dineinunes

Buzzwole Appreciation Account
Just another thing I noticed on the region map: in the top right corner, there’s definitely still land as it’s possible to see the cliffs under the clouds covering it. It wouldn’t surprise me if the clouds were strategically placed there to cover a third version/DLC area
If we're going by real world maps that would be the border of Paldea and Kalos.

Diego Lima

Aspiring Trainer
I'm honestly weirded out by how little people in general seem to be upset with this. It's the single most stupid, lazy thing Pokémon has ever put out. Not only is it butt-ugly, it's all the same, they literally just chose an object for each type, and ANY pokémon in the game will have the exact same thing on its head for that type. It's mind boggling, really. The only thing that I can imagine could be blamed for this is the spiral of silence typical of corporate enviroments. Some hotshot high up must have come up with that, and everyone was just too scared of just going like "yeah...that's the single most stupid idea I have ever heard", so everyone just danced to the music and we ended up with this.

PartTimeTCGCollector

Aspiring Trainer
In conclusion, the new mechanic for the TCG is TX. And people are just going to love and accept it. HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!! Such an idiotic idea, making pokemon wear gigantic, ugly crown with jewels (or in the case of fuecoco a chandelier) all while making the pokemon somewhat pixelated. Imagine the TCG, the commons, uncommons, and rare/holo will be the sought after. Finally, the inferior rarity will get more love.

Last edited:

coolcorsola

Aspiring Trainer
I'm honestly weirded out by how little people in general seem to be upset with this. It's the single most stupid, lazy thing Pokémon has ever put out. Not only is it butt-ugly, it's all the same, they literally just chose an object for each type, and ANY pokémon in the game will have the exact same thing on its head for that type. It's mind boggling, really. The only thing that I can imagine could be blamed for this is the spiral of silence typical of corporate enviroments. Some hotshot high up must have come up with that, and everyone was just too scared of just going like "yeah...that's the single most stupid idea I have ever heard", so everyone just danced to the music and we ended up with this.
I mean, it’s not that awful. You could say the same about dynamax where every Pokémon just gets bigger with the red cloud above them. I think it’s tough for them to give each Pokémon a unique look. It works fine. I do think some look a bit weirder than others, but overall it’s the theme they’re going with. I’m sure there will be crystal Pokemon with unique forms like gigantamax or Mega Evolutions.

Skeleton Liar

サーナ~
I'm not referring to cart size. Bigger game = more work = less time to add Pokemon. That's what they'll say. If they were willing to not release any more games this gen they could add the rest via DLC, but sadly that's not how it works, and they have to start working on Gen 10 as soon as possible since Nintendo's next console is probably going to be 4k-ready.
How did they not have time to add them in SwSh when the wire frames for the Gen 1-7 models were identical to the ones in the 3DS games, aside from a small handful that had a few changes? This has been proven. It's statistically impossible for one very complex wire frame to be created and be 100% identical to a previously created one. And yet this is the case for hundreds of models. Reusing these models was absolutely expected and was a great idea. And as much as I prefer sprites to 3D models, Game Freak was very smart to make all of those 3D models in order to futureproof the series. Why do people still act like the work wasn't done years ago?

Also, if time somehow WAS the issue, with as many Pokemon that are available on ALL of the Switch games by now--all using the same models--how is most, if not all, of the work not already done? Again, they are not remaking every previous Pokemon model from scratch for every new game. That would be stupid. So in Scarlet and Violet, what excuse is there when the work is done and additional content can be added?

And I brought up cart sizes because that was the issue with BDSP if you don't patch them right away. They were shipped on a cart that was too small for the full game, even though larger cart sizes are available, because that was cheaper. So you have to download a patch first in order for these games to not be a broken mess. Edit: Looking into this further, the smaller cart size to cut costs is fan speculation in a desperate attempt to understand why these games were shipped in an incomplete state. We still don't know. So if that's the case, the file size of the games can't be the excuse to not have every Pokemon, and not having enough time because a lot of work went into making a big game can't be the excuse when the models have been done for years.

Last edited:

Diego Lima

Aspiring Trainer
I mean, it’s not that awful. You could say the same about dynamax where every Pokémon just gets bigger with the red cloud above them. I think it’s tough for them to give each Pokémon a unique look. It works fine. I do think some look a bit weirder than others, but overall it’s the theme they’re going with. I’m sure there will be crystal Pokemon with unique forms like gigantamax or Mega Evolutions.
That's only the case for the TCG though, where they just took pokémon that didn't have forms in the games and made them big with clouds for it to appear as a card with the same mechanic as the others. For the actual game they all had unique designs, with the clouds just being a unifying visual identity. This is completely different, there is no "design" here, they literally just stuck the same objects on every pokémon's heads and made them crystal. Maybe, and I'm playing Devil's advocate here, they wanted the mechanic to work on every pokémon, as to avoid the meta getting stale by only having a few species having the hot new stuff, but if that was the case, then by all means, give me the stalest meta possible if that means not having the single worst visual design decision ever made.

coolcorsola

Aspiring Trainer
That's only the case for the TCG though, where they just took pokémon that didn't have forms in the games and made them big with clouds for it to appear as a card with the same mechanic as the others. For the actual game they all had unique designs, with the clouds just being a unifying visual identity. This is completely different, there is no "design" here, they literally just stuck the same objects on every pokémon's heads and made them crystal. Maybe, and I'm playing Devil's advocate here, they wanted the mechanic to work on every pokémon, as to avoid the meta getting stale by only having a few species having the hot new stuff, but if that was the case, then by all means, give me the stalest meta possible if that means not having the single worst visual design decision ever made.
But that’s also the case in the games. Every Pokémon can dynamax and get big in Sw/Sh. And not all of them have unique designs. Only a few have that and that’s called their g-max forms. Not just unique to the tcg, they all could get big and had the red clouds appear. It’s the same with this new crystal mechanic. Instead of allowing only a few to get a unique crystal form, some will get a unique form but all can use the mechanic. That’s on purpose so the battle system is more interesting instead of only having a handful that can do it.

Diego Lima

Aspiring Trainer
But that’s also the case in the games. Every Pokémon can dynamax and get big in Sw/Sh. And not all of them have unique designs. Only a few have that and that’s called their g-max forms. Not just unique to the tcg, they all could get big and had the red clouds appear. It’s the same with this new crystal mechanic. Instead of allowing only a few to get a unique crystal form, some will get a unique form but all can use the mechanic. That’s on purpose so the battle system is more interesting instead of only having a handful that can do it.
Huh, I thought it was only a solution for the TCG, somehow I managed to never have seen an image of a screenshot of the game with the big ones that weren't the g-maxes. Anyhow, even if that ends up being the same for this, I doubt the actual whatever forms they end up having will be any less of an eyesore than the ones already shown. I'm sorry, I know stuff is subjective and all, but this is imo indefensible, the design is stupid and horrendous to look at.

Skeleton Liar

サーナ~
I don't care for these silly looking things growing out of their heads either. But given the fact that this bizarre direction is what they're going with, the reason why they use the same objects is to make it visually identifiable for which type they are, which is useful if it's a different type than usual. Case and point when they showed the raid battle in the presentation. They had already shown and pointed out what a Water type terastal Pokemon looked like. When they showed the Gardevoir raid, they did not say it was Water type, but I understood that it was Water based on the color and design. Same for when the player characters tera-whatever'd and became Grass types.

Diego Lima

Aspiring Trainer
I don't care for these silly looking things growing out of their heads either. But given the fact that this bizarre direction is what they're going with, the reason why they use the same objects is to make it visually identifiable for which type they are, which is useful if it's a different type than usual. Case and point when they showed the raid battle in the presentation. They had already shown and pointed out what a Water type terastal Pokemon looked like. When they showed the Gardevoir raid, they did not say it was Water type, but I understood that it was Water based on the color and design. Same for when the player characters tera-whatever'd and became Grass types.

Yeah, like I said later, the only reason I can think of that could mildly justify that is a practical one like that. But even then, they could've made it literally anything else to make the type equally identifiable and it would've been better than...this.

Diego Lima

Aspiring Trainer
Besides, that's not how game design should work. If the only solution to a mechanical problem you have now is making the game look absolutely god-awful looking, then that's not a good solution, do something else and return to the idea in later games when you do have a better solution to the problem.

Skeleton Liar

サーナ~
Yeah, like I said later, the only reason I can think of that could mildly justify that is a practical one like that. But even then, they could've made it literally anything else to make the type equally identifiable and it would've been better than...this.
Yeah, it's for the sake of being universally recognizable and understandable. But it just... doesn't look good.

Mimikeon

Aspiring Trainer
How did they not have time to add them in SwSh when the wire frames for the Gen 1-7 models were identical to the ones in the 3DS games, aside from a small handful that had a few changes? This has been proven. It's statistically impossible for one very complex wire frame to be created and be 100% identical to a previously created one. And yet this is the case for hundreds of models. Reusing these models was absolutely expected and was a great idea. And as much as I prefer sprites to 3D models, Game Freak was very smart to make all of those 3D models in order to futureproof the series. Why do people still act like the work wasn't done years ago?

Also, if time somehow WAS the issue, with as many Pokemon that are available on ALL of the Switch games by now--all using the same models--how is most, if not all, of the work not already done? Again, they are not remaking every previous Pokemon model from scratch for every new game. That would be stupid. So in Scarlet and Violet, what excuse is there when the work is done and additional content can be added?

And I brought up cart sizes because that was the issue with BDSP if you don't patch them right away. They were shipped on a cart that was too small for the full game, even though larger cart sizes are available, because that was cheaper. So you have to download a patch first in order for these games to not be a broken mess. So if that's the case, the file size of the games can't be the excuse to not have every Pokemon, and not having enough time because a lot of work went into making a big game can't be the excuse when the models have been done for years.
They still had to rig the models, which was apparently more challenging than you'd expect based on what some modders have said, add textures, create movesets, in some cases add additional animations... It's not necessarily free, and if it were they would have just done it rather than deal with the expected backlash.

And they're adding bump mapping and higher resolution textures to pretty much all of the Pokemon models in the game. They might have new animations too. You seriously seem as if you believe that GF are just doing this to spite fans.

And source on the BDSP claim, please.

dineinunes

Buzzwole Appreciation Account
I thought it was only a solution for the TCG, somehow I managed to never have seen an image of a screenshot of the game with the big ones that weren't the g-maxes.
So you're just saying shit without knowledge of the games?

HershelLayton

Aspiring Trainer
I remember when gen 8 was getting revealed, I thought checking out social media made me criticize it way too much before launch.

In hindsight, it was pretty disappointing. I watched the gen 9 trailer and am pretty interested in what I've seen so far. There are things to criticize, but goodness this is way less of a shitshow than gen 8 so far based off first reveals. I wonder if some longer gameplay will change that, however.

Keraunos

Aspiring Trainer
Well, I mean they just revealed it. I believe it’s a little early to judge, we only have small info. Though, I’m curious to see if all Pokémon get “crownlike” when the new mechanic kicked in. I hope not.

Honestly, I’m a little surprised that hardly anyone mentioned about the big circle of doom in the center.

PS: Legendaries are now our HM slaves.

Last edited:

montoya.c

Aspiring Trainer
I’m assuming that each type will have its own design, so Fire will get the chandelier, while Leaf will get the flowers, etc. It makes sense. Personally it doesn’t bother me too much, but this simply doesn’t have the “cool” factor that Mega Evolution, and even Gigantimax Pokemon, brought to the franchise. Rather than give Pokemon new designs they decided to make them all crystallized and add funny hats. Idk.

I’m just hoping that the rumored past/future Pokemon mechanic I keep hearing about makes up for the lack of creativity (subjective). I swear, sometimes I feel like they forget that their fanbase isn’t simply children.

Last edited:

Diego Lima

Aspiring Trainer
So you're just saying shit without knowledge of the games?
On that instance, apparently I was, big deal, still doesn't change anything that was being discussed at that point, as so far it's only speculation that this time around it will be like it was (unbeknownst to me) for the last gimmick, with them having a more standard thing they use for the majority of mons and a few special ones that only a few will get. I mean, you can see Dragonite in the trailer with the bloody thing on its head, I think that if any mon would have the special version of the mechanic he would be one of them, right? But then again, at this point until more stuff comes out they might as well have a second mechanic unrevealed where pokémon have eye patches and a wooden leg, so I can't really rule it out yet.