Diego Lima

Aspiring Trainer
The fact that they made a starter a Blue-footed Booby (yes, that’s the name of a real animal) makes me happy, but I honestly cannot stand open world games because they get boring in about two seconds.

Temtem is the game that in my opinion has achieved the perfect balance between old and new regarding this type of stuff. You have the nice graphics, a big enough world, but the familiarity and fun of the routes and grass stuff that made everyone fall in love with Pokémon games to begin with. I never get people that hate on those parts of the old games, for me it's what makes the old games so charming.

aschefield101

is behind you !
They're never gonna start with a new engine from scratch because that would require more than 2 years of development.
So their 3D engine appeared out of nowhere...right? ;P

The IP as a whole has a stupid amount of money attached to it, freelancing a team for an engine if they must have their own is entirely plausible. There is also the option of existing engines and again, revenue from everywhere could cover that if temporarily, until their desire to use in house stuff rears its ugly head.

The point is, it looks like a PS2 game on a modern system and while the lemmings of the world may go for the minimal approach, I don't.

I expect much better things from a company pulling in these numbers. A company that's been doing it for all these years. AAA used to mean something, alas...

Snowy Lilacs

Aspiring Trainer
"The point is, it looks like a PS2 game on a modern system and while the lemmings of the world may go for the minimal approach, I don't."

Thats kinda rude to call people lemmings. If you don't like something don't need to shit on others just to make you feel better.

Also what kind of PS2 had these graphics!? They where horse shit compared to this. Sorry but this is NINTENDO want Final Fantasy, then play on the damn PS. This is just fine for nintendo.

God I wish folks would go back and stop being negative nancy's over nothing. Yes graphics are NOTHING!

profesor_reglero

Aspiring Trainer
"The point is, it looks like a PS2 game on a modern system and while the lemmings of the world may go for the minimal approach, I don't."

Thats kinda rude to call people lemmings. If you don't like something don't need to shit on others just to make you feel better.

Also what kind of PS2 had these graphics!? They where horse shit compared to this. Sorry but this is NINTENDO want Final Fantasy, then play on the damn PS. This is just fine for nintendo.

God I wish folks would go back and stop being negative nancy's over nothing. Yes graphics are NOTHING!
Exactly! And also we cannot forget that GameFreak is suffering the 1-game per year condition, I am way more worried for the plot quality, art direction or scenery design than for graphics. I think the most important part about a game is the gaming experience, and regarding this aspect we can't talk about it yet. I'm really tired from comments like the one from aschefield101, Pokémon NEVER had nothing to do with graphics, but PS2 quality? C'mon, at least we have to be honest with our point of view. We can be demanding a better visual quality, but without being so rude and disrespectful.

beatbox2000

Aspiring Trainer
I don't know why people are saying it looks good though?

Sword and Shield and PLA look better than this. It looks really rough and dated. It needs to improve helluva lot by November because otherwise it's kind of embarrassing that this is the best they can do. And why is there so much aliasing?

The ground and trees and grass still look godawful.

profesor_reglero

Aspiring Trainer

Sword and Shield and PLA look better than this. It looks really rough and dated. It needs to improve helluva lot by November because otherwise it's kind of embarrassing that this is the best they can do. And why is there so much aliasing?

Worst than PLA? I'm sorry but looks so much better than PLA. Regarding looking better than Sword and Shield, perhaps looks worst but remember that this is an open world game.

aschefield101

is behind you !

heh "rude" and then name calling... kids who'd have em.

What I said was fact, not liking it is irrelevant. You appear to be of the crowd that prefers to buy into getting the same minimalistic blarg, the ideal consumer for the market.

Mimikeon

Aspiring Trainer

It's actually a massive improvement over the previous games on a technical level. The only downgrade is the resolution... which, unfortunately, also has the biggest effect on visuals. You can make any game look like a PS2 game by running it at a low resolution. You'll see what I mean when emulators run it at 4k.

Mimikeon

Aspiring Trainer
So their 3D engine appeared out of nowhere...right? ;P

The IP as a whole has a stupid amount of money attached to it, freelancing a team for an engine if they must have their own is entirely plausible. There is also the option of existing engines and again, revenue from everywhere could cover that if temporarily, until their desire to use in house stuff rears its ugly head.

The point is, it looks like a PS2 game on a modern system and while the lemmings of the world may go for the minimal approach, I don't.

I expect much better things from a company pulling in these numbers. A company that's been doing it for all these years. AAA used to mean something, alas...
Ignoring the PS2 hyperbole since I already covered that, a 3DS engine takes much less time to make than one from Switch when both are from the ground up. Also, budget isn't the issue; it's time. Since you need an engine to make a game, a freelance team wouldn't save a significant amount of time. Learning a new engine would also take time, as well as porting everything over to said engine. BDSP's launch proves that.

Also, I'm gonna shut down the "biggest IP of all time" argument in a separate post, but to summarize it, that's the entire reason the games are mediocre, not the solution. The games would actually be better if the IP were small.

PartTimeTCGCollector

Aspiring Trainer
Well WaterPokemonMaster, you posted on your twitter all the starters so here is my favorite of each generations:

Gen I: Squirtle
Gen II: Chikorita
Gen III: Torchic
Gen IV: Piplup
Gen V: Snivy
Gen VI: Froakie
Gen VII: Litten
Gen VIII: Grookey
Gen IV: Fuecoco (so far)

Total Score: Water (3) Fire (3) Grass (3)

Really? A balance?

Mimikeon

Aspiring Trainer
Although I too would love to see more time put into each individual game, that's not going to happen, just give up on this, people. Investors is all that matters to them, and investors want stuff being released as fast as possible so they can make more money as fast as possible. Like many have correctly pointed out in other instances around here, pokémon makes the most money out of merch, and to have new merch they will rush as much as they can on the games to have new source material to make merch from. Unfortunately that's just the way it is now and there's never going back.
There actually is a solution: the Call of Duty approach. They find another studio to work with, and that studio works on every other generation. So, say, ILCA would work on Gen 10 while GF is working on Gen 11 at the same time. Then after releasing Gen 10, ILCA starts working on Gen 12.

Of course, GF doubling their number of teams and staff would do the same. That said, there is one other problem: Creatures makes the models. They might be spread thin.

Of course, even if they did this and worked it out you'd still get complaints about the Tail Whip animation or something else stupid.

ZestyGan

Aspiring Trainer
There actually is a solution: the Call of Duty approach. They find another studio to work with, and that studio works on every other generation. So, say, ILCA would work on Gen 10 while GF is working on Gen 11 at the same time. Then after releasing Gen 10, ILCA starts working on Gen 12.

Of course, GF doubling their number of teams and staff would do the same. That said, there is one other problem: Creatures makes the models. They might be spread thin.

Of course, even if they did this and worked it out you'd still get complaints about the Tail Whip animation or something else stupid.
I suggest another approach. In a perfect world, Gamefreak works on a new gen for a MINIMUM of three years and a max of five, while other companies such as Ilca make spin-offs like DP 2, Mystery Dungeon #45, Conquest 2, Colosseum 2, mobile games, etc, all while we get one season of the anime and then 1-3 animated series likw Twilight Wings or Origins based on the current generation. I cannot imagine a better direction for the franchises to go, personally and I really wish there was some way to get this to happen...

Mimikeon

Aspiring Trainer
I suggest another approach. In a perfect world, Gamefreak works on a new gen for a MINIMUM of three years and a max of five, while other companies such as Ilca make spin-offs like DP 2, Mystery Dungeon #45, Conquest 2, Colosseum 2, mobile games, etc, all while we get one season of the anime and then 1-3 animated series likw Twilight Wings or Origins based on the current generation. I cannot imagine a better direction for the franchises to go, personally and I really wish there was some way to get this to happen...
That's not possible. The entire issue is that delaying games isn't an option, so going "just delay them lol" doesn't fix anything. The reason they can't delay them isn't because TPC wants a game every year; it's because they want a new gen every 3 years for the sake of merchandise.

Since people really don't seem to get it, I'll make it simple. So, everyone knows that merchandise makes up the largest share of Pokemon's revenue. However, I don't think most of you get just how big that share is.

Here's are two images showing the top 10 media franchises. Now, before looking at this, I want you to take a guess on where in the top 10 Pokemon would fall if you were to remove the revenue from all of the games from that share:

1646094579738.png

1646094714964.png

So, what did you think? #8? Maybe #6? #4?

... How about #2?

1646094905727.png

(And yes, the TCG is part of merchandise in this case.)

And keep in mind that over $5 billion of the games part is from Pokemon GO alone. The idea that they'd even consider disrupting merchandise timelines for the sake of the main games, which probably only account for like 15% of their all-time revenue if not less, is nothing more than a dream. These games exist to sell merchandise. They've determined that the most profitable tactic is to drop a new generation every 3 years along with a dump of new merchandise. If you want to offer constructive, realistic criticism, you have to accept the games for what they are first. Saying that they should just delay it or anything similar to that really doesn't do anything for the conversation.

ZestyGan

Aspiring Trainer
That's not possible. The entire issue is that delaying games isn't an option, so going "just delay them lol" doesn't fix anything. The reason they can't delay them isn't because TPC wants a game every year; it's because they want a new gen every 3 years for the sake of merchandise.

Since people really don't seem to get it, I'll make it simple. So, everyone knows that merchandise makes up the largest share of Pokemon's revenue. However, I don't think most of you get just how big that share is.

Here's are two images showing the top 10 media franchises. Now, before looking at this, I want you to take a guess on where in the top 10 Pokemon would fall if you were to remove the revenue from all of the games from that share:

View attachment 16458

View attachment 16459

So, what did you think? #8? Maybe #6? #4?

... How about #2?

View attachment 16460

(And yes, the TCG is part of merchandise in this case.)

And keep in mind that over $5 billion of the games part is from Pokemon GO alone. The idea that they'd even consider disrupting merchandise timelines for the sake of the main games, which probably only account for like 15% of their all-time revenue if not less, is nothing more than a dream. These games exist to sell merchandise. They've determined that the most profitable tactic is to drop a new generation every 3 years along with a dump of new merchandise. If you want to offer constructive, realistic criticism, you have to accept the games for what they are first. Saying that they should just delay it or anything similar to that really doesn't do anything for the conversation.
I like you based on your past takes but I literally said in a perfect world, and I never even said the world delay. I was giving MY ideal image of how the franchise would run, and I...kinda said that right off the bat lol

Mimikeon

Aspiring Trainer
I like you based on your past takes but I literally said in a perfect world, and I never even said the world delay. I was giving MY ideal image of how the franchise would run, and I...kinda said that right off the bat lol
Ah... But I think in a perfect world the games simply wouldn't have a schedule lol

That said, I was mostly just using the post as a springboard for that point.

Keraunos

Aspiring Trainer
I believe those might be the crests of two different schools; the MC's Scarlet uniforms likely correlate with the orange emblem, while the uniforms in Violet correlate with the grape emblem.
Not only that, there's another scene with grapes and oranges in a bowl, pretty much confirmed. Not sure about school part though.

Last edited:

Keraunos

Aspiring Trainer
Oh look, same engine as swsh/legends... another hard pass tbh.
Did you noticed something different from few pokemon in the trailer? I mean, it's not huge, but I thought it's pretty awesome and it's much better than SWSH. You can see Seviper's scales, and the reflection on Magnemite's.

Mistwalker

Master of Martial Arts
Sprigatito will be my pick for the starters! I love cats and I have converted to grass starters since Sun and Moon (was originally all about water starters). Hope to see a more mixed up and varied pokedex than what we got in PLA and of course me being biased I want to see my boi Urshifu return