mismagius that only did 70 damage.

This is good news for reverse foils collectors and decent for enthusiasts who don't want to see jank rares and overall a better chance of pulling two big cards.

TokenDuelist

YGO TCG is Cheaper. Fight me.
I don't get people getting mad over normal rares. They where so devalued. When the TCG started people hated trainer rares because it was a complete waste of a pack. Fast forward 20 years trainer rares are better than 90% of the rares. During SM they hid staple trainers as uncommons even though their pull rate was rare. Who cares. Nobody wanted to see a rare Mismagius that only did 70 damage.

This is good news for reverse foils collectors and decent for enthusiasts who don't want to see jank rares and overall a better chance of pulling two big cards.
For the past decade I've noticed the Pokemon TCG fanbase be too complacent with poor decisions. This goes for western fanbases for card games overall. They have a massively toxic "Card games cost money get used to it" mentality. Pokemon being the worst offender for toxic behavior.

I've been making this criticism for so long only for people to act out angrily when as customers they absolutely deserve better. They still DO deserve better, the entire english TCG structure needs a massive re haul to be in line with Japanese products. There is far too much ignorance.

Anyone who complains about "rares" being removed is one of two things:

1) A genuinely out of touch player who hates change, even if said change is beneficial. Nothing is changing with these cards, they're still going to be non-holo, they aren't taking away anything special. If your mindset was "but rare holo is supposed to mean something" you're an ignorant buffoon with a gambling addiction.

2) You hate it because you fear it de-valuing your money cards. You aren't on the side of the players or collectors: You're a money grubbing clown. If these cards are seen as nothing but money to you, you were never one of us to begin with.

Diego Lima

Aspiring Trainer
Here in Brazil we have a shitty pack that doesn't even has a guaranteed rare (I heard the japanese ones are like that as well?), I wonder how this change in configuration will affect our packs, if at all...

Pokémon Spears

Aspiring Trainer
Tell me you don't actually play this game without telling me you don't actually play this game.
haha well, of course I don't play the game, I only collect the Pokémon cards, but even if I played I'd still feel robbed that the holo turned out to be a trainer card (especially those that are items) and not a Pokémon. Like, how is it more appealing to get a shiny trainer card than an actual Pokémon?

sonicjms

Bench, Call, Ride, Summon, Cast
Like, how is it more appealing to get a shiny trainer card than an actual Pokémon?
A shiny trainer card can potentially be used in any deck and if it's a one that's often in format you can use that card for years to come, pokemon are basically never reprinted into a new block

Frost

Ice/Fairy Stan Account
Most kids in 1999 hated getting a Trainer as their rare in Base Set and they cut way back on Trainer rares until the Full Art era. I imagine many kids would still feel that way today unless they actually play the game (which is more rare than kids buying a pack here and there because it's Pokemon).