“Scarlet ex and Violet ex” Cards Fully Revealed!

Wait, nobody mentioned that Revaroom just lets you draw up to 6 each turn? Unless it's mistranslated, that's incredibly broken. Compare it to Cinccino from base SwSh.

Some Highlights:
Revaroom has a great ability—it'll be good somewhere.

Dondozo/Tatsugiri could be somewhat effective—it is 2 for 200 on a 160 HP single prize basic, and Tatsugiri can be freely tossed into the discard pile (rather than past iterations, like Gyarados/Magikarp).

Gardevoir ex might like Drifloon—at minimum, it's an easy single prize basic nuke that can do 180 with three uses of Psychic Embrace (on par with say, the Snorlax running around in Lost Box), but with some HP boosting tools, it could be quite good—if Cape of Toughness wasn't leaving us, it'd be able to easily do 300 (ten damage counters, five uses of Psychic Embrace). The trouble with past iterations has been consistently getting enough damage (and energy) on it, and Drifloon with Gardevoir ex has no such problem.

Klefki is cute—ability lock is strong as always, and when paired with Path to the Peak or Aerodactyl Vstar, means that outrunning the lock will be much more difficult.

Skwovet is interesting—at minimum, it's an easy way to avoid decking out, but paired with something like Bibarel, it's a big drawpower boost. Also, Mustard shenanigans.

Miriam looks pretty usable. Getting to still draw 3 after shuffling five Pokemon back is better than previous iterations.

That Atsuko Nishida Vivillon <3

Probably my favorite illustration from her since 2015's Ancient Origins Whimsicott. Gives off similar vibes to some of her earlier TCG works.

Last edited:
Gyarados ex
Does a lot of damage but also need quite the set up, 5 energies is really notting to sneeze at.
With frosmoth gone and melony only works with V pokemon.
So palkia vstar might a good partner, but I was thinking about vaporeon vmax with bubble prod that way you don't have to play any magikarp, and you get 3 water energies in it but that might be even more set up and to slow.

Gardevoir ex ♥
This card is is easy the best in this set, I am pretty sure this will be played, and with the support kirlia (silver tempest) and the other 2 baby gardevoirs and a gallade that can search out supporters.
This whole line up is incredible.
Plus with cards like lunatone,shadow rider calyrex vmax, wyrdeer v, psychic zacian v, and that basic balloon from this set you get some great options.

Revaroom ?
Pretty good card, but we still have bibarel and with the new bidoof that has build in bench protection, donno if this one is better.

Sidops ex
I like this card, and will be very strong with Leafeon ? vmax (yes go leafy) shame galar mines is gone after this one drops.

Miraidon ex
This makes lighting⚡decks very fast and consistent, 2 of these boys on you bench is 4 mareeps in a single turn for example, that's just nutty XD

Klefki ?
Very good but I would like if it had a support search attack, like for evolving pokemons or a item card or something.

Skwovet
Damm I would liked this card a lot if it was like keep 1 card in your hand shuffle the rest, and then your last card is a single/rapid strike mustard, or your last card is something like a tool or energy which you can easy use so your hisuian arcanine can attack for example.

Last edited:
Wait, nobody mentioned that Revaroom just lets you draw up to 6 each turn? Unless it's mistranslated, that's incredibly broken. Compare it to Cinccino from base SwSh.
Caveat is it needs you discard an energy. Which I guess isnt very hard to do, but you cant just dump your hand and draw to 5 like Abyssal Hand or Insidious Incisors. Still pretty good.

The HP on these Pokemon is getting really high, honestly the second Wailord ex comes out we could be looking at 350-400 HP behemoth. My point here is why reprint Vitality Band of all cards, why not reprint Muscle Band, it is not that much stronger than that card. Wasted opportunity in my opinion.

From a playability standpoint, this is... kinda terrible for a base set tbh. If it wasn't for rotation this would have almost zero meta relevance.

There's some amazing artwork (Gogoat, Krokorok, Magnemite, Toxtricity among them) in the new era's base set, even though I truly miss illustrations by Mitsuhiro Arita and Masakazu Fukuda. Hope they are back at it again in short time! :)

From a playability standpoint, this is... kinda terrible for a base set tbh. If it wasn't for rotation this would have almost zero meta relevance.

Thank god for that, they have to stop the creep at some point. I honestly hope nothing too crazy comes out and next rotation finally leaves us with a more down to earth game again, full of stage 2s and back and forth games.

Love the silver border. Finally. That, along with the new frame and everything, makes this the best the cards have looked since the BW/XY era. I particularly love how Trainers look. I love how much the purple in the tool cards add life to Trainers as a whole. The art is also just generally amazing. Finally having good art of the new mons from this gen really helps making it all much more palatable.

It's kinda funny how only one specific Vivillon pattern is found in Paldea, but the TCG continues to push the same old Meadow pattern.

Back