Water Pokémon Master

I like Pokemon more than you! :p
Webmaster
Elite Member
Advanced Member
Pokemon has filed another trademark for the Pokemon TCG: Lost Abyss (ロストアビス). It’s under the same terms as trademarks previously used for set names.

Lost-Abyss-1-200x88.jpg

We usually discover trademarks five to six months before they go into use, so this could be Japan’s April or May set.
Could the name be hinting at the return of the Lost Zone from 2009’s Platinum set? The Lost Zone is an “out of play” discard pile. Cards put in the Lost Zone can’t be retrieved once they’re banished there. The mechanic was reintroduced in 2018’s Ultra Prism, but went back into retirement a few sets later. It’s heavily associated with Giratina.

giratina-lv.x-platinum-pl-124-145x200.webp

en_US-HGSS4-094-gengar-143x200.webp

Continue reading...

Last edited:

JakeTheGearHeart

Aspiring Trainer
"The mechanic was reintroduced in 2018’s Forbidden Light and Lost Thunder sets"

I believe the Lost Zone was reintroduced with Ultra Prism in early 2018 with Prism Stars and then 2019's Lost Thunder reintroduced it with normal cards.

beatbox2000

Aspiring Trainer
Does Japan have a set every month?

According to the article, there'll be sets in Jan, Feb, two in March, now April.

What will the card count be in English? 300 cards without secret rares? lol

LightYearLiam

Yes! Lost Zone is (presumably) coming back? Excellent! Personally, I wish it was treated as a permanent mechanic rather than disappearing and reappearing like this, but I'll take what I can get.

ShinxieDim

bbbbbbbbbbbbbb
If there's one thing that I think most Pokémon TCG players can agree on, it's that the Lost Zone is a great mechanic.

It has to be used creatively, though, like in Explosive Impact/Lost Thunder. Emerging Powers or Steam Siege wouldn't automatically become masterpiece expansions if Lost Zone interactions were just slapped on a few cards.

AmbientDinosaur

Aspiring Trainer
I guess there will be a Giratina VSTAR that can send two cards to the Shadow Realm Lost Zone with its VSTAR power.