Water Pokémon Master

I like Pokemon more than you! :p
Webmaster
Elite Member
Advanced Member
We’ve now learned the special SWSH set will release in America and Europe on January 20th. We still don’t know its name yet.
Like all special sets, it’ll see the release of a special Elite Trainer Box containing 10 booster packs and a promo card. It’ll also see the release of a V Box. This is only the first batch of products we’ve learned about; there will surely be more.
As posted in July, the set is code-named SWSH12.5. It’ll be a “mishmash” set containing unreleased cards and promos from recent Japanese releases and Japan’s VSTAR Universe, which releases in December. We already have a...

Continue reading...

DMYSYS

Aspiring Trainer
I'm going to take this as an opportunity to ask about this – and no offense taken if the post is deleted.

I generally support WPM's decision to not report on leaks attained via stolen property, but it's going to be an awkward few months for commenting on this site. I'll do what I can to pretend to not know what I know but uhhhh at some point WPM unless you personally have a good relationship with TPC it's an awkward situation to try and maintain for this long, particularly when this happens so often. I've been visiting Pokébeach for years and years, and I trust your judgment and whatnot, but the regularity with which these leaks have been occurring over the last few months is becoming ridiculous and I would not fault you for reporting on the information they provide. I think we're really through the looking glass this time, so I hope there is a benefit for you in continuing to not report on these leaks.

I do want to bring something up though, though, that maybe helps the situation for those who want to talk about them – the partial list we got for SWSH12 back in July that was reported on here listed Pincurchin as #56 in the set. Without talking about the photos of leaks I've seen in detail*, they don't match up with this information. Of course, odds are decent that information provided in July for a non-finalized set could shift between then and October, but that also suggests the sets could still shift between now and the actual release. It might be good for those wishing to discuss the upcoming sets and the leaked information to bear in mind that we don't know with certainty that the information in the leaks is 100% reflective of what we'll receive as the final product.

* I will not be acting as a source for this information if WPM will not be reporting on it. Like I said, I've been visiting Pokébeach for years, and have no interest in giving anyone the "scoop" before WPM does. Respectfully, please do not ask or DM me.

Frost

Ice/Fairy Stan Account
I'm guessing Pincurchin #56 was just supposed to be in SWSH12.5 rather than Silver Tempest. The numbering that we know about 12.5 doesn't put this out of realm of possibility.

o7yourdesires

Aspiring Trainer
I'm going to take this as an opportunity to ask about this – and no offense taken if the post is deleted.

I generally support WPM's decision to not report on leaks attained via stolen property, but it's going to be an awkward few months for commenting on this site. I'll do what I can to pretend to not know what I know but uhhhh at some point WPM unless you personally have a good relationship with TPC it's an awkward situation to try and maintain for this long, particularly when this happens so often. I've been visiting Pokébeach for years and years, and I trust your judgment and whatnot, but the regularity with which these leaks have been occurring over the last few months is becoming ridiculous and I would not fault you for reporting on the information they provide. I think we're really through the looking glass this time, so I hope there is a benefit for you in continuing to not report on these leaks.

I do want to bring something up though, though, that maybe helps the situation for those who want to talk about them – the partial list we got for SWSH12 back in July that was reported on here listed Pincurchin as #56 in the set. Without talking about the photos of leaks I've seen in detail*, they don't match up with this information. Of course, odds are decent that information provided in July for a non-finalized set could shift between then and October, but that also suggests the sets could still shift between now and the actual release. It might be good for those wishing to discuss the upcoming sets and the leaked information to bear in mind that we don't know with certainty that the information in the leaks is 100% reflective of what we'll receive as the final product.

* I will not be acting as a source for this information if WPM will not be reporting on it. Like I said, I've been visiting Pokébeach for years, and have no interest in giving anyone the "scoop" before WPM does. Respectfully, please do not ask or DM me.
Aren’t sets not printed months in advance. Like our special set is what’s now on the print run. More so having watched the “how cards are made video” the set list is one of the first things that’s done way before printing. So a set list could be done 4,5,6 months in advance. Interesting that this may have changed though.

TrainerSkitz

Aspiring Trainer
While I respect WPM as a business not reporting on the ill-obtained leaks, I come to this site for the early information but I'll end up going elsewhere that does report 'everything'.
Same thing happened with serebii, once you stop reporting all information you're not providing the best service. It's rough

cruithear

Aspiring Trainer
While I respect WPM as a business not reporting on the ill-obtained leaks, I come to this site for the early information but I'll end up going elsewhere that does report 'everything'.
Same thing happened with serebii, once you stop reporting all information you're not providing the best service. It's rough
Why though? What do you gain knowing the leaked info SUPER early? It won't affect the current meta, and the meta shifts so rapidly that having months in advance info isn't going to be valuable.

I'm not even trying to say you're wrong, I'm just curious what you feel the value is?

Chimecho3000

Aspiring Trainer
I do want to bring something up though, though, that maybe helps the situation for those who want to talk about them – the partial list we got for SWSH12 back in July that was reported on here listed Pincurchin as #56 in the set. Without talking about the photos of leaks I've seen in detail*, they don't match up with this information. Of course, odds are decent that information provided in July for a non-finalized set could sshift like y earlbetween then and October, but that also suggests the sets could still shift between now and the actual release. It might be good for those wishing to discuss the upcoming sets and the leaked information to bear in mind that we don't know with certainty that the information in the leaks is 100% reflective of what we'll receive as the final product.

Probably an error, just like how the special sets lists Metang as #89 and Absol as #90. Clearly something wrong there. Pincurchin is most likely in the special set (I did originally find it slightly odd that it was separated from the Girafarig).

Da idiot

arceus' 1000'th arm
it helps with playtesting in advance and maybe new cards gets released that invalidates your testing, but a lot of the time it is not.

plus it is just nice to know as much as possible
Why though? What do you gain knowing the leaked info SUPER early? It won't affect the current meta, and the meta shifts so rapidly that having months in advance info isn't going to be valuable.

I'm not even trying to say you're wrong, I'm just curious what you feel the value is?

leonardojosv

Aspiring Trainer
it helps with playtesting in advance and maybe new cards gets released that invalidates your testing, but a lot of the time it is not.

plus it is just nice to know as much as possible
The people with access to cards THIS eary before a set releases are not getting access to them to playtest, they are making a profit off of them and scalping them to people that want them early. Pretty sure the Silver Tempest leaker stole his lot.

DMYSYS

Aspiring Trainer
Pretty sure the Silver Tempest leaker stole his lot.
Almost definitely, and I think that's traditionally been why WPM hasn't reported on it, and probably why he isn't reporting on it this time either. My concern is that this keeps happening – WPM might care about this more than TPC or Millenium Print Group do, who at this point might be considering it as an "unavoidable loss" and just factor it in as a cost/consequence of the business, vs. doing whatever it is that's necessary to stop this from happening on a recurring basis. (If they don't care, why do we? Why would Pokébeach risk losing its audience over something that the companies don't seem to consider a big deal?)

This isn't the first time WPM has been behind other TCG reporting sites for not electing to report on these leaks, and for the most part it's been easy to handle the situation as it's just a handful of cards that become known, and they've almost always been cards that Pokébeach's already knew about, in one way or another, from the site's reporting on JP news.

This is more than a handful of cards, includes cards we don't know about from JP news yet, and is not an isolated incident. I'm not going to directly commentate on what this could mean for the site – "you are going to lose visitors!" can sound like a threat/blackmail where none is intended – but it's a silly situation and I don't know why we have to pretend we don't know what we already know. Like, genuinely, this is territory where it would be perfectly reasonable for TPC to reach out to WPM to and offer him a Willy Wonka-style tour of the factory and a first peek at the Gen 9 sets in exchange for staying quiet on these leaks – if this is something they don't want to be reported on, they shouldn't just count on his good graces.

n.b. WPM could have some special relationship with TPC and/or MPG – after running an almost-always up-to-date TCG site for almost 20? years that seems more plausible than not – but be subject to an NDA on the matter. So he might not be able to provide an answer. What I'm saying is that I hope that is the reason we're not seeing reports on the information, because if it's not, it behooves TPC and/or MPG to make that the reason.

Last edited:

Nirvanna21

Mew.
For me, the only reason I care for upcoming information is so that I can make informed decisions on how I approach my purchases. If product I want doesn't have something I care for, I won't bother with it, or if it only has a couple of things, I would skip it and opt for singles etc.

As long as the information provided is both credible and before the official release date, then it's fine by me. It's why I don't bother paying attention to anything outside of Pokebeach. So for all intensive purposes, I prefer their current approach regardless of the reason.

ChiefLittleFish

Given Up on Collecting the TCG
n.b. WPM could have some special relationship with TPC and/or MPG – after running an almost-always up-to-date TCG site for almost 20? years that seems more plausible than not – but be subject to an NDA on the matter. So he might not be able to provide an answer. What I'm saying is that I hope that is the reason we're not seeing reports on the information, because if it's not, it behooves TPC and/or MPG to make that the reason.
I think it was around the time before BW was released (the video games) that WPM and many other major sites posted about leaked spoilers on the storyline and such, and TPCI/Nintendo came down on them all. You'll notice many of these sites no longer post too much about these unverified/unofficial type news stories. Some sites have had additional isolated instances, and though most of those are in the past, it's probably better to be safe than sorry now.

PokeBeach is one of the leading Pokemon news sites out there, and I would rather not see that changed due to posting information from questionable sources (whether the source itself, or how they got the information), some of which cannot be substantiated at the time. Even if all the other sites are posting on it, doesn't mean we should. I would rather have quality information than early information (this isn't Early Edition, nobody will be saved by having the news sooner). And just because we don't hear anything further about the people responsible for the leaks does not mean TPCI/MPG is doing nothing in response.

DMYSYS

Aspiring Trainer
I think it was around the time before BW was released (the video games) that WPM and many other major sites posted about leaked spoilers on the storyline and such, and TPCI/Nintendo came down on them all. You'll notice many of these sites no longer post too much about these unverified/unofficial type news stories.
If we're thinking of the same thing, that wasn't the same situation. Certain sites were reporting on leaked copies of BW they were playing on emulators, and gave themselves away when they reported on certain anti-piracy features built into the game – e.g. reporting lack of experience gain as a "tutorial mode" rather than the game detecting it was being played on an emulator.

If it's not quite that and closer to what you're saying, then Nintendo and TPC were bluffing. There would be no coherent reason the sites couldn't report on leaked details – it's certainly not true that I no longer see sites report on unverified rumors about Pokémon games, I've seen a fair amount of sites report on leaks that have been posted to 4chan regarding games in the 3DS and Switch era.

If a site isn't helping to coordinate the initial theft there would be nothing TPC/Nintendo could really do. Rather, I think a similar-ish situation, would be when an Apple engineer forgot an iPhone prototype at a bar in 2010. A lot of gadget news sites decided to not report on it because they knew if they did, Apple would stop sending them personal invitations to their product reveal presentations. The ones that did didn't get invitations anymore. There was no stick Apple could brandish to keep people from reporting on things they're perfectly entitled to report on. Rather, their existing good relationship with these sites was what kept most of them from reporting on it.

Seng vang

Svang20

You say it as a leak will cause pokemon millions of dollars. Many fans are excited for any news of upcoming, pokemon also can change anything in the set. They can claim it'll be in this set but can cut them out and use them as promo or not what not.

DMYSYS

Aspiring Trainer
You say it as a leak will cause pokemon millions of dollars. Many fans are excited for any news of upcoming, pokemon also can change anything in the set. They can claim it'll be in this set but can cut them out and use them as promo or not what not.
I'm saying the opposite. If the company doesn't care enough to stop the leak, it must not matter to them. So just report on leaks.

Da idiot

arceus' 1000'th arm
The people with access to cards THIS eary before a set releases are not getting access to them to playtest, they are making a profit off of them and scalping them to people that want them early. Pretty sure the Silver Tempest leaker stole his lot.
Most definetly probable that they are stealing, but a lot of the people on these sites will use the information gattered to playtest ahead of times

I think you missunderstood what I meant