“ex Battle Decks” Featuring Chien-Pao ex and Tinkaton ex in July!

Water Pokémon Master

I like Pokemon more than you! :p
Webmaster
Elite Member
Advanced Member
We’ve learned new “ex Battle Decks” featuring Tinkaton ex or Chien-Pao ex will release on July 7th! Each will cost $9.99.
This means the cards may be cut from our Paldea Evolved set and turned into promos. This was the case for Lucario ex and Ampharos ex in Scarlet & Violet because of their ex Battle Decks. (Their pre-Evolutions remained in the set.)
Chien-Pao shouldn’t be cut entirely from the set since it’s on the booster pack artwork. TPCi may just cut the regular prints of Chien-Pao ex and Tinkaton ex, leaving their Special Illustration Rares in the set. It wouldn’t be the first time. It’s also possible these decks will feature alternate art promos that haven’t been released in Japan yet. We’ll find out soon!

Pokemon_TCG_Scarlet_Violet—Paldea_Evolved_Booster_Wrap_Chien-Pao-109x200.png

Continue reading...

Last edited:
I think Pokemon agrees that Tinkaton ex is gonna be a deck. Time will show how good.

My guess is that Chien-Pao ex will either be a promo print like the ones Miraidon ex/Koraidon ex are getting for their eventual tins or it’ll just be reprint, TPCi’s been smart about predicting the meta lately and Chien-Pao (when you factor in Absolute Zero Baxcalibur) may have a place in it.

Tinkaton ex will probably get pulled from the set for this product. It’s not a particularly good ex when you factor in cards like Judge and Iono cutting down hand size essentially limiting its damage output at roughly 120-140 HP per turn.

My guess is that Chien-Pao ex will either be a promo print like the ones Miraidon ex/Koraidon ex are getting for their eventual tins or it’ll just be reprint, TPCi’s been smart about predicting the meta lately and Chien-Pao (when you factor in Absolute Zero Baxcalibur) may have a place in it.

Tinkaton ex will probably get pulled from the set for this product. It’s not a particularly good ex when you factor in cards like Judge and Iono cutting down hand size essentially limiting its damage output at roughly 120-140 HP per tturn.

I'm sure you'd be playing it with Bibarel, Greninja, and other draw supporters like Cynthia's Ambition to draw up to 8/9 cards, which is around 240/270 damage. I'm not optimistic but there are work arounds to Iono.

If Baxcalibur is in set, but not Chien-Pao-ex, could Gyarados-ex be an alt partner until chien-pao-ex is eventually released? I heard of blastoise vmax being gyarados-ex's partner in crime next to origin forme palkia vstar...

Im so glad Chien-Pao prob won't be an expensive card and will be playable by many. I'm so excited to have a deck similar to Blastoise/Keldeo EX from years ago.

Wow so you buy the Palkia VStar LBD, some of these and get yourself a Baxcaliber line (unless that's in this deck too) and you've all ready to start playing

Tinkaton ex will probably get pulled from the set for this product. It’s not a particularly good ex when you factor in cards like Judge and Iono cutting down hand size essentially limiting its damage output at roughly 120-140 HP per turn.
Everyone forgets milotic exists and didn't rotate

Crap, I just pre-ordered 2 ETBs of Paldea Evolved and these are my 2 favourite pokemon that I was expecting in the set.

Crap, I just pre-ordered 2 ETBs of Paldea Evolved and these are my 2 favourite pokemon that I was expecting in the set.
I'm not sure your odds of pulling these two specific cards would have been very high. You could buy them on TCGPLAYER for $5 at most, and likely for far less than that. You could buy a few other cards, too. Search for these cards on TCGPLAYER, look for verified sellers with these cards that offer free shipping on orders of $5 or more, and add a few other singles from that seller until you hit free shipping. You might even be able to find a seller offering both if you throw these two cards into your cart and hit the cart optimizer button. (They are both theme deck promos, after all.) Just be sure to select "verified seller" instead of "direct seller" since you'll have to pay for shipping from direct sellers unless you buy $50 worth of cards.
As for whether or not these cards will be in the set, remember that the first two V Battle Decks (Blastoise V and Venusaur V) featured exclusive Promos (pulled from Japanese VMAX decks, by the way), and every other V Battle Deck Promo after that was a reprint up until the last set, which was comprised of V's from two other Japanese VMAX decks (Deoxys V and Zeraora V). And there were four sets of V Battle Decks sandwiched in between. These could very well be reprints sourced from Japan's holiday set. Water Pokémon Master pointed this possibility out in his article, though it isn't very clear in the FaceBook caption (which is meant to be a blurb anyways).

Is chien pao expected to be meta? If so, this is a solid move to make the cards accessible
It will probably be a "Moderately Competitive Potential" deck (by the JustinBasil scale) or a "tier 2 deck" (by the ZapdosTCG scale). Yaginku points out that it's primary flaw is it's frailty. Although it gains a tool card that can increase it's bulk, and Lost Blower isn't in very many decks, running a tool card to compensate for bulk is not foolproof. Baxcalibur also takes time to set up, though Palkia VSTAR could get you attacking quickly by Turn 2, making your starts more consistent.

I'm not sure your odds of pulling these two specific cards would have been very high.
I just meant that as a collector, I organize by set and I will be less hype for Paldea Evolved if these mons aren't in the set. For the past few years, I have been completing basically half the sets (except secret rares), by buying 20-40 packs then TCGPlayer for what's missing (for example in the past year I have been completing astral radiance, silver tempest and POGO but passed on brilliant stars, lost origin and crown zenith). I like Tinkaton and Chien-Pao and will buy their cards off of TCGPlayer if necessary whether they are in the set or not, but being included in Paldea Evolved does affect whether I want to collect this set or wait to see about the next set.

I only play the TCG online, so releasing meta cards in decks like this has not made as much of a cost difference for me as it does for people buying the physical cards, but from a playing perspective I do think it is awesome when they make meta cards easier to acquire! (I do doubt Tinkaton ex's meta viability, I wish they had made it more competitive!)

Back