“Paldean Fates” New Hyper Rare Cards, What Will They Look Like?

Water Pokémon Master

I like Pokemon more than you! :p
Webmaster
Elite Member
Advanced Member
You may have missed it among all the news, but last week it was announced Paldean Fates would feature six hyper rare cards with a “new and unique raised foil effect.” What could this new foil effect entail?

Mew-ex-Hyper-Rare-143x200.jpg

Garchomp-ex-Hyper-Rare-144x200.jpg

The next set of the One Piece card game, called Awakening of a New Era, features six special cards that are embossed with what could be described as a “raised foil effect.” Trading Card Games often use each other’s production techniques, so could we see a similar effect in the Pokemon TCG? Or will we get something completely different? Coincidentally the One Piece set releases on December 8th, one week after Japan’s...

Continue reading...

Last edited:
This would be a great chance to do right by me by making Pidgeot ex one of the six. Jerky's artwork is fine, just not on a special illustration rare.

I'm all for a bit of a change in what cards are available, helps keep things fresh.
I was kind of hoping they would use different art work though to help distinguish them.
If it's just a different print style of the same artwork just feels like the redundancy of rainbow rares all over again

The redundancy is a good thing. If you want a copy of the card and don't really care about the increased scarcity and perceived value, the lower grade rarity gives you better odds of getting it / better pricing in the aftermarket. It also acts as somewhat of a check against the higher rarity card's price increasing too much in the aftermarket.

There is a reason this is a standing convention in CCGs.
They could just not have secret Rare's at all and that would save us some time

Then you get collectors and players fighting over the same cards and playbable cards costing hundreds of dollars. We NEED different rarities of cards to keep the game affordable.

If they scrubbed full arts and hyper rares, and simply doubled the number of double rares you pulled, you would have the same situation but better. Collectors want cards they like (IR+SIR), players want cards they need (double rares) with bulk filling out both. Players aren't going to buy cases of product to make a single deck, most collectors aren't going to buy cases of product to complete a set. The question then stands, who are the products aimed at?

Like seriously? Aside from Battle Academy products, most things are so bogged down with redundancy in forms of inclusions, packaging etc and every single person who has been in this hobby as either a player or collector will just say "buy singles".

I think PTCGI needs to re-evaluate some things here, because investors and hype will not be around forever. Don't get me wrong, the world will keep spinning and people will adapt but they could and should be looking to make things better.

Did people just mob WPM into submission, forcing him to change Nami for the other chick in the article cover? My god...you're a bunch of stuck-up fanatics, jesus effing christ.

The thumbnail on the site was always the girl with the red and pink hair. It's Nami on Pokebeach's tweet.

I’m sure the six will be some of the more popular and maybe playable pokémon ex so far. probably gonna see a mew, a charizard, a miraidon and koraidon as the two legendaries, maybe a valiant and a roaring moon.

The redundancy is a good thing. If you want a copy of the card and don't really care about the increased scarcity and perceived value, the lower grade rarity gives you better odds of getting it / better pricing in the aftermarket. It also acts as somewhat of a check against the higher rarity card's price increasing too much in the aftermarket.

There is a reason this is a standing convention in CCGs.
I can appreciate that aspect of it and like to see the card game having game pieces prioritized over scarce gems, but the card can have unique artwork whilst still being mechanically the same as other prints in lower rarities, and that opens up opportunity for stylized and simple versions of the same cards. Unless I'm misunderstanding your comment.

Back