“Pokemon TCG: My First Battle” Product Images Revealed!

Water Pokémon Master

I like Pokemon more than you! :p
Webmaster
Elite Member
Advanced Member
Better product images of the “My First Battle” decks have now been revealed! As posted last month, they will release on September 29th. They’re intended to teach new players how to play the game.

Pokemon_TCG_My_First_Battle_Pikachu_Product_Packaging_png_jpgcopy-135x200.jpg

Pokemon_TCG_My_First_Battle_Pikachu_Product_Components_png_jpgcopy-200x110.jpg

Pokemon_TCG_My_First_Battle_Charmander_Product_Packaging_png_jpgcopy-135x200.jpg

Pokemon_TCG_My_First_Battle_Charmander_Product_Components_png_jpgcopy-200x110.jpg

The cards in these decks feature blue borders. They’re also lacking Weakness, Resistance, Retreat, and card numbers.

Bulbasaur-My-First-Battle-Promo-135x200.jpg

Continue reading...

Last edited:
Having taught a lot of players how to play the game, I'm not sure these would be that effective - excluding the entire thing about buying a bunch of cards with no real play value.

A few "basic" decks are good enough and I never saw anyone having issues with them, from child to adult. More importantly, the inclusion of some depth that the player can see, but doesn't know how to properly interact with yet, keeps them engaged and wanting to play another game. Making mistakes is fun, because you get to play another game and not make that mistake again.

It's when new players bring their newly crafted decks to an event and instantly get crushed by some 300+HP having abomination with five energies on Turn 1 (after spending five minutes watching their opponent play solitaire) is where they get discouraged.

Its a nice thing but ineffective, it’s not that kids of 6 can’t learn the tcg. I remember I was at a con and there was a dad with his kid there… they both had all the V battle decks and played with them against eachother, it was so sweet and I played with them one time.. it was cute how the dad was teaching him to play and the son knew a lot of the game! If I could just meet them one more time..

I like that they've clearly gone out of their way to balance the cards with one another, unlike Classic where you just kinda have to ignore weakness if you want to play anything but Venusaur vs Blastoise. (Weird that this is the second set of Kanto starters we've got during the SV block that aren't part of the SV block)

Though yeah, like everyone else has said, this really only serves to teach kids the very basics of the game, which can generally be learned by just reading the little pamphlet that comes with most bigger products or by watching a 3 minute youtube video lol. There really should be a better entry point to the game, I learned through playing with theme decks during XY and genuinely believed that draw 3 was the pinnacle of supporters

Blue boarders makes me miss the plasma cards ? some of my favorite sets right there. Maybe for a Black and White legends game they could have alpha pokemon but with a blue aura and call them like plasma alphas and that they're corrupted by team plasma. That could make for a cool way to bring back the cards i think. Idk just miss them

Blue boarders makes me miss the plasma cards ? some of my favorite sets right there. Maybe for a Black and White legends game they could have alpha pokemon but with a blue aura and call them like plasma alphas and that they're corrupted by team plasma. That could make for a cool way to bring back the cards i think. Idk just miss them
I wish that when we get Legends: Kyurem they bring those back, I LOVED the blue borders

Clearly for very young kids, no weakness kinda makes sense so no one has the upper hand, I wonder if retreat is free or left unexplained, the small decks make sense since kids tend to have trouble shuffling and so games don't take long though I don't see why they couldn't have made say red or yellow backed cards to be dedicated prize cards that were still playable instead of tokens.

Wait, "six prize tokens"? This version of the game doesn't even have prize cards?

Anyway, yeah...like everyone said, this is pretty much pointless.
Yeah, also why are we using Energy cards? Too confusing, should get rid of energy requirements. Play like the dumb kids in my 2000 Pokemon League did. And why do I even need to evolve my cards. Should just play my stage 2 cards from my hand.

Having taught a lot of players how to play the game, I'm not sure these would be that effective - excluding the entire thing about buying a bunch of cards with no real play value.

A few "basic" decks are good enough and I never saw anyone having issues with them, from child to adult. More importantly, the inclusion of some depth that the player can see, but doesn't know how to properly interact with yet, keeps them engaged and wanting to play another game. Making mistakes is fun, because you get to play another game and not make that mistake again.

It's when new players bring their newly crafted decks to an event and instantly get crushed by some 300+HP having abomination with five energies on Turn 1 (after spending five minutes watching their opponent play solitaire) is where they get discouraged.
Thats honestly the main point I never got back into the playing community. Felt like no matter how thoroughly you think up a deck, this just happens.

Looking at the cards, I assume these aren't legal for tournement play, its not a big thing but a lack of weakness and retreat cost with decent HP would give them a pre-evo edge?

No weakness and resistance is not bad as it does not come into play that often, but no retreat is confusing, as back in time Switch was always one of the simplest Trainer cards and deciding whether to discard 1 or 2 Energies or using a Switch card is a basic part of the game.

Back