“Paldea Evolved,” June’s English Set!

Water Pokémon Master

I like Pokemon more than you! :p
Webmaster
Elite Member
Advanced Member
We can now reveal June’s English set will be named Scarlet & Violet: Paldea Evolved. The set logo hasn’t been revealed yet.
This is the first time a main series region has been part of an English set name. The name probably references the fact the set will feature the Paldea Starter Evolutions as Pokemon ex.
As we reported before, the set will release in English on June 9th. Prereleases will take place from May 27th to June 4th.

1507_RR007_0908MASQUERNYAex-143x200.png

1507_RR020_0911LOUDBONEex_jpg2-143x200.png

1507_RR030_0914WANIVALex_jpg-143x200.png

Paldea Evolved should be comprised of cards from Japan’s Triplet Beat and...

Continue reading...

Last edited:
That's a strange name, to confirm is the set named just "Paldea Evolved" or "Scarlet & Violet: Paldea Evolved"? Either way we haven't had a set with a specific region mentioned in the set name since what, Holon Phantoms?

Edit: Can't tell if Scarlet and Violet prefix was added to the article after I posted or my eyes were just drawn to the bolded text

Last edited:
That's a strange name, to confirm is the set named just "Paldea Evolved" or "Scarlet & Violet: Paldea Evolved"? Either way we haven't had a set with a specific region mentioned in the set name since what, Holon Phantoms?

Edit: Can't tell if Scarlet and Violet prefix was added to the article after I posted or my eyes were just drawn to the bolded text

It'll be Scarlet & Violet: Paldea Evolved similar to how all the Sword & Shield sets were.

Like Pokémon TCG: Sword & Shield—Battle Styles or Pokémon TCG: Sword & Shield—Brilliant Stars

So full set reveal of Triple Beat this weekend i suppose then secret rares leak next week as it releases?

Yeah guys, evolving exs suck, 3 prize vmaxes and tag teams is where it's at. [/s]
The only Stage 2 ex being relevant in JAPAN is Gardevoir, since the deck has Kirlia, which is a decent draw engine. Gardevoir has a decent ability, although no strong basic to use it for

I'll just sit here and wait for Pokemon to release Rhyperior ex, Tyranitar ex, and Garganacl ex. These are the examples of Stage 2s with 4 energy attacks.

The only Stage 2 ex being relevant in JAPAN is Gardevoir, since the deck has Kirlia, which is a decent draw engine. Gardevoir has a decent ability, although no strong basic to use it for

I'm not talking about competitive viability, I'm talking about game design philosophy.

To be fair, only three stage 2 ex’s have been released so far, and all three have seen use. What kind of use is another matter. Magnezone ex has seen play in events, but it hasn’t had much in the way of results. Ampharos ex has fared better, getting one or two tech slots in many Miraidon/Flaaffy builds, because why not? It becomes the bulkiest attacker in the deck, and the stage 1 is already in there. Now, does Gardevoir ex have the best support in the format? Definitely. Do stage 2 ex’s have a lot going against them? Definitely. Will future ex’s hit the right numbers or have the right abilities to succeed? Possibly. Will the format slow down a turn or two when E block cards (most notably Shadow Rider Calyrex VMAX and Tyranitar V, the latter of which uses the Lugia Archeops engine as its new “Houndoom at home”) rotate out? Hopefully.
(P.S. I’m hoping the Kanto themed set will feature ex’s even loosely reminiscent of notable Classical era Pokémon and their third generation ex namesakes. Even Kadabra fans might balk at a two prize Alakazam Base Set reprint, though. That would have… unpleasant synergy with the bulky, accelerating, self-pinging Gardevoir ex.)

To be fair, only three stage 2 ex’s have been released so far, and all three have seen use. What kind of use is another matter. Magnezone ex has seen play in events, but it hasn’t had much in the way of results. Ampharos ex has fared better, getting one or two tech slots in many Miraidon/Flaaffy builds, because why not? It becomes the bulkiest attacker in the deck, and the stage 1 is already in there. Now, does Gardevoir ex have the best support in the format? Definitely. Do stage 2 ex’s have a lot going against them? Definitely. Will future ex’s hit the right numbers or have the right abilities to succeed? Possibly. Will the format slow down a turn or two when E block cards (most notably Shadow Rider Calyrex VMAX and Tyranitar V, the latter of which uses the Lugia Archeops engine as its new “Houndoom at home”) rotate out? Hopefully.
(P.S. I’m hoping the Kanto themed set will feature ex’s even loosely reminiscent of notable Classical era Pokémon and their third generation ex namesakes. Even Kadabra fans might balk at a two prize Alakazam Base Set reprint, though. That would have… unpleasant synergy with the bulky, accelerating, self-pinging Gardevoir ex.)

I think stage 2 exs are actually much better than some people are giving them credit for. They are seriously underestimating how akward it is to have to kill something that has as much hp as a Vmax but only gives 2 prizes. I've seen lots of games from the new format and I think the cost in deck slots and setup are worth the value they provide once on the table. No wonder Giratina Lost Box is shaping up to be the bdif in the new format, it can one shot vstars with its regular attack, and delete opposing Vmaxes or stage 2 exs with its vstar attack. But yeah, I think the new design philosophy will only see its full realization once we get the rotation where we're left with only Scarlet & Violet forward sets, I'm very much looking forward to that one, if some games are already having much more back and forth and more interesting prize races in the next format, I can only imagine how good it will be in the other one.

Jesus s&v looking like a complete pass, thought maybe the base set was typical base set trash but this is looking just as bad...my wallet thanks u pokemon company

Back