EmmaTheBest

Aspiring Trainer
Damn, and here I thought this was going to be their answer to Yugioh's Speed Duels...NOPE! It's just Evolutions again. @_@

CxEriK

Aspiring Trainer
Are these cards going to be legal in STD? if yes, that would be a reprint of Rockets Admin instead of N

Da idiot

arceus' 1000'th arm
Okay, these ex cards doesn’t seem to have any letter on them. So they will most likely not get to be standard legal

Chicken008

Aspiring Trainer
Was that it for the TCG? No Live updates? What is this company doing?
Also these tools are going to be nuts in GLC.

Nirvanna21

Mew.
So Pokemon day has been a bit of a bummer for me, there was no Let's Go sequel, and this too was a mixed bag.

This assumes that the product is the thing in question as the celebration of bringing back the Abra line; however, even without this I got issues.

Firstly, this is a pimped up nostalgia version of the Battle Academy, which looks amazing in it's layout but why older cards etc? Older cards to me are a collectable thing, not playable. I might be the only one to think this mind you but, it doesn't functional exactly like Battle Academy wherein it teaches you how to play more recent types of cards. I also hope that unlike Battle Academy, the deck boxes are designed to fit all cards sleeved, because this is an issue currently because no one wants to deal with raw cards when playing.

See, when I thought about the 151 Pokemon TCG thing, I was thinking of two paths going forward. Either proper authentic unlimited reprints of base set, followed by the other older sets; or, a new take on the old cards using modern card designs.

If this turns out to be the celebration of the return (and I hope it's not), then that is sad.

If it isn't, it's still a VERY expensive product for what it ultimately is. But maybe it will be printed to buggery like the Charizard UPC and see price drops due to availability. This ain't MTG levels of stupidity, but it is 1/4 of the way there.

DMYSYS

Aspiring Trainer
According to the article, "Except for Basic Energy cards, the cards in these decks are illegal for tournament play." Which I don't really get, tbh; why not make just the Pokemon Tool cards and any other problematic cards illegal?
It's a question of the regulation marks. None of the cards in these decks will be printed with any regulation marks, so they cann't be legal – except for Basic Energy cards, which have never needed regulation marks printed on them to be legal.

RedTheRoyal

Aspiring Trainer
I honestly don't see the point of not giving these cards regulation markers, especially for the new ones. So far the new cards are on-par with the current format and the reprints aren't anything that breaks the game (except Comp Search but they could've just errata'd it somehow).

I'm also confused on what the goal is here. It's called "classic", but the inclusion of new, modern cards throws that out the window. I guess what they meant by "timeless" was unlimited format with some new cards made to clumsily bridge the gap and make the old cards playable by today's standards?

I feel like they should've just either printed some Base-Fossil structure decks for a premium nostalgia box, or done an Evolutions-esque collection that adapts cards from all eras to make them feel like they belong in the same format. This is some sort of strange halfway point between the two and it's just. So bizarre.

DMYSYS

Aspiring Trainer
All this whining aside, it's interesting that they're still using the incorrect Pokédex entries for the Base Set reprints for the English cards, and even more interesting they're sticking with an incorrect translation of the way the Energy Burn Pokémon Power actually works.

kohu

Aspiring Trainer
I'm in the same boat of wondering who this product is for. If it's classic why did we shoehorn ex pokemon in that have no regulation marker and make a new tool to help the base set starters keep up with the power creep of the current design standards.

I'm interested to see how the decks are actually built. Rain dance is a hell of a thing to balance around.

ZestyGan

Aspiring Trainer
I think this would be really cool as a way to let people use old card types, like Crystal and Trainer Pokemon. They could update it every 8-10 months with newer and newer Pokemon types, until they stop at gen 4, which is what most people consider the most recent 'nostalgic' gen.

But they won't.

Raigetsu

Lightning Trainer

Attachments

• RocketSuicuneexEXTeamRocketReturns105.jpg
    RocketSuicuneexEXTeamRocketReturns105.jpg
    95.6 KB · Views: 4
  • SuicuneexEXTeamMagmavsTeamAqua94.jpg
    SuicuneexEXTeamMagmavsTeamAqua94.jpg
    48.9 KB · Views: 4

Jaxolotl

The Mashup King. https://www.youtube.com/@Jaxolotl
According to the article, "Except for Basic Energy cards, the cards in these decks are illegal for tournament play." Which I don't really get, tbh; why not make just the Pokemon Tool cards and any other problematic cards illegal?
WAIT! theyre gonna ban the ENERGY CARDS but not the frickin 1990 CHARIZARD THAT IS JUST A REPRINT?