News Datamine Leak Discussion - Spoiler Warning

I'm really curious about those supposed pre-evolutions of Solgaleo and Lunala. What's the relationship between the two, is it a Manaphy situation or something else? It'd be really interesting if it was the other way around, where you start with the pre-evolutions and can evolve them into Solgaleo/Lunala but you can't breed them back down. Not sure if that'll happen though in light of their encounter scene in the original trailer.

Beyond that, I find most of the leaks to be pretty meh, it seems like all of the good stuff was revealed already. And yeah, it is really disappointing how much genwunner pandering there is in this game, although not all that surprising.

I am surprised that some pokemon don't have evoluation such as komala, minior and pyukumuku
Well, every generation needs a Farfetch'd. Personally, I'm more surprised people expected Minior would get an evolution... it has an in-battle transformation ability, and so far not a single Pokemon that has one of those has an evolution.

I don't see why Komala was so widely expected to evolve. It's a koala; what was it going to become, a bigger koala? A kangaroo?

Mainly size, I guess; komala also has a "cute" quality that more often than not, fully evolved first-stagers lack, take farfetch'd for example, or absol; pokemon codifies its designs mainly in two axes: size and traditionally defined "cuteness"; the more mature a pokemon is, the bigger and/or more mature it will look (with the exception of some special things like the pikaclones and such; it's not a hard rule).

Komala fits both, as does luvdisc, for example; remember when everybody was saying alomomola was a luvdisc evolution? I was surprised by that as well; perhaps komala didn't had much room for expanding the concept like other pokemon do as they evolve, but it did seem like it would at least grow a little and stop being cute.

I'm pretty sad that there's only so few Alolan forms. I was hoping for Pokemon like Dewgong and Parasect to get extremely cool looking forms, but it seems we're only limited to these mons. And most of them don't look that good, in my opinion. Like....what are those black towers on Golem supposed to resemble?

Most of the newer Pokemon look pretty good, save for a select few. Bubble Spider is pretty creepy, though he won't go on my team. Morelull's evolution is also quite unsettling, due to its blank, judging stare. The ghost anchor is meh, Crabrawler's (hopeful) evo looks goofy and menacing, Toucan Sam Pikipek's evolution is also meh. Sandalit's evo is gorgeous, and the Sea Urchin is confusing.

I'm so happy that not only does wimpod evolve, but that it evolves into such a badass pokemon. A good bug/water pokemon is something i wanted for so long. My favorite team to play is a mono bug team and water is something that was always lacking in it (there's hidden power, but it just wasn't enough). Wimpod's evolution looks mostly physical (just look at those claws) and bulky, similar to scizor, so i'm assuming it'll have low speed and sp.atk and high attack (hopefully above 110) and defenses. X-scizor and waterfall are obvious moves it could learn. Maybe razor shell, but that move is inferior to waterfall. Aqua jet is also a possibility and if not, it could get it through breeding with surskit. i'm hoping it also learn good moves outside it's typing for better coverage (earthquake, rock slide, knock off, ice punch etc). Water/bug is also a great type combination considering it only has 3 weaknesses and 5 resistances. I was kinda hoping for a special water/bug considering hydro pump and ice beam are a thing, but who knows, maybe that spider thing is exactly that (or not).

I'm pretty sad that there's only so few Alolan forms. I was hoping for Pokemon like Dewgong and Parasect to get extremely cool looking forms, but it seems we're only limited to these mons. And most of them don't look that good, in my opinion. Like....what are those black towers on Golem supposed to resemble?

I think they're supposed to be magnets. The extra eyebrows/beards on the whole evolution line are supposed to be like iron filings, and the yellow spots hint that they're Rock/Electric type.

I like the line overall, but the concept is a little similar to Probopass, which is also in the Alola dex.

Way too many pokemon from previous generations in the Alola pokedex, especially generation 1 (the pandering seriously needs to stop). I also can't believe they didn't include some pokemon that clearly have tropical elements in their design like Tropius and Chatot. One last thing, Komala and Pyukumunu or whatever that sea cucumber is called seriously need an evolution. That's just my opinion.

I'm really curious about those supposed pre-evolutions of Solgaleo and Lunala. What's the relationship between the two, is it a Manaphy situation or something else? It'd be really interesting if it was the other way around, where you start with the pre-evolutions and can evolve them into Solgaleo/Lunala but you can't breed them back down. Not sure if that'll happen though in light of their encounter scene in the original trailer.

Beyond that, I find most of the leaks to be pretty meh, it seems like all of the good stuff was revealed already. And yeah, it is really disappointing how much genwunner pandering there is in this game, although not all that surprising.
I think it might just be pokemon that accompany legendaries. like kyurem and cryogonal.

I think it might just be pokemon that accompany legendaries. like kyurem and cryogonal.

Whilst that is a possibility, the fact that they both have obvious visual similarities to Solgaleo/Lunala (to the point where they literally have the same pattern as Solgaleo/Lunala's foreheads) and are directly before them in the Pokedex (which is usually reserved for psuedo legendaries) makes me think that it's not a coincidence. (whereas with the Kyurem/Cryogonal comparison you made there's no obvious similarities that would make anyone think that they are related; after their Ice typing that's about it)
I'd like to see them be pre-evolutions for the legendaries although how that would work would be interesting. Maybe we defeat Solgaleo/Lunala and then are able to catch the basic form of it at some point? But I'm almost definitely certain they're definitely related to the legendaries in some way.

Whilst that is a possibility, the fact that they both have obvious visual similarities to Solgaleo/Lunala (to the point where they literally have the same pattern as Solgaleo/Lunala's foreheads) and are directly before them in the Pokedex (which is usually reserved for psuedo legendaries) makes me think that it's not a coincidence. (whereas with the Kyurem/Cryogonal comparison you made there's no obvious similarities that would make anyone think that they are related; after their Ice typing that's about it)
I'd like to see them be pre-evolutions for the legendaries although how that would work would be interesting. Maybe we defeat Solgaleo/Lunala and then are able to catch the basic form of it at some point? But I'm almost definitely certain they're definitely related to the legendaries in some way.
I agree, although in the pokedex, they come after one another, and then solgaleo and lunala, so I do not think they are evolutions.

I agree, although in the pokedex, they come after one another, and then solgaleo and lunala, so I do not think they are evolutions.

I have a theory which does actually work with this; that the cloud puff evolves into the golden thing with the sphere inside, which can then evolve into either Solgaleo or Lunala.
But unless it is a split evolution, then it's more than likely that they're just Pokemon that have something to do with Solgaleo/Lunala.

I subscribe your opinion. And to stop the pandering, Pokémon like Espeon and Umbreom could be included with new Alolan forms or even evoluiton as well as Lunatone and Solrock and the Clefairy family-

It seems that what I feared came true: that little else exists after so much revelations in these few months just like with XY...and no Dolphin Pokémon.

PS: Alola isn't full of life as expected and it's really lackluster with the absence of a big amount of Water, Grass and Bug Pokémon.

Last edited:
I have a theory which does actually work with this; that the cloud puff evolves into the golden thing with the sphere inside, which can then evolve into either Solgaleo or Lunala.
I think you hit the nail on the head. If you look closely at the almost pupal-like middle stage, not only has it developed golden parts resembling Solgaleo's mane/Lunala's wings, but it also contains blue and pink stripes which resemble Solgaleo and Lunala's eyes, respectively. Judging solely on design, I'd guess the Pokémon are more likely related by evolution than just association.

With so much of the traditional formula being shaken up this gen, I'm excited to see if we're correct. I'd love a legendary line which actually evolves -- it's been a long time coming.

There's also the possibility the cosmo-blobs are the same 'mon but with different formes depending on the game.

That would be my guess; however, their similitude with the mascots is difficult to deny, even when their differences are far more significative.

I doubt they're evolutions of the legendaries; the "perfection" of legendary mascots always seemed like one of those design tenets GF would never break, because it's important to the role they play in the plot; once a legendary is something you get early enough that you need to evolve it (if there isn't a very good story excusing it), it becomes just another pokemon; we often joke about being able to keep God in a Pokeball, but in that case what is the difference between the pokemon we raised until it became the incredible world-saving powerhouse and the one we received at the start of the journey, or caught on a whim in some random route? not evolving was always part of their mystique (even though, yes, a ten year old can keep them in their pocket if they feel like it; story and gameplay segregation).

I'd say the middle ground would be that they're just unpowered, unrevealed formes of solgaleo and lunala (one each), like the zygarde core, but even then, their designs don't match enough with either of them.

It seems that what I feared came true: that little else exists after so much revelations in these few months just like with XY...and no Dolphin Pokémon.

PS: Alola isn't full of life as expected and it's really lackluster with the absence of a big amount of Water, Grass and Bug Pokémon.

Yes, that Dolphin Pokemon.. Wasted opportunity. But it's still possible right? Not all has been revealed. Wasn't that Dolphin mentioned in the Chinese leaks that have all proven right so far? I'm still hoping!

I also noticed the lack of 3-line evolutions. Almost no stage 2 Pokemon, except for the starters obviously and the ''early game Pokemon'' (the bird and bug) and pseudo legendary there is just 1. Just 4 all together, while gen 1, for example, had 15. That's a shame because evolving is Always cool in my opinion. Not every Pokemon needs it, and sometimes it's done completely wrong (Magmortar, Electivire.. ) but still.. I remember the good old days when you didn't even know what would happen, and seeing my hard trained Larvitar evolving again (after Pupitar) was an awesome surprise.

Tapu purple is probably the dolphin just as crabyeti is probably the snowman.

7 three-stage evolutionary families seems about prportionate for these new half-gens they're making now. XY had 8.

7 three-stage evolutionary families seems about prportionate for these new half-gens they're making now. XY had 8.

Hm, don't agree. 15 is a bit much perhaps, because these generations are indeed smaller, but I would like to see at least 6/7 3-stage evolution lines outside of the starters.. I think they are often very interesting. XY had 8, but that gen was really small. This gen is a somewhat bigger, but we only get 7.. Oh well.

You're probably right about Tapu purple (and Crabeyeti) now that I look at it.. Like it quite a lot!

Back