WillyCharizard

Aspiring Trainer
Sad they are getting rid of current theme decks. I love all the updates but why mess with things that were perfect before?
Its not perfect since they stopped the production of theme decks, so the meta its already boring with no way to change at all, this will refresh things a lot and hopefully they will add further decks on the future and would they be more balanced rather than having 3 with so many advantage over the rest

Mimikeon

Aspiring Trainer
It's not just here, it's all over. It's insanity. Arceus forbid anything change and TPCI actually move forward with a new online client. If it's not the same bug-ridden clump of spaghetti code that is PTCGO, it's the devil, apparently.
To be fair, it's partially TPCi's fault for leaving out vital information, though the information they did give is being lied about and twisted...
It is not an updated client that’s the problem, and I would think that much is abundantly clear - it’s everything surrounding it. That everything needs to be like Hearthstone or Arena now, or perish. That we are getting admittedly inferior functionality for some 3D models and a lesser card pool in a game all about cards. If you think that’s all fine and dandy I really don’t know what else to say. I’ve been playing different card games online long enough to see the writing on the wall, here. I don’t care about anything they are adding or “improving”, but I sure do care about a lot of what is being removed. I also care about predatory economies involving battle passes, premium currencies, and crafting systems no one wanted or asked for, and if you did want or ask for it, well, maybe I’m better off gone like I said.
Then stick to fan sims I guess. Honestly, I think it's maybe even a good thing that this could bolster those.

... Actually, maybe the anger is a good thing then. Imagine a PTCG equivalent of Dueling Book or YGO Pro that's actually popular...

Diego Lima

Aspiring Trainer
To be fair, it's partially TPCi's fault for leaving out vital information, though the information they did give is being lied about and twisted...

Then stick to fan sims I guess. Honestly, I think it's maybe even a good thing that this could bolster those.

... Actually, maybe the anger is a good thing then. Imagine a PTCG equivalent of Dueling Book or YGO Pro that's actually popular...

I play MtG on Cockatrice, if I found any program that was just as easy to setup and play but for Pokémon I would go for that immediately.

fleshrum

Cephalophore
Other than these two things, there's absolutely nothing that should be upsetting about this update.
Except one of two things you mention is
HGSS removal? Unfortunate at best, terrible at worst. Will definitely hurt feelings and ruin some collections (rip COL energies). rip my collection of all 2011/2012 max rarity tournament winning decks. It's whatever. Could be even worse if they announce that vivid boxes/sleeves are not transferring. If I had to guess, I'd say they probably aren't, but let's leave that alone for now. This should not be a dealbreaker.
This is absolutely a dealbreaker. At best we're looking at the elimination of the longest lasting non-rotating format. Literally hundreds of dollars and thousands of hours spent getting the official products in the official client only for them to disappear. Yes I have them irl, yes I play on tcgone. Doesn't matter. This decision is absolute dogshit, not only on its face, but for the precedent it sets for future releases.

Last edited:

Pikachuisunderrated

Aspiring Trainer
Its not perfect since they stopped the production of theme decks, so the meta its already boring with no way to change at all, this will refresh things a lot and hopefully they will add further decks on the future and would they be more balanced rather than having 3 with so many advantage over the rest
Good point, I will miss my relentless flame deck - 50%+ chance of winning but it is for the best. Now I need to make a standard deck for the first time in my life *gulp*

signofzeta

Aspiring Trainer
I read that PTCG live will "forget" the decklists that you made in PTCGO, so does it mean that the Theme Deck decklists will also be forgotten?

Let's say I bought a Theme Deck in PTCGO, and the transfer happens. Will I still get the Theme Deck as a deck, or is it just 60 cards that transfer over, without having it being recognized as a deck?

Mimikeon

Aspiring Trainer
I read that PTCG live will "forget" the decklists that you made in PTCGO, so does it mean that the Theme Deck decklists will also be forgotten?

Let's say I bought a Theme Deck in PTCGO, and the transfer happens. Will I still get the Theme Deck as a deck, or is it just 60 cards that transfer over, without having it being recognized as a deck?
There doesn't seem to be a theme deck format or support for theme decks, so you lose the list. The cards are considered part of your collection and count towards your 4 copy per card limit before transfer.

FairyLandAlice

Aspiring Trainer
By the way, I think someone mentioned TCGOne as an alternative, but I don't like that one much. It is a bit... shabby. Is there any other alternative which is at least more good-looking?

In any case, I guess that if a good enough alternative appeared, TPCi would be swiftly eliminating it. Now more than ever.

I'm sad, really. I was slowly beginning to get into tournaments and all. I really enjoyed my time playing this.

signofzeta

Aspiring Trainer
There doesn't seem to be a theme deck format or support for theme decks, so you lose the list. The cards are considered part of your collection and count towards your 4 copy per card limit before transfer.
Looks like I won't be spending my remaining tokens on Theme Decks then.

It also means unused theme deck codes are useless.

Is it better to keep booster packs sealed, or open all of them?

Mimikeon

Aspiring Trainer

The cards from theme decks still get added to your collection, so they're not useless. You don't want to redeem theme deck codes until after launch, though.

As for packs, that's answered in the article.

signofzeta

Aspiring Trainer
Buying theme decks and opening them probably means adding 3 or 4 of something that you already have, which means are going to lose some of those cards in the transfer process because you are only allowed to move over 4 copies. I have 5+ copies of some cards, but they are jank commons. I think I had like 30+ copies of a certain card.

I just bought 5 packs each, and opened them all, of each set from Lost Thunder to Evolving Skies, just to use up all my tokens. I have 145 tokens left. Can't buy any other thing that can be transferred over.

You are supposed to get crystals for the number of unopened items correct? Does the number of items count which ones are theme decks and which ones are booster packs? If the number of items does not count which ones are boosters and which ones are theme decks, then getting Theme Decks with your remaining tokens are totally not worth it. There is no point if the Theme Decks transfer over as 60 cards, and not a deck, and the likelihood of surpassing your 4 of limit of a certain card with a theme decks is high. We also don't know if a sealed theme deck nets you more crystals over sealed booster packs.

Sombres

Aspiring Trainer

I believe you still get the coins anyway (as in, the coin that comes with the deck), plus any cards in them.

Depending on the value of your packs, you can try grabbing stuff you want on trades, and leave the lesser value packs in your collection to turn into crystals.

signofzeta

Aspiring Trainer
I believe you still get the coins anyway (as in, the coin that comes with the deck), plus any cards in them.

Depending on the value of your packs, you can try grabbing stuff you want on trades, and leave the lesser value packs in your collection to turn into crystals.
What I'm saying is, unless you have nothing in your collection, getting a theme deck would mean that you would most likely go over the 4 of limit of a specific card, considering theme decks have multiples of certain cards, so if you already have most of the theme deck without buying the theme deck, it is not worth it to buy the theme deck. It also makes pulling cards that you get 4 of in a theme deck, from booster packs, such a waste. I have a bunch of 5, 6, 7, even 8 ofs in my collection. Turns out those were cards from Theme Decks.

Can you still use a specific theme deck without buying a theme deck in the theme format? For example, let's say I bought a ton of booster packs, or acquired the cards in trade to get all the cards that are in that specific deck. Would that unlock that specific deck for the Theme Format, or do I have to buy that theme deck to unlock it?

I also have a bunch of unused theme deck codes. I don't know what will happen when I try to use them in Pokemon TCG Live. You just don't know how many "draw 3 cards" trainers I accumulated from unlocking only one theme deck per set.