News Japan's SM3 Sets for the 20th Movie Feature Ho-Oh and Necrozma!

So, we have pokemon that have 300 HP right? Wait, we don't? Why do we have an attack that does 300 damage again? What's that? No reason? Right!

So let's look at realistic deck options and sorry for the book in advance:

Charizard GX - Requires a whopping 5 energy attachments, discards 3 *FIRE* energy, requires bare minimum a 3-2-3 line + 4 Rare Candies OR Ho-Oh GX's GX attack to get it onto your bench along with 2 buddies which would require two attachments (DCE + Fire) on Ho-Oh GX to pull off T1. The attachments are doable on Ho-Oh for set up. Getting fire energy onto Charizard GX this way after set up is not. You can get some burning energy onto this beast, but realistically, you are looking at getting two on it maximum by the time you would use it's primary beat stick attack. Long story short, that's bare minimum 12 cards and a slew of combinations to get a powered up Charizard up and running. If you choose to go the Ho-Oh route, you have to wait until T2 to use Kiawe which is very risky. If you choose to go the Rare Candy route and use Kiawe T1, you just attached 4 energy to what is likely to be a 60-70 HP Charmander...call me crazy, but that is crazy. Thanks but no thanks.

M Charizard Flashfire/Evolutions style - Still requires a whopping 5 energy attachments, but damages itself for 50 with its attack instead. Requires at least a 3-3 line + 3-4 spirit links to work effectively. Can take advantage of Mega Turbo to hit the energy requirements along with Kiawe so you could potentially get it up and running as early as T2 without having to resort to something like Charizard's Stoke attack to make it work. You could also use a Ho-Oh GX engine to get this set up, but honestly I think it would be very clunky. Overall, I think this would be a good option, but 50 damage to itself puts it at 170 damage needed to OHKO it. That's a TON of effort to put in just to get return 1 shotted the very next turn. Pass.

M Charizard Generations style - The less discussed Charizard. Has Heat Typhoon which does 100+ damage + flip a coin for each fire energy attached and do an additional 50 for each heads. Still requires the same 3-3 line + 3-4 spirit links to get set up. Realistically, you need at least 6 fire energy attachments on it to consistently OHKO everything in the game, but it also benefits from Victini and can get charged up T1 with Kiawe and be ready to go T2 for all 6 energy required. That's a massive energy investment, but it also gives you a realistic shot at ending games before your opponent has a chance to do anything AND doesn't require a lot of items to set up. I happen to really like this one, but the flippy nature gives me pause.

M Salamence - You know, that Mega that has potential but doesn't actually work. Kiawe might actually change the dynamic for this card. It is bulky at 230 HP, is Fairy weak which is far better than being Water weak right now, and the attack gives you a base 100 damage with the option of doing more for the cost of discarding a fire energy for each additional 40 damage you want to inflict. Great idea...but I have to discard 3 energy to hit 220 and a whopping 4 energy to hit 250. M Salamence does benefit from DDE and you *can* discard 1 DDE to hit 2 of those energy discards, but ultimately you are still likely discarding at least 3 energy every single turn in an effort to KO most of the S1 GX meta and even several of the Basic GX meta. I don't think this works.

M Rayquaza Dragon Ascent style - I think this is our clear winner for the likely 1 month it will be a legal combination in standard. It requires a 3-3 line + 3-4 Spirit links to use. It has a fat 5 energy attachment requirement including one that has to be lightning. It's attack does 300 damage and you discard *TWO* energy as the cost of doing business. Now, call me crazy, but if I have a choice between running something that is Water weak vs Fairy weak and requires one fewer energy discard of ANY type (not limited to fire), still does the 300 damage I want AND can benefit from both DDE and Mega Turbo where Charizard GX cannot while still benefiting from Kiawe by slapping that energy on a much safer 170 HP Rayquaza EX, why wouldn't this be the way I would go? Beyond the desire to run a Charizard, I don't think there is any question that this is the most viable deck.

To be clear, I am not advocating any of these decks. I am not sure that any of them are viable. That said, the goal is to give a realistic comparison between Charizard GX and contemporaries that could take advantage of a similar engine with a similar beat stick. I think Charizard GX is probably my 4th choice on this list (I would take it over the M Charizard Furious Fists / Evolutions list). The other decks are going to be as (or more) consistent while not leaving the energy exposed on a tiny Basic T1. The only reason I think it is better than the Evolutions style list is because it doesn't damage itself putting into fairly easy OHKO range for a return shot leaving you scrambling to replace it. Overall, I think this is going to be a lot like Incineroar was. Fun card. Completely unplayable in any kind of competitive setting.

The next Charizard card:

Stage 2 Charizard HP160[R]
Evolves from Charmeleon

[C][C][C] Wing Attack 50

[R][R][R][R][R][R][R][R][R] BIG NUMBERZ 1000
Discard all Energy attached to this Pokemon.

Weakness: [W]x2 Resistance: Retreat: [C][C][C]

I feel like running an expanded deck with no Charmeleon or Charmander but 3 Charizard GX and you battle compressor them to the discard pile, but then use Ho-Oh-GX's GX move to put each of them onto your bench. It would be fun.

So, we have pokemon that have 300 HP right? Wait, we don't? Why do we have an attack that does 300 damage again? What's that? No reason? Right!

So let's look at realistic deck options and sorry for the book in advance:

Charizard GX - Requires a whopping 5 energy attachments, discards 3 *FIRE* energy, requires bare minimum a 3-2-3 line + 4 Rare Candies OR Ho-Oh GX's GX attack to get it onto your bench along with 2 buddies which would require two attachments (DCE + Fire) on Ho-Oh GX to pull off T1. The attachments are doable on Ho-Oh for set up. Getting fire energy onto Charizard GX this way after set up is not. You can get some burning energy onto this beast, but realistically, you are looking at getting two on it maximum by the time you would use it's primary beat stick attack. Long story short, that's bare minimum 12 cards and a slew of combinations to get a powered up Charizard up and running. If you choose to go the Ho-Oh route, you have to wait until T2 to use Kiawe which is very risky. If you choose to go the Rare Candy route and use Kiawe T1, you just attached 4 energy to what is likely to be a 60-70 HP Charmander...call me crazy, but that is crazy. Thanks but no thanks.

M Charizard Flashfire/Evolutions style - Still requires a whopping 5 energy attachments, but damages itself for 50 with its attack instead. Requires at least a 3-3 line + 3-4 spirit links to work effectively. Can take advantage of Mega Turbo to hit the energy requirements along with Kiawe so you could potentially get it up and running as early as T2 without having to resort to something like Charizard's Stoke attack to make it work. You could also use a Ho-Oh GX engine to get this set up, but honestly I think it would be very clunky. Overall, I think this would be a good option, but 50 damage to itself puts it at 170 damage needed to OHKO it. That's a TON of effort to put in just to get return 1 shotted the very next turn. Pass.

M Charizard Generations style - The less discussed Charizard. Has Heat Typhoon which does 100+ damage + flip a coin for each fire energy attached and do an additional 50 for each heads. Still requires the same 3-3 line + 3-4 spirit links to get set up. Realistically, you need at least 6 fire energy attachments on it to consistently OHKO everything in the game, but it also benefits from Victini and can get charged up T1 with Kiawe and be ready to go T2 for all 6 energy required. That's a massive energy investment, but it also gives you a realistic shot at ending games before your opponent has a chance to do anything AND doesn't require a lot of items to set up. I happen to really like this one, but the flippy nature gives me pause.

M Salamence - You know, that Mega that has potential but doesn't actually work. Kiawe might actually change the dynamic for this card. It is bulky at 230 HP, is Fairy weak which is far better than being Water weak right now, and the attack gives you a base 100 damage with the option of doing more for the cost of discarding a fire energy for each additional 40 damage you want to inflict. Great idea...but I have to discard 3 energy to hit 220 and a whopping 4 energy to hit 250. M Salamence does benefit from DDE and you *can* discard 1 DDE to hit 2 of those energy discards, but ultimately you are still likely discarding at least 3 energy every single turn in an effort to KO most of the S1 GX meta and even several of the Basic GX meta. I don't think this works.

M Rayquaza Dragon Ascent style - I think this is our clear winner for the likely 1 month it will be a legal combination in standard. It requires a 3-3 line + 3-4 Spirit links to use. It has a fat 5 energy attachment requirement including one that has to be lightning. It's attack does 300 damage and you discard *TWO* energy as the cost of doing business. Now, call me crazy, but if I have a choice between running something that is Water weak vs Fairy weak and requires one fewer energy discard of ANY type (not limited to fire), still does the 300 damage I want AND can benefit from both DDE and Mega Turbo where Charizard GX cannot while still benefiting from Kiawe by slapping that energy on a much safer 170 HP Rayquaza EX, why wouldn't this be the way I would go? Beyond the desire to run a Charizard, I don't think there is any question that this is the most viable deck.

To be clear, I am not advocating any of these decks. I am not sure that any of them are viable. That said, the goal is to give a realistic comparison between Charizard GX and contemporaries that could take advantage of a similar engine with a similar beat stick. I think Charizard GX is probably my 4th choice on this list (I would take it over the M Charizard Furious Fists / Evolutions list). The other decks are going to be as (or more) consistent while not leaving the energy exposed on a tiny Basic T1. The only reason I think it is better than the Evolutions style list is because it doesn't damage itself putting into fairly easy OHKO range for a return shot leaving you scrambling to replace it. Overall, I think this is going to be a lot like Incineroar was. Fun card. Completely unplayable in any kind of competitive setting.

I agree with you, for the most part.
However, there are a few things to consider...
I hope you don't mind me writing a fan-fic of your book!

The water vs. fairy weakness argument:
With SylveonGX, M Gardevoir, and GardevoirGX... I think the fairy weakness is a lot more relevant.
Especially since we have Altar of Sunne.

M Rayquaza will be overkilling fairly frequently, and it doesn't give you the option to do less.
This, arguably, makes it a less consistent attacker.
Though, combined with it's ancient trait and parallel city, you can tank a fair amount of damage.

All of these decks are weak to SylveonGX, because:
CharizardGX - Stage2, weak to PleaGX, also weak to energy removal, due to high attack costs; unable to attack with 1 attachment.
Megas - PleaGX + Field Blower is very problematic. This is one thing that's been discouraging me from playing Megas.
Similar effect is achieved with EspeonEX; which I feel will become a decently popular tech in some decks (due to most GX being evolutions).

Though... I know we're not actually considering these to be top tier decks; just thought I'd mention that~

I'd rank them in this order:
1. M Charizard (GEN) // Fliptini
This deck can technically run DCE.
It helps you start attacking faster, and allows you to Shell Trap with TurtonatorGX.
Turtonator will also be able to recover your energy late game.
I also prefer this one the most, as setting up the Charizard(s) will become less risky when Lysandre rotates...
and this deck will still keep all of it's cards~​

2. M Salamence // SalamenceEX
The option to discard energy is a big deal, and SalamenceEX is a decently good card in it's own right.
There's not a lot of synergy here, so the strategy is very linear.
It's just... a pretty solid attacker, and will be able to 2HKO reliably, while only dropping a few energy~​

3. M Rayquaza
This, to me, is more of a "win-more" strategy, though it is a fun one~
I've always liked this M Ray, but it's too limited with it's attacking.
I think Shrine of Memories could help a lot here.​

Little kids like big numbers. That's all I have to say about Charizard. It makes since when you want to appeal to a small child who begs his mom to buy him packs daily at Walmart, and Charizard is up there with Pikachu in terms of recognizable Pokemon.

"Whoa 300 Damage? What do you mean I need to have energy to attack?"

I don't want to deal with 240 Hp Sylveons. Please no.

It's like they keep trying to challenge us to one-shot everything. They increase HP to avoid one-shots and make games last. Then someone figures out a way, or they release a Pokemon too powerful, and then the HP just gets higher...
It's an endless cycle. In ten years we'll have 940 Hp Caterpie and Charizard will be dealing 1270 damage

I want the Toxicroak for its art.

Someone tell me when Rotom Dex gets a good card lol.

Last edited by a moderator:
Was I the only one glad that Butterfree left Ash? I thought maybe he'd end up getting caught by another trainer that wouldn't lose every trainer battle it participated in

I feel like the cards in this set are Charizard centric just like Flashfire, and just like Flashfire, never make it to the top tier of decks with cards in it. Sure in FF, there was a Charizard/Pyroar meta going on for a while butg it died down very quickly. Still going to hoard all the Charizards I can get my hands on though, just like I did with Flashfire too

Blacksmith eventually became an important card. It wasn't a long reign, but Entei (XY: Ancient Origins 15/98) actually was the go-to deck for a time. During that time, Charizard-EX (XY: Flashfire 12/106; XY: Black Star Promos XY121; XY: Evolutions 12/108) joined in on the fun*. Plus XY: Flashfire was the set that gave us Lysandre so...

It's an endless cycle. In ten years we'll have 940 Hp Caterpie and Charizard will be dealing 1270 damage

Though HP inflation along with attack inflation at least still allows more wiggle room in designing an attack. When designing attacks, beneficial effects usually mean reduced damage output. While it won't matter if everything is being OHKO'd, as long as some stuff needs two hits, there is a chance of hitting a spot where there is enough "extra" damage (according to the going rate at the time) for 2HKOs, that beneficial attack effects matter.

Let me be clear; that happens already, but imagine it on a larger scale, and with a lot more room for creativity. Right now, little bonus effects often cost too much to matter; why Poison if you can just to 10 more damage? (As an example) Even multi-counter-poison is usually not as good as just doing the damage upfront.

*Note: Originally I forgot to finish this sentence. XP

Last edited:
I agree with you, for the most part.
However, there are a few things to consider...
I hope you don't mind me writing a fan-fic of your book!

The water vs. fairy weakness argument:
With SylveonGX, M Gardevoir, and GardevoirGX... I think the fairy weakness is a lot more relevant.
Especially since we have Altar of Sunne.

M Rayquaza will be overkilling fairly frequently, and it doesn't give you the option to do less.
This, arguably, makes it a less consistent attacker.
Though, combined with it's ancient trait and parallel city, you can tank a fair amount of damage.

All of these decks are weak to SylveonGX, because:
CharizardGX - Stage2, weak to PleaGX, also weak to energy removal, due to high attack costs; unable to attack with 1 attachment.
Megas - PleaGX + Field Blower is very problematic. This is one thing that's been discouraging me from playing Megas.
Similar effect is achieved with EspeonEX; which I feel will become a decently popular tech in some decks (due to most GX being evolutions).

Though... I know we're not actually considering these to be top tier decks; just thought I'd mention that~

I'd rank them in this order:
1. M Charizard (GEN) // Fliptini
This deck can technically run DCE.
It helps you start attacking faster, and allows you to Shell Trap with TurtonatorGX.
Turtonator will also be able to recover your energy late game.
I also prefer this one the most, as setting up the Charizard(s) will become less risky when Lysandre rotates...
and this deck will still keep all of it's cards~​

2. M Salamence // SalamenceEX
The option to discard energy is a big deal, and SalamenceEX is a decently good card in it's own right.
There's not a lot of synergy here, so the strategy is very linear.
It's just... a pretty solid attacker, and will be able to 2HKO reliably, while only dropping a few energy~​

3. M Rayquaza
This, to me, is more of a "win-more" strategy, though it is a fun one~
I've always liked this M Ray, but it's too limited with it's attacking.
I think Shrine of Memories could help a lot here.​

Fan fiction is always welcomed!

I think the Fairy vs. Water is pretty clearly slanted in the Fairy direction mainly because Ninetales, Lapras, and even Volcanion are more prevalent threats than Sylveon. Once the initial fervor dried up a bit, I haven't seen Sylveon nearly as much as the other three. I think that will also play out as true in Madison as well. Overall, Sylveon just isn't *that* easy of a deck to use. As for M Gardevoir and Gardevoir GX, I would probably say something similar about both...and this is coming from a person who absolutely LOVES playing several different varieties of M Gardevoir. If I were going to a tournament and my only choice was the 5 decks I listed (heaven forbid LOL), I would choose one of the dragon decks without blinking simply because of the lower likelihood of seeing Fairy decks.

All that said, just like you said, (that's a lot of said) Sylveon absolutely laughs at these decks. You better have an N for when (and I do mean when) they Plea GX your Mega / S2 because you are going to have to Kiawe all over again and N is the only way you get that energy back into your deck to be searched. It is an absolute nightmare match up.

As for the rankings, different strokes for different folks. If Water wasn't as prevalent right now, I would 100% agree with you on Charizard Generations being the best list. Overall, I think it is the most sustainable list even with the flips because it still *only* requires 4 energy attachments to probably hit 200 damage and if you are lucky, 250 damage. That's pretty strong and is the closest thing to being "recoverable" of any of these lists.

That said, I completely disagree with you on the Salamence pick. I played it. A lot. I tried every avenue I could think of to make it work too. Reshiram and I have a lot of quality time built up. Turbo varieties with Elixirs and Mega Turbos also saw a ton of play. I even built a list with Primal Kyogre as a way to power up M Salamence (interestingly enough, this was my most successful, but mainly because of Kyogre). I think I probably dedicated 200+ games trying to make it work. It just doesn't and I don't think Kiawe gets you there. The *only* way I see this card ever working looks like this: T1 Kiawe to Salamence EX + attach Water Energy / DDE. T2 attach spirit link, evolve to Mega, field blower spirit link, attach choice band, laugh maniacally (this is very important), then proceed to mop the floor with whatever your opponent throws at you by attaching every turn (DDE or Fire) and discarding as needed.

Easy right? Nope. If I am already dedicating that much effort to getting attachments every turn, you are better off just running the Rayquaza that also requires attachments every turn, also requires discards every turn, but doesn't need the choice band to hit magical numbers. As I said, this isn't some whimsical thing for me either. I really wanted that Salamence to work. I *STILL* really want that Salamence to work. It just doesn't.

Edit: Yeah, I do agree with you on the overkilling issue being a huge detriment to M Rayquaza. There are a lot of lists running 1 prize small mons (Garbodor lists consisted of 24 out of the top 32 lists at Seattle as I am sure is not news to almost anyone) and having the option to hit for less without the discard would be ideal. That's why I think every single one of these lists probably run Lele as their primary alternate attacker. Kiawe powers that card up enough to get you close to putting down most small threats on its own.

Outside the box thinking, you could possibly run a M Charizard Dragon Style with Yveltal EX and mix and match the damage output as needed. Not a huge fan and it is only actually available to be played in Expanded, but since I am throwing out bad deck ideas anyway, might as well mention that LOL!

Last edited:
Fan fiction is always welcomed!

I think the Fairy vs. Water is pretty clearly slanted in the Fairy direction mainly because Ninetales, Lapras, and even Volcanion are more prevalent threats than Sylveon. Once the initial fervor dried up a bit, I haven't seen Sylveon nearly as much as the other three. I think that will also play out as true in Madison as well. Overall, Sylveon just isn't *that* easy of a deck to use. As for M Gardevoir and Gardevoir GX, I would probably say something similar about both...and this is coming from a person who absolutely LOVES playing several different varieties of M Gardevoir. If I were going to a tournament and my only choice was the 5 decks I listed (heaven forbid LOL), I would choose one of the dragon decks without blinking simply because of the lower likelihood of seeing Fairy decks.

All that said, just like you said, (that's a lot of said) Sylveon absolutely laughs at these decks. You better have an N for when (and I do mean when) they Plea GX your Mega / S2 because you are going to have to Kiawe all over again and N is the only way you get that energy back into your deck to be searched. It is an absolute nightmare match up.

As for the rankings, different strokes for different folks. If Water wasn't as prevalent right now, I would 100% agree with you on Charizard Generations being the best list. Overall, I think it is the most sustainable list even with the flips because it still *only* requires 4 energy attachments to probably hit 200 damage and if you are lucky, 250 damage. That's pretty strong and is the closest thing to being "recoverable" of any of these lists.

That said, I completely disagree with you on the Salamence pick. I played it. A lot. I tried every avenue I could think of to make it work too. Reshiram and I have a lot of quality time built up. Turbo varieties with Elixirs and Mega Turbos also saw a ton of play. I even built a list with Primal Kyogre as a way to power up M Salamence (interestingly enough, this was my most successful, but mainly because of Kyogre). I think I probably dedicated 200+ games trying to make it work. It just doesn't and I don't think Kiawe gets you there. The *only* way I see this card ever working looks like this: T1 Kiawe to Salamence EX + attach Water Energy / DDE. T2 attach spirit link, evolve to Mega, field blower spirit link, attach choice band, laugh maniacally (this is very important), then proceed to mop the floor with whatever your opponent throws at you by attaching every turn (DDE or Fire) and discarding as needed.

Easy right? Nope. If I am already dedicating that much effort to getting attachments every turn, you are better off just running the Rayquaza that also requires attachments every turn, also requires discards every turn, but doesn't need the choice band to hit magical numbers. As I said, this isn't some whimsical thing for me either. I really wanted that Salamence to work. I *STILL* really want that Salamence to work. It just doesn't.

Edit: Yeah, I do agree with you on the overkilling issue being a huge detriment to M Rayquaza. There are a lot of lists running 1 prize small mons (Garbodor lists consisted of 24 out of the top 32 lists at Seattle as I am sure is not news to almost anyone) and having the option to hit for less without the discard would be ideal. That's why I think every single one of these lists probably run Lele as their primary alternate attacker. Kiawe powers that card up enough to get you close to putting down most small threats on its own.

Outside the box thinking, you could possibly run a M Charizard Dragon Style with Yveltal EX and mix and match the damage output as needed. Not a huge fan and it is only actually available to be played in Expanded, but since I am throwing out bad deck ideas anyway, might as well mention that LOL!

I love throwing around bad deck ideas!
Haha.

I'm actually surprised you've played M Mence already, considering you can only get it from the collection; not sure how much it goes for in trades tho.
I obviously haven't tried it, but the main reason for my ranking is: You can (potentially) start attacking with 2 attachments (DDE).
Now, I didn't say M Mence was good, I just thought it was better than some of the other options you gave. Haha.

Due to the decline in EX pokemon, RayquazaEX could be a better attacker than SalamenceEX...

But, Shrine works for Mence as well.
You could hit for 130 into 100; which is a reliable 2HKO.
Or 130 into 140, which is a 2HKO on nearly everything; and you only need to discard 1 energy.

Basically, I feel like Mence has the same benefits as Ray, but is more flexible.

Lapras is potentially a problem, but I think the decks lose to it regardless of weakness.
Ice Beam into Blizzard Burn kills just the same, for both Dragon and Fire.
100 -> 160 = 2HKO
200 -> 320 = 2HKO

and then you have to set up all over again.
Yeah, there is the problem of getting OHKO'd by Blizzard Burn...
But there's also the problem of getting OHKO'd by Despair Ray.
As I mentioned already, Altar of Sunne is at least an option.
the Dragon decks have no protection against weakness, and are weak to energy hate, due to their awkward attack costs.
They pretty much require DDE (for consistency); and if you attach water/electric, they can target that with a Grunt, and you'll need to find another.

Sidenote: I think M Garde is going to gain a bit of popularity; due to things like Lele and Pokemon Stretcher.

EDIT: Yeah, I think the weakness thing depends on what's more popular; because both have potentially high playability.

Known Meta Decks:
M Garde vs Volcanion
both received support in GR.

Newcomers:
Ninetales vs Sylveon
both have been hyped up, and could see a lot of play.

I do believe Water to be more a problem than Fairy, but not by much.
I believe Volcanion will have a higher play rate than M Garde, but only the EX has Water typing; so hopefully you can Lysandre and OHKO them before they get out of control~

I think Ninetales and Sylveon will have similar playability.

Last edited:
I mean, Gardevoir had its own set with volcanion not 5 sets ago.. I shiver at the thought that that and the slew of FA it's had every few sets before that could be thought of as a lack of attention x'D

Clearly, the best way to use this Pokemon right now in standard isn't trying to setup for a Crimson Storm or Mill, but with Charmander from Generations. With a lot of damage counters, shrine of memories, and Victini, you can hit for a ton of damage 3/4 of the times, as it is a coin flip. Even though this could be hard to pull off, it could still be pretty fun :)

It not like it happened before (looks at Crimsion Dive Mega Charizard)

I think the reasons are:
  1. Promoting the TCG to younger players, casual players and certain other folk. Charizard is a popular pokemon, people love big numbers and Awesome but Impractical moves and Charizard often has those in spades. This is the likely reason Charizard cards are often barely above Ancient Mew levels of usability.
  2. While the "printed" HP never reached 300, there certain cards such as Fighting Fury Belt and Heavy Boots do increase the HP. If either of those is on a Wailord that has Fire Resistance it could survive the attack, but this is just theorymonning.
  3. Conversely, the attack could get lowered by stuff like Hard Stone, resistance, etc. but catch is that most pokemon that could use these have toi give up the HP boosts form the boots and belt and would still not be able to survive these types of attacks.
Its not limited to Charizard as you pointed out, but as a pokemon poplar with certain subsets from the beginning he does seem liek the most likely to get this kind a treatment.

The next Charizard card:

Stage 2 Charizard HP160[R]
Evolves from Charmeleon

[C][C][C] Wing Attack 50

[R][R][R][R][R][R][R][R][R] BIG NUMBERZ 1000
Discard all Energy attached to this Pokemon.

Weakness: [W]x2 Resistance: Retreat: [C][C][C]

Close. But I think a (slightly less Tounge in Cheek card) would be.

M Charizard GX
Evolves from Charizard GX (insert M Pokemon clause here)

[R][C][C] Ember 20

[R][R][R][R][R] Crimson Blitz 400
Discard all Energy attached to this Pokemon and all pokemon in your bench.

[R][R][R][R][R][R][R][R][R] Ultimate Infernal Blaze of the Glorious Dragon Breath of the Wild Flame GX (Insert GX attack clause here) 1000
This attack deals 300 damage to all your opponent's benched pokemon (does not apply weakness and resistance). Discard all of your benched Pokemon and everything in your hand.

(okay the reason I said slightly less if because the 2nd attack has a less tounge in cheek name that the GX attack more than makes up for :p )

If they add some fire support and some more mill Pokemon I could see it in a deck. In a meta where Greninja BREAK is strong though it may not work very well. The reason why I would say it could be viable is because a Fire and DC to mill 10 cards could win a game. Most decks can mill themselves down to 10-15 cards in 4 turns. If you have other Pokemon in the deck to help mill and then have a Charizard GX on the bench ready to hit them for 10 cards gone that is game. As long as you don't lose to prize cards first.

Hrm... whilst Raging Out GX is a good mill move, there are enough cards out there ATM to get around that (Brock's Grit for example). Aside from that, this is just a typical Charizard card - pretty to look at, but not good enough to use competitively. Hell, Flashfire/Evolutions M Charizard EX's Crimson Dive is better, does the same amount of damage and just takes 50HP off the big guy rather than forcing an energy discard.

Last edited:
You know what I'm OK with this Charizard GX is only OK: if a Charizard was ever truly busted can you think of how much it would cost? Charizard always carries an increase in how much a card would cast because of it's popularity.

I'll admit I used the Mega Charizard Y when it came out in Flashfire and it was fun going for the real soviet damage. Now yes this one has it too but If I wanted to build a deck for that I'd rather use Dragon Mega Ray. Instead that Rage Out milling Ten cards has my interest as we have Houndoom EX with Melting Horn. Throw in every form of energy removal along with N, Ace Trainer and the like and there we have an ACTIVE Mill. You just use the Raging Out when you are at a point that will finish off their deck. You are not going to use that until it's the coup de grace.

Let me just say that the only good thing about Charizards is the artwork. Good for collecting, not so much for actually playing. I hope that changes but I'm not holding my breath for this.

Back