JustInBasil

Grass-Type Gym Leader
News Staff
Old Helix Fossil was revealed from Pokemon Card 151! As noted before, the set will release in Japan on June 16th. We expect to it release internationally as a special set this fall.
Old Helix Fossil – Trainer
Item
Play this card as if it were a 60-HP [C] Basic Pokémon. At any time during your turn, you may discard this card from play.
This card can’t retreat and can’t be affected by any Special Conditions.
Ability: Sea Swell
As long as this Pokémon is in the Active Spot, your opponent can’t play any Stadium cards from their hand.
Additionally, a better-quality image of Old Amber Fossil was revealed...

Continue reading...

Yaginku

H-on Will Save Pokemon
This one is probably the best Fossil in terms of Ability, but the Oma line that evolves from it isn't too exciting.
There fossils would be much more exciting if they somehow transferred their Abilities to the Pokemon they evolve into. Like, who cares your 60HP Fossil takes 30 less damage from attacks, or is immune to Abilities? It feels like this was the case at some point in their design, especially with the "Evolves Into" reminder.

Sneekx

King of the Rekt Ones.
For me, the names of these new fossil cards raises an interesting question: How does rare candy interact with these with regard to Unidentified Fossil being the generic version? It makes sense that this set's Omanyte would only be able to evolve from the Old Helix Fossil, but could a player rare candy into Omastar from either fossil? I think that would have some interesting implications if there ever were a strong Omastar or an Omastar ex of some sort. It could be like having eight basic pokémon for the stage two line. Also interesting implications for GLC if there are more fossil items for each fossil pokémon.

Yaginku

H-on Will Save Pokemon
For me, the names of these new fossil cards raises an interesting question: How does rare candy interact with these with regard to Unidentified Fossil being the generic version? It makes sense that this set's Omanyte would only be able to evolve from the Old Helix Fossil, but could a player rare candy into Omastar from either fossil? I think that would have some interesting implications if there ever were a strong Omastar or an Omastar ex of some sort. It could be like having eight basic pokémon for the stage two line. Also interesting implications for GLC if there are more fossil items for each fossil pokémon.
There is currently no confirmation that these evolve into any version, not just the ones that specifically list them.
However, it is worth noting that this better-quality version of Old Amber Fossil specifies that it evolves into Aerodactyl AND Aerodactyl ex.

leetic

Aspiring Trainer
You can Rare Candy any Omastar onto this fossil (besides Fates Collide Omastar, as it's a stage 1 Pokémon), as they can evolve from any Omanyte. Buried Fossil from Skyridge works the same way.

leetic

Aspiring Trainer
Buried Fossil explicitly states that Pokemon that evolve from it actually evolve from Mysterious Fossil. These fossils have no such wording.
It works the same way, as any Stage 2 Omastar can evolve from an Omanyte that specifically evolves from Old Helix Fossil, just like they can evolve from an Omanyte that specifically evolves from Mysterious Fossil.

fleshrum

Cephalophore
they should've done the same thing they do with the standard supporters. FOSSIL (Old Amber) and make it so all fossil pokemon can evolve from "a fossil." Even if they named it "Unidentified Fossil" with the subheading, it is fudging inexcusable that designs for a game this old and established are so shoddy.