beatbox2000

Aspiring Trainer
So Pokemon day has been a bit of a bummer for me, there was no Let's Go sequel, and this too was a mixed bag.

This assumes that the product is the thing in question as the celebration of bringing back the Abra line; however, even without this I got issues.

Firstly, this is a pimped up nostalgia version of the Battle Academy, which looks amazing in it's layout but why older cards etc? Older cards to me are a collectable thing, not playable. I might be the only one to think this mind you but, it doesn't functional exactly like Battle Academy wherein it teaches you how to play more recent types of cards. I also hope that unlike Battle Academy, the deck boxes are designed to fit all cards sleeved, because this is an issue currently because no one wants to deal with raw cards when playing.

See, when I thought about the 151 Pokemon TCG thing, I was thinking of two paths going forward. Either proper authentic unlimited reprints of base set, followed by the other older sets; or, a new take on the old cards using modern card designs.

If this turns out to be the celebration of the return (and I hope it's not), then that is sad.

If it isn't, it's still a VERY expensive product for what it ultimately is. But maybe it will be printed to buggery like the Charizard UPC and see price drops due to availability. This ain't MTG levels of stupidity, but it is 1/4 of the way there.

What are you talking about? That's a different product.

And it's certainly not going to be a reprint of old sets. We already know of Alakazam and Wigglytuff ex. Having all 151 in 1 set is a gimmick in of itself since it has not been done before.

Snowy Lilacs

Aspiring Trainer
Then what would be a good price for it? I think it is a good price for the premium products.
at least $100. FFS there is no booster packs included and if there where it'd need to be at least 50 of them. $250 is insane for something you can't actually play legally and all for some extra sparkly re-re-re-re-re-re-reprinted cards. And don't forget we will see them all again in 3 years for the 30th anniversary!

Chimecho3000

Aspiring Trainer
I honestly don't see the point of not giving these cards regulation markers, especially for the new ones. So far the new cards are on-par with the current format and the reprints aren't anything that breaks the game (except Comp Search but they could've just errata'd it somehow).

I'm also confused on what the goal is here. It's called "classic", but the inclusion of new, modern cards throws that out the window. I guess what they meant by "timeless" was unlimited format with some new cards made to clumsily bridge the gap and make the old cards playable by today's standards?

I feel like they should've just either printed some Base-Fossil structure decks for a premium nostalgia box, or done an Evolutions-esque collection that adapts cards from all eras to make them feel like they belong in the same format. This is some sort of strange halfway point between the two and it's just. So bizarre.

In the Direct trailer, Rapidash from Astral Radiance could be seen (below). And Rocket's Admin was officially revealed, so the decks do seem to contain cards from multiple eras.

1677578938177.png

Hunga

Oh no! Rotation in sight
Pokemon Company saw the "success" Wizard had with $1000 set of proxies and decided to release a $250 set of proxies.
Granted, this box is way nicer than some packs of unplayable reprints, but it's NOT $250.
Meanwhile, if you want to play Base Set and actually have fun doing it, I have a thread to show you.

Okay, my time to shine as an MTG player! :D
I think this is really NOT the same!

They are not marketing it as a gift to the community to celebrate 30 years of the franchise and then make it inaccessable for about 95% of the community because of really insane prices.
Only targeting whales who are not even playing the game but just investing into it like crypto-bros or stockmarket brokers.
Also a big issue was that many people have been HOPING for reprints and getting access to certain cards really needed to keep certain formats alive that are dying thanks to prices spiking and just reaching absurd levels (talking about 500-600$ for a single card and you need 4 of them...)

This costs 300$ for 180 cards, deck boxes, play mat, counters and stuff.
Four M30 packs were 999$ for 60 cards and you got nothing else, just 60 random cards worth not even the paper they've been printed on for 55 of them at least I'd say.
Also the price is really lower and offers eveything at once. You are not really gambling to get item X or card X.

The M30 product also had the issue that you couldn't even afford to draft or play sealed with them. So even in a vaccum none could use them with each other.
A single draft or sealed would be at 750$ or 1500$ ea. and after that you got the cards/pool and... Yeah, that's it.
This costs one person 300$ and they can play with friends and if you don't want to use the cards you still got some solid game acessories.

So no, this might feel a bit greedy but I think it is fine as it is.
You get something you can skip and not something really that everyone was hoping for but isn't unsable at all.

MagnaDrake

Aspiring Trainer
Okay, my time to shine as an MTG player! :D
I think this is really NOT the same!

They are not marketing it as a gift to the community to celebrate 30 years of the franchise and then make it inaccessable for about 95% of the community because of really insane prices.
Only targeting whales who are not even playing the game but just investing into it like crypto-bros or stockmarket brokers.
Also a big issue was that many people have been HOPING for reprints and getting access to certain cards really needed to keep certain formats alive that are dying thanks to prices spiking and just reaching absurd levels (talking about 500-600$ for a single card and you need 4 of them...)

This costs 300$ for 180 cards, deck boxes, play mat, counters and stuff.
Four M30 packs were 999$ for 60 cards and you got nothing else, just 60 random cards worth not even the paper they've been printed on for 55 of them at least I'd say.
Also the price is really lower and offers eveything at once. You are not really gambling to get item X or card X.

The M30 product also had the issue that you couldn't even afford to draft or play sealed with them. So even in a vaccum none could use them with each other.
A single draft or sealed would be at 750$ or 1500$ ea. and after that you got the cards/pool and... Yeah, that's it.
This costs one person 300$ and they can play with friends and if you don't want to use the cards you still got some solid game acessories.

So no, this might feel a bit greedy but I think it is fine as it is.
You get something you can skip and not something really that everyone was hoping for but isn't unsable at all.
True. If anything, this is a premium (or overpriced) board game set.

RedTheRoyal

Aspiring Trainer
In the Direct trailer, Rapidash from Astral Radiance could be seen (below). And Rocket's Admin was officially revealed, so the decks do seem to contain cards from multiple eras.

View attachment 17385
Right, but are they adjusted at all to feel like they belong in the same format? Like it's cool they're pulling from every era but putting all those cards into the same deck doesn't make for a cohesive product imo, *especially* when they're creating new-but-not-standard-legal cards just to make things work.

powellnf

Aspiring Trainer
Advanced Member
I couldn't be more excited by this set unless the decks included only Base set Jungle set and Fossil set pokemon cards, but even with the EX cards and the new pokemon tools etc this is something I'm absolutely going to pick up if at all possible.

This isn't marketed for the average PTCG enjoyer who is playing competitively or semi competitively, or even in expanded or other formats - but who primarily care about modern cards and playstyles and are worried about legality of tournament play.

This is for people like me who are in our mid to late 30s with kids who used to play the game a lot in the 90s and 00s and who have a nostalgia and a love for pokemon to this day, but who can't be chasing packs to stay up to date with current tournament play because of life and responsibilities.

This is something I can buy and set on my coffee table as a conversation piece, a game I can play with my elementary school aged kids, that I can whip out and play with my nephews or even just my sisters/brothers in law sitting around chatting during the holidays the way you'd play monopoly or chess or scrabble.

I'm instantly reminded of my parents having a big fancy 25th anniversary scrabble set that was huge and heavy, and as a kid I always thought it was weird when the cheaper plastic set was sufficient. As an adult I get it. Having the fancier nicer premium copy of the thing makes you want to play it more, to show it to people, to make it last longer, to make sharing a game you enjoy or even love with others an even more special experience.

So yeah I'm stoked, this is for me, and I'll buy it the first chance I have. If you don't know who this is for that's OK, not everything has to be for you for it to be worthwhile.

Porygonbail

Aspiring Trainer
Still overpriced, considering a professional Pokerset costs 200$
And thats seemingly the vibes they where going with here.
The whole add tried SO HARD to make this game look like Blackjack 2.0
It tries to look so sophisticated I could not take it seriously.

powellnf

Aspiring Trainer
Advanced Member
Yeah likely paying the Brand Tax for sure, its also true that there's far more competition in the poker space for a premium product. Nobody else can make this set, however.

Jaxolotl

The Mashup King. https://www.youtube.com/@Jaxolotl
You're God, can't you make the set for us? Also, include all of Rocket's gym pokemon tcg, too. Thanks.
bruh Im pretty sure God doesn't give a crap about little monsters. Especially since the theory of creation in pokemon is VASTLY different from the reality that God created the world. Not some white deer