'Blue Impact' / 'Red Flash' Japan's XY8 Sets, Next Set Block Titled 'XY: BREAK!'

Wooow that artwork is epic!!! They better frigin still make mega full arts and put the exact color scheme of this on it!!

The green on the art is out of place to me but it's still very, very cool looking. Like some of the Ancient Origins FAs, I hope they give him an actual background location (if he gets a FA) instead of something like red and fire all around it.

This card is garbage through and through. It's weak (for a mega), reliant on Special Energy, and it's not even Dark-type. The artwork is no good, either. It's like the kind of picture you'd lose points for in Pokemon Snap.

Oh yeah, huh? It's been a day and I already forgot about it.

I think Mega Houndoom-EX has plenty tools to make it a very useful attacker.
Yeah, but as usual, there's the Xerosic stuff. Blacksmith works similarly well, esp. since Crushing Hammer / Flare Grunt won't work.

It looks like it is pouncing at you... AHHHHH!

2 Fire for 160... Not bad. I wish it had 220 HP though, as the HP count is quite important to consider deciding it over, say, the Camerupt Duo. (Which, by the way, is quite a lot of fun!)

Hitting for 160 means you're going to want a Muscle Band on it for EX KOs, so you'll need to juggle with Spirit Links using Tool Retrieval.

The EX line is 170/210 with no resistance, which is really low.

Houndoom can certainly function, but how good will it be?

Last edited:
I'm not hating the artwork, but I'm not not hating the artwork either. It's a weird feeling.
I like the regular Houndoom's artwork better.

Hmmm. Not as good as Camerupt, which can OHKO Megas with enough Energy. Kind of hoped this card would have something more interesting, Burn-related maybe.

You know what? I'm gonna say this now. This is BY FAR the best art in the set. 5Bon Graphics really outdone themselves here.

Even the attack isn't that bad. I could see this put in Combustion Blast Charizard decks or just a brand new deck with Blacksmith.

I think this was intended to be a Mega Glalie counter (80 doesn't trigger the 250 damage from glalie and then 160 after that ko's it), though it still is a pretty bad card compared to other megas at this time.

It's not the best mega in the world, and it is a shame it doesn't have a resistance. The last time a Fire-type Houndoom was printed was back in 2009; Houndoom G in Platinum, and that had a resistance.

Burning/Blazing Energy is the trick to win the battle with Mega Houndoom.

Everyone gets that, but the problem is that it's still only 160 damage. That's not enough to OHKO any XY-On EX besides Florges EX (that nobody plays). Which means he 2HKOs at best, and at that point, might as well use a better Mega that can OHKO stuff, with more HP too, like say, Mega Rayquaza.

It's not the best mega in the world, and it is a shame it doesn't have a resistance. The last time a Fire-type Houndoom was printed was back in 2009; Houndoom G in Platinum, and that had a resistance.

The only reason it had a resistance was because they gave Houndoom G the usual weakness/resistance of Dark-types... Fire-types never had a resistance in TCG unless they had a secondary type in the games (Like Charizard with its Fighting resistance on its Fire-type cards because it is also a Flying-type in the games)...

The only reason it had a resistance was because they gave Houndoom G the usual weakness/resistance of Dark-types... Fire-types never had a resistance in TCG unless they had a secondary type in the games (Like Charizard with its Fighting resistance on its Fire-type cards because it is also a Flying-type in the games)...
I know that, but then again not all Dark-type Houndoom cards had a resistance though, but that was when they were dual-typed.

I'm kinda disappointed on these Houndoom and M-Houndoom cards (and keep in mind I say this with a heavy heart since I like Houndoom a lot). I mean, I understand TPCi is trying to keep the game balanced, and I even thought I expected M-Houndoom to have 1 less energy requirement in order to retreat than Houndoom (which it does), I was really expecting at least one of two things to come with it:

1. Houndoom having the option to discard all fire energy attached to it to do, at least, 240 in damage. Even if it required 3 energies attached to it to attack (and I would be very impressed if the last energy would have been a colorless one), those energies could be streamed through the use of blacksmith + the energy attachment for the turn, or using 2 burning energies and one energy attachment -- which could help to keep two other burning energies to eventually be attached to a M-Houndoom being build on the bench. Attacking for only 80/160 would keep fire-weak mons in check, but it would be a very bad card to keep a stream of KO's if matched against any other types (including mons that naturally resist fire). And, I mean, 160, while potentially discarding 2 energies, is horrible, specially in a format where cards like Dragon M-Ray can hit 300 discarding the same amount, and still is kinda resistant to fire...

2. I really REALLY hoped M-Houndoom came with the omega barrier trait: having basically the NEED to keep those burning energies in play, and currently having no way to recover them from the discard pile, without at least a way to protect those energies from being removed from play is a big downside of this card. I mean, I understand it is possible to avoid losing the energies through hammers if you play it combined with vileplume, but Xerosic and Team Flare Grant are probably gonna be seen a lot of play on an XY-on format so heavily reliant on special energies =(

Back