Discussion Neglected Pokémon in the TCG

jessalakasam

Floette is love Floette is life
You should update it for SHL and CRI, we already have the setlist, at least, the ones from Japan, and I'm almost 100% sure none of them will be cut

Purrloin

You should update it for SHL and CRI, we already have the setlist, at least, the ones from Japan, and I'm almost 100% sure none of them will be cut
I usually update as sets become available. It functions more as a "if you go to the store right now, you can get this Pokemon in this set" list, less of a upcoming prints list.

jessalakasam

I usually update as sets become available. It functions more as a "if you go to the store right now, you can get this Pokemon in this set" list, less of a upcoming prints list.
fair enough I guess, you'll have to add SHL tomorrow though, as the ETB from Pokemoncenter.com will ship tomorrow

Purrloin

fair enough I guess, you'll have to add SHL tomorrow though, as the ETB from Pokemoncenter.com will ship tomorrow
I'm aware. I'll be waiting for the official release on October 6, since the ETB is releasing only through the one store and as such isn't a full release that anybody could get anywhere.

In the past I've always ignored "pre-release releases" for this reason.

HA559

Aspiring Trainer
One pokemon I don't expect to see in Sun and moon TCG era is Cresselia, because Lunalaa has to be the moon pokemon now.

Purrloin

Shining Legends has officially released! This subset has brought back a few old faces. My spreadsheet has been updated, as well as the opening post to this thread.

Here's the breakdown:

In Shining Legends...
Pokemon were last seen in SM sets.
42 Pokemon were last seen in XY sets.
3 Pokemon were last seen in BW sets.
1 Pokemon was last seen in a PLAT set.

The oldest returning Pokemon was Arceus, who, despite having a recent promo released this past January, has gone missing from an actual set release since November 2009! That's nearly eight years ago!

Other returning Pokemon include Bulbasaur and Ivysaur (about time!), last seen in 2012's BW Dark Explorers.

Additionally we got Carnivine and Keldeo, last seen in BW Legendary Treasures. (The latter has had more recent promos, however.)

I've adjusted how I count the opening post in this thread, to have more accurate numbers (essentially, being more consistent with whether a recent promo nullifies "neglected" status.)

As of now, 39 Pokemon remain in BW sets, 10 Pokemon in HGSS sets, 18 Pokemon in PLAT sets, 9 Pokemon in D&P sets... and then there's Kadabra.

Purrloin

Finally got around to updating the list(s) for Crimson Invasion! I hate how work has gotten in the way of my Pokemon...

Here's the breakdown:

In Crimson Invasion...
Pokemon were last seen in SM sets.
65 Pokemon were last seen in XY sets.
1 Pokemon was last seen in a BW set.
1 Pokemon was last seen in a PLAT set.
6 Pokemon haven't had cards before.

The six new Pokemon are: Alolan Exeggutor, Alolan Marowak, Nihilego, Buzzwole, Guzzlord, Kartana, Type:Null, and Silvally! Welcome!

We also saw Houndour return from Plasma Blast after five years!

But the real star is Chimecho, who was last seen EIGHT years ago in Supreme Victors! Holy guacamole! (It's a shame that its baby form, Chingling, remains missing, though.)

As of now, 38 Pokemon remain in BW sets, 10 Pokemon in HGSS sets, 17 Pokemon in PLAT sets, 9 Pokemon in D&P sets... and then there's Kadabra.

In other news, I've considered abandoning my spreadsheet (ironic I know!) in exchange to simply upkeeping the list at the beginning of this thread. Reason being, they contain the same general information for the most part, and you don't have to go to an external site to read the list here! Feel free to give any input before I make my decision.

Last edited:

Purrloin

Holy Vanillish! Mow Rotom was just announced for SM5! We haven't seen the Rotom forms since 2009's Rising Rivals, and that was the only time we ever saw them!

Let's hope the rest show up too! This would be a glorious return of a long neglected line.

jessalakasam

Holy Vanillish! Mow Rotom was just announced for SM5! We haven't seen the Rotom forms since 2009's Rising Rivals, and that was the only time we ever saw them!

Let's hope the rest show up too! This would be a glorious return of a long neglected line.
Now can we get some more babies (Mantyke and Bonsly have only been in one set)

Mr_Karosu

Aspiring Trainer
Celesteela, Pheromosa, and
Xurkitree all got Promo cards around the same time as Crimson Invasion came out.

Gruffling

Aspiring Trainer
@Purrloin counts if they weren't in a SET, promos aren't a set

Core set I assume since "(insert generation) Black Star Promos" are sets TECHNICALLY or I guess a subset maybe? Like would you count Dragon Vault, Double Crisis etc the sets that don't have their linked games in the title.

Purrloin

@Purrloin counts if they weren't in a SET, promos aren't a set
Yeah, I used to count promos but I feel like they aren't exactly the same as a set release. A set release feels more "official" to me somehow, whereas a promo release is just "here's a crappy filler card".

I do plan to update my list(s) with promo releases soon once I stop getting called into 12 hour shifts, but it will be a separate tracking from the set releases.

Purrloin

Cranidos and Rampardos were revealed! They haven't been seen since 2009, in Platinum and Rising Rivals, respectively.

Welcome back!

ProcInc

Aspiring Trainer
This puts to bed a concern I expressed months back that we won't see thise specific Pokèmon for a while due to the lack of fossils in Gen VII.

It seems Cranid/Rampardos was saved by the curious focus on Gen IV in SM5.

My only wish is that this is what finally brings back babies seeing as there are soo many from Gen IV (Budew, Bonsly, Mantyke, Mime jr, Munchlax, Happiny and Chingling)

However, when XY5-8 focussed on Gen III, there was no Wynaut or Azurill so I won't het high expectations.

On a side note. I don't believe the Gen IV focus is heralding a DP remake. I'm thinking they are simply repeating the pattern of XY in that after set 4, all new Pokèmon have at least one print so focus can be shifted. XY did Gen III so SM naturally should be Gen IV.

I say this despite the fact that previous cases like this were specifically due to HGSS and ORAS remakes.

Purrloin

Two more Rotom formes revealed! Like the previous revealed, Fan and Heat haven't been seen since 2009.

Here's to hoping Wash and Frost don't get neglected!

Purrloin

Yeah, I'm really happy to see Phione return. My second favorite Pokemon!

It's Phione's first card since 2013. Prior to that, it was in 2008's Majestic Dawn... and that's it! Definitely a highly neglected Pokemon overall.