Discussion Possible Top 5 XY-On Decks

M Gallade might be a top contender in Standard soon. I've seen my brother test it on PTCGO against decks like M Rayquaza, Toad variants and stuff. It seems to work really well. The only problem of course, is M Ray but all decks (except Primal Groudon and Mega Manectric) have to watch out for it.

So I think M Gallade might be good. Oh yeah, it also hits the very hyped Machamp EX for Weakness and can damage Ariados if Bats place damage on it.

This deck is in the BW-on Expanded format, which has become the primary format for competitive play next season. If Plasma Storm/Blast get rotated out in Expanded next season, this deck won't work, but for now, I can give it a shot.

Then the deck is pretty irrelevant to this thread, which specifically says, top XY-on decks. And I didn't realize that regionals being Expanded was enough to make Expanded the "primary format" for competetive play.

This deck is in the BW-on Expanded format, which has become the primary format for competitive play next season. If Plasma Storm/Blast get rotated out in Expanded next season, this deck won't work, but for now, I can give it a shot.

There is already a thread in the general Pokemon TCG section for that deck list which is here: http://www.pokebeach.com/forums/threads/2015-2016-expanded-decks-strategies.125156/

In this thread, we're talking about Standard Format decks which was the intention of the poster. Please don't take things off topic.

My prediction:

5. M Sceptile Variants -There's a lot of variants that could be used (M Sceptile/Vileplume, M Sceptile/Lugia EX, M Spectile/Ariados) which is why I put this at number 5.
4. Primal Groudon - Even with the grass decks to come, Primal Ground EX's ancient trait, bulk, and power will keep it alive. It loses near to nothing from the rotation, and Weakness Police can help with bad match ups.
3. Riachu/Bats - It's just a REALLY solid deck. Has few bad match ups.
2. Vespiqueen/Eeveelutions - From what we know of Plasma Flareon, it's simple to see why Vespiqueen will be a good deck. It can hit for good numbers, can retreat for free, only gives one prize, sets up fast, and has little counters. The Eeveelutions also can give it the edge of hitting for even more weakness, while also having a great type for decks like the Primals and Seismitoad. Also Level Ball is crazy good in this deck.
1. Metal Rayquaza - It's a well rounded fast deck that placed very well at US Nationals. It also has little to weakness that can't be solved.

There's a lot of good decks that could see use (Machamp EX, Gallade EX, Giratina EX, Shiftry, Night March, M T Tar EX) but they'll be out-classed by some of, if not all of these decks. That's not to say you shouldn't build them and give them a go, if you're a good enough player/deck builder you could make them work and profit for you.

Prove me wrong.
Pro Tip: You can't.

Last edited:
So I am deciding for the XY-On rotation I will be making a Giratina EX/ Vileplume/ Hydreigon EX deck but I would like to know what the competition for the XY-On formate might be. Some ideas I would like to throw out would be Metal/ M Rayquaza EX (Colorless), Machamp EX/ Ariados,Primal Groudon EX, and M Sceptile EX/ M Heracross EX. Some of these decks have already done well in the 2015 Nationals but not all good decks from Nationals will survive the rotation like Night March, personally losing the Mew EX will really hurt the deck. I appreciate all input!

1. Metal/ M Rayquaza EX (Colorless)
2. Raichu/ Bats
3. Metal Variants
4. Giratina EX/ Vileplume
5. Vespiquen/ Eveelutions

These are so far some competitive decks you might consider when going to your next tournament for the XY-On rotation!

Here is a link to my Giratina EX/ Vileplume/ Hydreigon EX deck!
http://www.pokebeach.com/forums/threads/xy-on-giratina-ex-hydreigon-ex-vileplume.124920/
I don't particularly think that everyone should be so hasty with ignoring Hippowdon, the deck gets considerably good match-ups against most decks in the format, with the exception of Bats and NM. I believe the deck will succeed especially well when played in the expanded format due to the Laser/Toad combo and the ability to search for any pokemon in the deck with Heavy Ball. (But this is just my opinion, however I have done much testing that backs these statements up.)

Not in order

Raichu Bats
Rayquaza
Manectric
Sceptile
Vileplume or Tyranitar (Im still sceptical about Vileplume but Im sure people will try to make it work.)

My prediction:

5. M Sceptile Variants -There's a lot of variants that could be used (M Sceptile/Vileplume, M Sceptile/Lugia EX, M Spectile/Ariados) which is why I put this at number 5.
4. Primal Groudon - Even with the grass decks to come, Primal Ground EX's ancient trait, bulk, and power will keep it alive. It loses near to nothing from the rotation, and Weakness Police can help with bad match ups.
3. Riachu/Bats - It's just a REALLY solid deck. Has few bad match ups.
2. Vespiqueen/Eeveelutions - From what we know of Plasma Flareon, it's simple to see why Vespiqueen will be a good deck. It can hit for good numbers, can retreat for free, only gives one prize, sets up fast, and has little counters. The Eeveelutions also can give it the edge of hitting for even more weakness, while also having a great type for decks like the Primals and Seismitoad. Also Level Ball is crazy good in this deck.
1. Metal Rayquaza - It's a well rounded fast deck that placed very well at US Nationals. It also has little to weakness that can't be solved.

There's a lot of good decks that could see use (Machamp EX, Gallade EX, Giratina EX, Shiftry, Night March, M T Tar EX) but they'll be out-classed by some of, if not all of these decks. That's not to say you shouldn't build them and give them a go, if you're a good enough player/deck builder you could make them work and profit for you.

Prove me wrong.
Pro Tip: You can't.

How exactly does sceptile work? He doesnt do enough damage abd you need a lot of items for the energy, what exactly makes it so good?

How exactly does sceptile work? He doesnt do enough damage abd you need a lot of items for the energy, what exactly makes it so good?

Speed and easy acceleration. He's pretty much M Manectric but better. He also can 2hitKO pretty much anything while Ariados or Muscle Band is being used (altought Ariados is probably the better choice, sense you'll want to use Spirit Link). It's just a solid fast deck.

I'm curious what makes you think Primal Groudon is better than Machamp EX? I can't prove you wrong but... Machamp does serious amounts of damage for just three energy. It's basic, unlike Primal Groudon it doesn't have a stupid mega rule, doesn't need spirit link, doesn't need any stadium cards in play to do real damage, and at last doesn't have an inconvenient weakness. Machamp's first attack and poisoning are just nice additions. Though Omega Barrier is great, is it worth it? Also it may out-class Giratina EX, but can Groudon beat it? I don't know...

Speed and easy acceleration. He's pretty much M Manectric but better. He also can 2hitKO pretty much anything while Ariados or Muscle Band is being used (altought Ariados is probably the better choice, sense you'll want to use Spirit Link). It's just a solid fast deck.
Ive heard its the exact opposite it being a worde version of M Manectric-EX.

I'm curious what makes you think Primal Groudon is better than Machamp EX? I can't prove you wrong but... Machamp does serious amounts of damage for just three energy. It's basic, unlike Primal Groudon it doesn't have a stupid mega rule, doesn't need spirit link, doesn't need any stadium cards in play to do real damage, and at last doesn't have an inconvenient weakness. Machamp's first attack and poisoning are just nice additions. Though Omega Barrier is great, is it worth it? Also it may out-class Giratina EX, but can Groudon beat it? I don't know...
Its the bulk and ancient trait that makes groudon good. What do you mean by outclass giratina? Theta stop doesnt stop safeguard abilities.

Its the bulk and ancient trait that makes groudon good. What do you mean by outclass giratina? Theta stop doesnt stop safeguard abilities.

uh Theta...? I wasn't talking about M-Sceptile. Primal Groudon has Omega Barrier as I mentioned in my post. And I meant Groudon EX will probably have a bad match-up against Giratina

Anything that takes 3 energy attachments to function is too slow. I hate to break it to you, but Machamp loses horribly to Rayquaza/Bronzong, which is pretty much the strongest deck in the format.

Anything that takes 3 energy attachments to function is too slow. I hate to break it to you, but Machamp loses horribly to Rayquaza/Bronzong, which is pretty much the strongest deck in the format.

Yeah I was comparing Machamp to Primal Groudon not M-Rayquaza -__- I'm not trying to convince anyone Machamp EX will be the best ever

Anything that takes 3 Energy attachments is not necessarily too slow. Machamp can hit strong early on, which is a primary ability that Machamp has that little others do.

Machamp can easily set up in two turns with the new AOR cards.

Even waiting to set up three attachments is ok because strong energy adds a bonus too, therefore making the damage output even more worth the time. Also Machamp is a basic so the only set up it even needs is energy.

Back