'Blue Impact' / 'Red Flash' Japan's XY8 Sets, Next Set Block Titled 'XY: BREAK!'

Nice Gengar card! I don't think this will be best paired with the bat line, having multiple stage 2s in a deck leads to inconsistency. Maybe a 4-4 Golbat line but I wouldn't have Crobat.

I have some points why I like this card:
1.)EPIC artwork.
2.)They might have a synergy between Houndoom and Camerupt w/ any switching stuff even without Blazing Energy.

Another great way of spreading damage, is via the Magma's Secret Base Stadium, applying two to any Pokemon benched!

Also, if this thing were to be the feature card of a Theme Deck..Iron Tide, Dark Hammer, and Storm Rider will have to play for second.

I don't think there is really much more that can be done to give support to stage 2 Pokemon without making them so easy to get into play that they should be worth two prize cards, lol.
We have, to this point, Archie's and Maxie's, which can be difficult to pull off a lot of the time, and decks have to build around it to be consistent. We have Rare Candy, which relies on the stage 2 and the item card be in hand at the same time, but the reprint of Skyla will help that a lot. Lastly, we have Forest of Giant Plants, which I think may be the most powerful of the three, as you can more easily get a turn one stage 2 or mega out than with Archie or Maxie.​
What more can they really do?
I think support for stage 2's could come in the way of some sort of energy acceleration.
Stay Tuned!

If Poison-types were still classified under the Grass TCG typing, Gengar + Crobat would be a nightmare under the new Grass-type BTS. Thank god they're not anymore, right? ; )

I like this energy card the most out of all of the specific type special energies thus far. I like it not because it is the most powerful or viable, but because it fits with the drawback that most fire type attacks have; discarding energy. Honestly, every other energy's affect feels like it could have been slapped on to any type and it wouldn't have mattered.
Very interested to see what the special water energy will be!

Remember that deck that used Bunnelby and ninjask to discard all the cards in your opponents deck? Well Houndoom is Bunnelby 2.0. That first attack does the same thing as bunnelby, plus has lots more hp, and won't die in one hit like bunnelby does. only downside is houndoom can't be searched with level ball. still this card will be great with ninjask regardless.

Not a bad attack at all. Discarding [R][R] is a pretty darn good cost for 160. It even has synergy with its regular EX form (or with itself, if you use Shrine of Memories).

Also Blacksmith.

Last edited:
Disappointing. See if this is used early game to set up knockouts, it should have had higher HP or had something to prevent it from being OHKO'd by annoying Night March, M Ray, etc. 210 HP is so low and this isn't M Manectric where you accelerate energy you have to discard all Fire energy for... a measly 160 (180 with Muscle Band).

and I forgot to say that this horrid attack is on a... Mega meaning it Houndoom EX had to be in play for a turn before you can be evoked? You might not even get to use him so so many things can OHKO just about every starter/early game attacker.

Wow, just wow. That artwork is intense, and really captures Mega Houndoom perfectly, kudos 5-ban graphics.

Using basic fire energy allows you to blacksmith each turn for the attack cost (unfortunately you can't attach more than 2 fire energy since you are forced to discard every fire energy attached), but if you don't have a blacksmith you have no way to keep hitting the 160 each turn.

If you use the Burning Energy however, that problem solves itself, but you are then left wide open to special energy denial via Enhanced Hammer and Xerosic.

Luckily Team Magma's Camerupt and Energy Switch exists, but that itself brings some problems.

Wow this art is amazing. I love the Green. Interested to see how the FA will look if it gets one.

Attacks and such could be better but it isn't that bad.

Not a bad attack at all. Discarding [R][R] is a pretty darn good cost for 160. It even has synergy with its regular EX form (or with itself, if you use Shrine of Memories).

Also Blacksmith.
How about the Burning Energy?

They made the sparks green! Finally not the generic yellow!
That makes it look so much better, though it seems a little pushed aside by the text.

I predicted 180 with a two energy discard, so i wasn't that far off. This just needs a way to get 20 more damage to hit all ex's, and a way to deal with other megas. If neither of those are possible, then this becomes a worse card. this is turning into a format where you either have to deal enough damage to one shot anything/most things, or provide some kind of lock or disruption while 3 shotting/2 shotting things. This could see more viability with maybe a card like TYPHOLSION!! Seriously though, they need to make Typhlosion in this set.

The artwork is just awesome. The entire card is engulfed into flames. Really cool.
Plus, 160 for 2 is quite good. If you don't want to use just Burning Energy, combine both the special and the basic fire energy... So far, this is the best fire Mega available, so, counting on the rise of Grass decks, it will be useful. Nonetheless, someone will find some use to it, I'm sure.

While 160 damage for 2 energy is nice, I think they made this thing too reliant on Burning Energy. We have hammers and Xerosic in the XY-on rotation, plus the fact Burning Energy can't be fetched with Houndoom-EX, or Blacksmith.

That said, I feel 160 is too little for the cost of Inferno Fang.

To bump the damage up a bit, I'd say trying to run Bats with this would be a good idea. With the Spirit Link, attaching Muscle Band to deal that extra 20 damage is too much of a hassle, in my opinion. So M Houndoom-EX/Bats is what I see happening.

Back