“Obsidian Flames” Prerelease Promos Revealed!

Nice to finally see some obsidian flame stuff. Idk what’s going on with Japan tbh tho, and it’s weird that we already have the prerelease promos of all things, but I’m glad

But... Togekiss is not even in scarlet and violet
?

I thought they only release cards for pokémon that are available in the current games.
Nah, we got the Castform quartet in Chilling Reign and they've not been in a game since sun and moon.

How is it not AntyMew when the DTE build plays just 4 energies? even the scyther from Crown Zenith can somwhat disrupt the DTE MEW Flow.
yes it is! thats why i don't really love another AntiMew card when spiritomb, giacomo etc are there and also boring LostZone decks are still all over top 16s everywhere...
So, the new Mew builds from Clay Burst/Snow Hazard in Japan are almost exclusively Fusion Strike Energy-based because it protects Genesect from the effect of an opponent's Spiritomb, allowing you to continue to draw cards. Similarly, Fusion Strike Energy itself would protect a Mew from the effect of a Mawile trying to discard it. Furthermore, Mew will not care very much if you discard 1 DTE as they're playing 3 copies alongside the Fusion Strike Energies and so just won't run out of attackers. Mawile does nothing into Mew.

I expected palafin to be impossibly busted in some way/shape/form, and severely dissapointed in the fact that is garbage. I mean, you can't just make a BST of 650 and a good signature move then not make it meta.

So, the new Mew builds from Clay Burst/Snow Hazard in Japan are almost exclusively Fusion Strike Energy-based because it protects Genesect from the effect of an opponent's Spiritomb, allowing you to continue to draw cards. Similarly, Fusion Strike Energy itself would protect a Mew from the effect of a Mawile trying to discard it. Furthermore, Mew will not care very much if you discard 1 DTE as they're playing 3 copies alongside the Fusion Strike Energies and so just won't run out of attackers. Mawile does nothing into Mew.
My guess is that there's some powerful new special energy in the set and that's what Mawile is for.

There has to be a way to make Palafin consistent in ZoroBox... it's too tempting not to include it. Heavy line of Switch and Escape Ropes? You're going to use Reversal Energy and Jet Energy is useless unless you run a 4-4 Palafin line and load it up with Reversal Energies beforehand then Jet Energy for the switch. Am I missing something...
If you are just gonna go the reversal energy route you are better off using the Cetitan who is bigger, hits harder, and doesn't have a wonky requirement to get the attack off.

here i was waiting for a week until the PAL prerelease for those promos to be revealed only for the OBS promos to be revealed even before PAL is released

There has to be a way to make Palafin consistent in ZoroBox... it's too tempting not to include it. Heavy line of Switch and Escape Ropes? You're going to use Reversal Energy and Jet Energy is useless unless you run a 4-4 Palafin line and load it up with Reversal Energies beforehand then Jet Energy for the switch. Am I missing something...
Forget using it in Zorobox. Just make it its own deck like Chien-Pao ex. Use Baxcaliber's Super Cold to accelerate energy to it and retreat using Skater's Park so they go back into the hand. Wash, rinse, repeat.

I'm excited to see this even if it feels weirdly early.

The Palafin art looks awesome, which is especially impressive considering I normally find Hero Form Palafin to be a bit ugly. I like how the card is designed too, probably not viable but at least seems like it has a reasonable power level.

I'm SO HAPPY Baby Pokemon are back! Please, please let there be a Pichu!! However, this Cleffa seems a little underpowered, tbh. The original Cleffa and HGSS Cleffa had a means of potentially avoiding attacks; this does not, which means it seems like a really easy free prize. (Which isn't to say the original Baby rule was a good design - I think it's a bit OP and they certainly shouldn't just bring it back or anything.) Plus, it just "draws until" instead of "shuffle draws". I doubt it will be played much, sadly. Unless there's something weird like a stadium or tool that works only on 30 HP Pokemon and makes it so they can avoid attacks sometimes? idk.

I'm a little disappointed we're getting non-evolving Babies yet again. I was hoping that since the fossils had "evolve into" text, Babies could too.

I like Togekiss' and Mawile's abilities. I doubt Togekiss will be viable due to being a Stage 2. Mawile seems like it would see play, but not be amazing.

Cleffa might be the best one in a Prereleases format, just be careful not to mill yourself, but Palafin has some really good damaging ability. Paired with something that can clean up the mesa 210 might somehow magically miss, and a handful of jet energy/pivoting options and you got a recipe of doing a lot of damage. Also Palafin is just a goofy guy all around.

Back