Worlds Restricted to Invitees and Family Only; Stream Schedule

There's going to be a lot of backlash about this.

If the venue couldn't handle such a big event, why would they have even agreed to it?

I can only hope regular attendees will get refunds on their plane and hotels. There should be no reason they can't after this terrible scenario.

I feel like TPCI is modeling this new system off of the system of competitive play used by WotC for Magic the Gathering. this is not good because the MTG system seems to be bias to people who have played the game longer (most of the time)

How has spectating worked in the past? Has public access to the main event been useful at all? Maybe their reduction of attendance will allow them to focus more on things like more streams, and keeping the event itself more streamlined.

They really need to announce this stuff in advance it's just the same as announcing before they released Steam Siege that they were moving the date the sets were legal for worlds. These look like last minute changes which they should have prep better for.

Well at least they announce the changes to competitive play for '17 at least in advance.

I wonder if this is a security decision because of those two morons with the guns at Boston. While I think it's a huge disservice to the fans to make it private, I can at least understand if this is the reason. The event was targeted already, and with the rise in terrorism and mass shootings, I can understand if this was the reason.

There's nothing wrong with closing the event to the general public for whatever reason (space, security, etc) - it's the fact that they waited until only A WEEK before to tell everyone! You have an event that's been open to the public since its beginning, and then just a week before you announce that no one but invitees can get in? That's what's not okay here. They knew the venue was small and there were a lot of invitees this year, so this is something they should have announced at least a few months ago. If I decide to call off my trip I'll be out my airfare/shuttle expenses, which is really frustrating (though not as bad as people coming from other states and overseas).

Some people are saying you can register for the Pokken LCQ to get a badge, but I'm still trying to find out if that badge will also let you participate in side events (basically, are all badges the same or is there one for Pokken, one for side events, etc?) Things are so disorganized now, even if they say the badges are the same there's still a chance they could tell me otherwise when I finally get there...

Is it because of the Boston incident last year so that's why they changed the rules on the August 19 event? So sad for those who want to enter that event. I hope some of the YouTubers that I know were here next week.

This is fairly shocking.

I'm not attending Worlds this year but I really feel for people that may have booked flights, hotels, time off work etc. to spectate and/or support their friends.

I wonder what the reason is?

As others have mentioned, there's no problem at all in limiting capacity for security reasons, etc. but to announce this one week before. That's just bad organisation. Perhaps they forgot to mention it in previous announcements! :rolleyes:

I can't believe TPCi is doing this. They really disappoint tons of Pokemon fans. Pokemon TCG should be fun and events like this should be one happy place of Pokemon love. Shutting the doors for fans this close to the event is just cruel. Even Gyarados doesn't dare to blast his most fearsome attack at Pokemon fans, but Nintendo does. I know people who are really hurt by this decision. They bought plane tickets, booked a room in the hotel where the event is hosted and invested a lot of money. TPCi should be really aware of the consequences of their actions. Next year we won't be so eager to visit! The more I get into the game, the more I see the downside. And that's a shame. There are so many rules and restriction, some are so hard to understand. This is one of them. I really hope TPCi will fix this and make not just Worlds, but every Pokemon event less harsh and more fun to visit. I want the fun old Pokemon feeling back.

Well I'm pissed. I was gonna go, but now there's no reason too. And 3 of man friends are going as well, so I won't be able to cheer them on. This is disappointing

This is really bad news for those attending but not playing. I know someone attending and he found this out last week. He told me that if he had known this in advance, then he would not have bought the 3rd airline ticket for his wife since she is unable to come into the venue. Only one parent is allowed in with Juniors.

However, this is typical of TPCi to announce such drastic news either late or right before an event... It's as if they live in a vacuum and make these decisions without really considering their fan base at all!!!!

It's also probably because of random Pokemon go people. I'd rather go through the same security from worlds last year than have my friends be restricted from being with me cuz they didn't qualify.

Is it because of the Boston incident last year so that's why they changed the rules on the August 19 event? So sad for those who want to enter that event. I hope some of the YouTubers that I know were here next week.

I doubt that's the case here. In the same regulations, those two would have been able to still get in because they have qualified for worlds that year.

This is super super disappointing. :'(

Tip from a local: If you are planing on coming, be sure to check out other stuff in the area outside the city itself (I'm in Oakland & actually am... not a huge fan of SF tbh); there's a lot else to see and do... good food, neat hiking places, etc. Although, definitely do check out the city if you've never been! If you are a cool person who already has plans to come out here, hmu.

Maybe there are enough people who planned on coming here whose plans are now shattered that some unofficial pokemon meetups could be planned in public parks and things like this. If I organized something like this through Facebook or somesuch would people be interested in that?

Last edited:
I said it in another post. My suspicion is that Pokemon GO through a huge monkey wrench into worlds. At this point, everybody wants a piece of the action. Pokemon is trying to keep the game about the players. I commend them.

I've lived in San Francisco for half a decade, crazy turns out to these events.

People are going to want to get into the event to promote and play Pokemon Go that have no business being there. This is a highly technological and young city with money to spend. I mean huge money to spend.

I guarantee that since the release of this action, companies and people are already planning counter measures to these actions to get in and promote. Save your passes, because if you don't make into day two and don't want to attend the event anymore, they might have street value.

This is a high powered city with money, big money, Google Money. Pokemon just told them to go do something else with their weekend. Respect. Big time respect!

Back