“Paldean Fates” Special Pokemon TCG Set Officially Revealed for January Featuring Shiny Pokemon!

The description mentions there being EIGHT Shiny SARs, I don't think it's breaking news to anyone that Charizard is gonna end up being one of them (and it ESPECIALLY isn't breaking news to the [insert profanity here] thieves and WhatNot bros that broke into the printing facilities recently...)
Yeah, we know about the leak. I was just confused a little because of the way the text was written but it might be that they are just considering the SIR together with the FAs like they sometimes do when they cut some cards from the set.

Six hyper rare cards of select Pokémon ex, featuring a new and unique raised foil effect.
I wonder if this means Dark and Metal energy will not be in the set since it only mentions hyper pokémon.

Wait... Mimikyu getting a shiny illustration rare even though it had no normal ir this gen means we can get shiny Luxray as an illustration rare too. Let's pray. ??

Same mistake being made with this set that was made with Shining Fates (obviously TPCi disagrees, since Shining Fates was a great seller for them, as I'm sure this set will be as well). Hidden Fates was released near the end of the SM bloc, which gave them nearly three years' worth of GXs to "shinify." Shining Fates had only a year's worth of V/VMAX to make shinies from, so they overbloated the set with "baby shinies" -- which aren't terrible, but not as cool as full art shinies.

Paldean Fates will be the same as Shining Fates. Too many baby shinies, not enough full art ex Pokemon to make shinies of.
Baby shinies are way more interesting imo. I mean they still arent terribly interesting but having new artwork way better than just a plain old boring recolor

OMGGGGGG IM LITERALLY CRYING OMG MIMIKYU FINALLY GOT AN ETB I WILL BE BUYING THE PC EXCLUSIVE, THE REGULAR, AND EVERY OTHER THING WITH MIMIKYU ON IT!!!!!

Cool set lame name
i really hope this doesn’t just become their stock name for every set they can’t think of a good name for… we already have 2 now, if we get any more “Paldea(n) ___” sets im gonna be so annoyed lol. not a huge deal obviously but it would be nice to see something a liiiittle more imaginative??…

Well, with Mimikyu most likely being a promo and Mew/Charizard being confirmed special illustration rares...

I think it is safe to say that the special illustration rares in this set are most likely based off of Hyper Rares up until 151.

Let's say then we have the following pool to pick from:

Miraidon ex [Holofoil]
Koraidon ex [Holofoil]
Meowscarada ex [Holofoil]
Skeledirge ex [Holofoil]
Quaquaval ex [Holofoil]
Chien-Pao ex [Holofoil]
Ting-Lu ex [Holofoil]
Charizard ex [Holofoil] - confirmed
Mew ex [Holofoil] - confirmed

Not sure what the 3 illustration rares are; however, they could be one of each of the Paldean starters or something else unrelated.

Well, with Mimikyu most likely being a promo and Mew/Charizard being confirmed special illustration rares...

I think it is safe to say that the special illustration rares in this set are most likely based off of Hyper Rares up until 151.

Let's say then we have the following pool to pick from:

Miraidon ex [Holofoil]
Koraidon ex [Holofoil]
Meowscarada ex [Holofoil]
Skeledirge ex [Holofoil]
Quaquaval ex [Holofoil]
Chien-Pao ex [Holofoil]
Ting-Lu ex [Holofoil]
Charizard ex [Holofoil] - confirmed
Mew ex [Holofoil] - confirmed

Not sure what the 3 illustration rares are; however, they could be one of each of the Paldean starters or something else unrelated.
I don't think we'll get shiny versions of Miraidon, Koraidon, Ting-Lu and Chien-Pao since they are shiny locked in-game. They might be the gold cards though (like they did with Zacian, Zamazenta and Eternatus).

I don't understand. Is Tera Charizard going to be in the set and be released as a promo? Are there two Shiny versions of Tera Charizard?
There are 2. The full art remains a promo in the tin, and the alt art remains in the actual set as a double gold star.

I also wanna call attention to the six raised-foil hyper rares. I'm pretty sure these might be a bit fancier than your standard gold hyper rares (like with the black gold cards in Shining Fates), so I'm not entirely sure what they're planning here with these last six cards...

I also wanna call attention to the six raised-foil hyper rares. I'm pretty sure these might be a bit fancier than your standard gold hyper rares (like with the black gold cards in Shining Fates), so I'm not entirely sure what they're planning here with these last six cards...
Maybe they'll be like the ones from Crown Zenith, SIRs but golden?

Do special set also have booster boxes or is that only for main sets? Sorry if its a dumb question. Im new to Pokémon collecting.

If not, what would be my best option when it comes to value of product per pack included?

I had a feeling that they were going to continue the "Fates" naming scheme for the Shiny Vault sets but I wish the name was something like "Treasured Fates" because that would both tie into the Japanese name and Paldea's whole Treasure Hunt concept.

(also this means that 3 out of the 6 SV sets so far have set codes starting with PA (PAL, PAR, PAF) which is fun)

Back