Most Expensive Pokemon Cards of 2023!

Water Pokémon Master

I like Pokemon more than you! :p
Webmaster
Elite Member
Advanced Member
Our friends at TCGplayer have published a list of the most expensive cards of 2023!

2023-Most-Expensive-Cards-300x300.jpg

This is according to transactions on their marketplace, so it is does not account for listings from other online sources such as eBay. However, it still gives us a decent indication of what was popular last year!
It’s no surprise “Pikachu with Grey Felt Hat” topped the list. The card was famously scalped to death at the Van Gogh museum in Amsterdam, forcing the museum to implement limitations before ultimately...

Continue reading...

Last edited:
Honestly these kinds of lists leave a bad taste in my mouth. These cards might be overhyped, but are they actually sought after by actual collectors?
A more interesting statistic would be to look at cards that moved the most $$$ through transactions. That would actually give a good look at the demand.

Honestly these kinds of lists leave a bad taste in my mouth. These cards might be overhyped, but are they actually sought after by actual collectors?
A more interesting statistic would be to look at cards that moved the most $$$ through transactions. That would actually give a good look at the demand.
Pikachu with grey felt hat is definitely sought sfter by collectors, and that’s a good idea for the most wanted card statistics.

Exactly, the demand is more important. I have 2 of the PP3 Zards but there's no demand whatsoever for it and I can't shift it

Meh, it's a list with the values of the highest valued cards on it. I'm happy and fortunate to own the Van Gogh Pikachu. It's a bit surprising that 4 of the top 10 cards are some sort of promo or harder than usual way of obtaining method.

Of course there are Charizards on this list though ?

Just wanted to mention, the English part of Canada doesn't receive EB Games stamped promos anymore - our EB Games were officially rebranded to GameStop in 2019, and so were our promos! Quebec might still have EB Games, I'm not sure (although their promo cards are in French).

If I had to hazard a guess, the EB Games Umbreon comes from Australia. It doesn't have the maple leaf beside the EB Games logo like the rest of Canada's EB Games stamped cards.

Last edited:
Damn so the Charizard from the $400 fancy black box of cards and crap is only worth $109 on its own? I'd hate to see the price for Blastoise and Venusaur. But then again who the hell paid that much money to sell the cards off separately like that?

Just wanted to mention, the English part of Canada doesn't receive EB Games stamped promos anymore - our EB Games were officially rebranded to GameStop in 2019, and so were our promos! Quebec might still have EB Games, I'm not sure (although their promo cards are in French).

If I had to hazard a guess, the EB Games Umbreon comes from Australia. It doesn't have the maple leaf beside the EB Games logo like the rest of Canada's EB Games stamped cards.

Yup, EB Games Umbreon were distributed in Australia and New Zealand (where I'm from).

Out of curiousity, what were the last EB Games stamped promos you got in Canada? I know you guys got a Duraludon which has the EB Games logo with the maple leaf (we never got Duraludon at all). But as far as I know there aren't any others with the maple leaf?

EDIT: Did some eBay searching and found that Flapple and Sandaconda exist with the Candian EB Games logo. So that's all the 2021 promos.

Last edited:
I visited Van Gogh museum last week and had a fun Pokemon themed treasure hunt. The pikachu card would be awarded normally but as we all now the reward is now a pikachu postcard. I honestly believe producing the postcard would cost the same as the pokemon card but here we are.

What’s worse was, during the initial distribution of the card, so many people on discord were defending scalping. Honestly disgusting. “Buying from scalpers is the actual issue” -> “vote with your wallet” -> if you have no money, you don’t get a say. That’s why we actually don’t vote with our wallets; that’d be a disaster.

And I don’t think this line of thinking is far-fetched: “breathing clean air costs what now?” “Vote with your wallet and not breathe.” Pokemon cards are admittedly not essential (even remotely similar) as air but the thought still holds.

I’m very happy that I’m not a pokemon tcg loving kid, that’d be quite disappointing. At least adults can moderate their feelings. I’m not sure if I’ll get my kid into tcg if I ever have one. The joy of opening a nice card is far overshadowed by these “free market” aspects.

I visited Van Gogh museum last week and had a fun Pokemon themed treasure hunt. The pikachu card would be awarded normally but as we all now the reward is now a pikachu postcard. I honestly believe producing the postcard would cost the same as the pokemon card but here we are.

What’s worse was, during the initial distribution of the card, so many people on discord were defending scalping. Honestly disgusting. “Buying from scalpers is the actual issue” -> “vote with your wallet” -> if you have no money, you don’t get a say. That’s why we actually don’t vote with our wallets; that’d be a disaster.

And I don’t think this line of thinking is far-fetched: “breathing clean air costs what now?” “Vote with your wallet and not breathe.” Pokemon cards are admittedly not essential (even remotely similar) as air but the thought still holds.

I’m very happy that I’m not a pokemon tcg loving kid, that’d be quite disappointing. At least adults can moderate their feelings. I’m not sure if I’ll get my kid into tcg if I ever have one. The joy of opening a nice card is far overshadowed by these “free market” aspects.
If you choose to have kids, teach them the consequences of being too materialistic. It is ok to have just a little, however, when it comes to both: wanting more AND become too attached to it becomes a problem. Both can be detrimental and may encourages selfish behaviors. Understand that they are just cards and your life doesn't depend on them.

Eh, I'm not too bothered by this list but I will say something about the No. 1 spot.

I managed to score a Van Gogh Pikachu promo via Pokémon Center's disastrous launch and that basically showed how TPCi prefers to handle this kind of problem in all of it's ugliness: make empty promises and sweep the nastiness of the situation under the rug.
Damn so the Charizard from the $400 fancy black box of cards and crap is only worth $109 on its own? I'd hate to see the price for Blastoise and Venusaur. But then again who the hell paid that much money to sell the cards off separately like that?
Blastoise's TCGPlayer market price is currently listed at around $87 whilst Venusaur's is around $56. The Pokemon Trading Card Game Classic is one of those weird products were buying singles and buying the product itself are both viable options depending on what you're looking for.
To be fair this does work in the TCG to some extent, just compare the current price for a Secret Illustration Rare Iono to the price one commanded at release date (or if you want to be completely insane, during prereleases).

But this only works for cards found in main sets and to a lesser extent special sets since they're usually kept in production for a while (and if what TPCi said in the past is true, will continue to be printed as long as there's demand for 'em and they're not rotated out), this rule doesn't work for promos since they're usually only given away during a certain window of time and given a limited print run that's long enough to fit the predicted demand.

Prize Pack Series 3 Radiant Greninja is sitting at about $65-70. So, I really don't know why it wasn't included above Magikarp, if not the Squirtle as well.

Prize Pack Series 3 Radiant Greninja is sitting at about $65-70. So, I really don't know why it wasn't included above Magikarp, if not the Squirtle as well.
I think part of it is TCGPlayer factoring in availability, I know Radiant Greninja is available in two sealed products (the Origin Forme Palkia VSTAR League Battle Deck and the Quaquaval ex Deluxe Battle Deck) and Astral Radiance packs while the version of Radiant Charizard reprinted in the Prize Packs is only available in Crown Zenith. I wouldn’t be surprised if TCGPlayer also factors in popularity and sale frequency.

I’d say the felt hat pikachu is. The Prize pack Zard though I don’t see the hype

I agree. The TCGPlayer article can give people a false perspective on which cards are best to have. While a prize pack Radiant Zard may be technically worth more than another card, like @magikarp ex was saying, it may be relatively impossible to sell at that “market price.” @SilverShady was just saying that they would be willing to buy one—just not for that price. So Prize Pack Radiant Zard may not actually be worth as much as they say.

Back