“Ruler of the Black Flame” Officially Announced for Japan!

Water Pokémon Master

I like Pokemon more than you! :p
Webmaster
Elite Member
Advanced Member
Japan has finally announced its Ruler of the Black Flame set! We first discovered the set’s trademark listing in February and posted that it would feature a Darkness-type Charizard ex in March.
The set will release in Japan on July 28th and feature 108 cards before secret rares.
As posted before, Ruler of the Black Flame will introduce the first Tera Pokemon ex of unusual types. This includes Charizard ex (Darkness), Tyranitar ex (Lightning), and Eiscue ex (Fire).

Eiscue-ex-143x200.png

Continue reading...

Last edited:
Interesting. While Delta Species Pokemon required the Energy of their "switched" type, Tera Pokemon require the Energy of their original type. This makes deckbuilding very interesting and I'm hopeful that at least this part of SV format will be a positive surprise.

I think having attackers that can hit different types effectively and having different weaknesses while keeping the same type of energy attack makes the game a lot more enjoyable.

The basic ones give otherwise one type decks more splashable attackers that hit off-type, and the big evolutions let you do that and take advantage of their bulk better since you can avoid evolving into the one your opponent can OHKO with weakness.

Shame they all still have the no bench damage effect... you're probably gonna use bench barrier anyway to protect your evolving basics, at least for the evolution terra ex's.

The Eiscue is Fire type, but they missed an opportunity to make it the noice form and have the ice melted by the fire tera cap.

Anyways 160 discard one energy and your opponent can't attack next turn can just be countered by switching cards or retreat so not that good I suppose
Shame it sucks, love Eiscue; guess its not the worst thing in the word; just kinda disappointed.

Charizard is really cool, love what they have done with the card; my gamer rants on stage 2 ex has been met; weakness on Mew & Gardi is always amazing and ot combos with Radiant Zard as well as the plethora other Fire Type attacks, (and wyrdeer.) Also the ability thin the deck making getting out more S2's easier. Love the card; great design thankfully not another big nuke.

So the tyranitar uses fighting energy unlike the recently printed (or any in standard for that matter) tyranitar that uses dark!

Big shame, means this ttar doesnt come with a baby one to splash in the same deck

Tyrannitars first attack makes you discard cards from the top of your own deck, not the opponents deck. Finaly we get pokemon with mixed up types, just wished all tera types would have a diffrent type than their usual type.

we now have confirmation that terastal ex of different types still have the same tera effect of bench barrier. disappointed for sure, but it’s not like it’s the end of the world.

Eiscue ex (Fire) - not worth it at all, unless if there's a Fire weak deck that is uprising its usage, yet as of this moment, we don't. Worth noting. 3
Motivation Letter - I can see this on Chien-Pao as a 1-of to give it a boost for the next turn. 4
Charmander/Charmeleon/Charizard ex (Dark) - great ability, but specifically onto Charizard because I don't see this being used in other decks. Plus 151 Charizard is a hard-hitter as well, so who knows? And a beautiful Gold SR as well, iykyk. 2/2/4-5
Larvitar/Pupitar/Tyranitar ex (Electric)- even as a L type tera, F still sucks for energy acceleration. Plus, most of the time you do 150, which is not ideal if you want this to dominate Standard. 3/3/3
Scyther/Scizor - worse ULP Weavile tho. Wish it was CC so that we can easily slap Double Turbo innit and tech in decks to counter Chien-Pao. 2/3
Poppy - could be good by default, but is it good than any optimal supporters we have? 4
Finizen/Palafin - wish it was Evo Advantage. 3/3

Charmander/Charmeleon/Charizard ex (Dark) - great ability, but specifically onto Charizard because I don't see this being used in other decks. Plus 151 Charizard is a hard-hitter as well, so who knows? And a beautiful Gold SR as well, iykyk. 2/2/4-5
No other attackers?
Radiant Charizard
Entei V
Delphox V
Slaking V
Wyrdeer V
Volcarona V
Paldean Taurus
Snorlax LOR

& Some Of These Most Likley Not Real Tier
Lugia CEL
Blissy V
Unown V
Snorlax PGO
Ho-Oh

We’re in short supply of attackers who benefit from Charizard that don’t just get by already with Magma Basin.

As far as a current gameplan for Tera Charizard, pairing it with Delphox V was the first thing to come to mind. Can theoretically get set up turn 2 and pull off either early snipe KOs, or set up damage for Charizard to take KOs later on. Tera Charizard’s damage at 4 prizes taken (300) is a cleanup number that can work on its own by that point.

Radiant Charizard is of course on the table too, but Radiant Charizard is *always* on the table with fire decks.

Arcanine ex is a Pokémon that technically benefits from Charizard, but that’s a clunky deck build. Same thing for 151 Charizard, but at least those are in the same Pokémon line (so you’d just tech a single 151 Charizard if you felt strongly about that.)

No other attackers?
Radiant Charizard
Entei V
Delphox V
Slaking V
Wyrdeer V
Volcarona V
Paldean Taurus
Snorlax LOR

& Some Of These Most Likley Not Real Tier
Lugia CEL
Blissy V
Unown V
Snorlax PGO
Ho-Oh
Radiant Charizard, Entei V, Delphox V, and LORlax sure. Forgot about LORlax myself and it is an option as a single prize attacker with a different niche from Radiant Charizard. Not sure how much lost box players would think to go with Sableye to combat Radiant Charizard tho, as it sounds unproductive.

Slaking V fell heavily out of contention when Lugia was trying attackers, and the same would happen here given we already have Radiant Charizard. Wyrdeer can work but energy power up here is slower than in Lugia.

Almost everything else you said either requires way too much setup or just straight up is outclassed by Radiant Charizard. The best prize lineup feels like 1-2 Tera Zard, 1-2 Delphox, 1 Radiant Charizard mixed in as offset.

Eiscue ex (Fire) - not worth it at all, unless if there's a Fire weak deck that is uprising its usage, yet as of this moment, we don't. Worth noting. 3
Motivation Letter - I can see this on Chien-Pao as a 1-of to give it a boost for the next turn. 4
Larvitar/Pupitar/Tyranitar ex (Electric)- even as a L type tera, F still sucks for energy acceleration. Plus, most of the time you do 150, which is not ideal if you want this to dominate Standard. 3/3/3
Scyther/Scizor - worse ULP Weavile tho. Wish it was CC so that we can easily slap Double Turbo innit and tech in decks to counter Chien-Pao. 2/3
Poppy - could be good by default, but is it good than any optimal supporters we have? 4
Finizen/Palafin - wish it was Evo Advantage. 3/3
Slap a luminous energy on scizor instead and your good to go

So the tyranitar uses fighting energy unlike the recently printed (or any in standard for that matter) tyranitar that uses dark!

Big shame, means this ttar doesnt come with a baby one to splash in the same deck
You can do a thin basic energy split and 2 energy search.
Ad in luminous Energy and you are rocking a deck that can hit Lugia, Palkia, Gardevoir and Mew for weakness.

Once we get fighting tyranitar we can also hit for weakness against Arceus Vstar and Miraidon ex

Back