SunneLeone

Aspiring Trainer
Exactly. People are out of their minds. PTCGO is hands down the BEST card game client in the economy department, you can build whatever you want for dirt cheap (again, this coming from someone who lives in a country where my currency is worth less than 1/5 of a us dollar).
I have to wonder if people singing Live’s praises right now have ever experienced any of the other modern tcg clients that have been doing exactly what Live is setting out to do for years - nobody ever defends those, because they know better. Everyone in Pokémon is being happily nickeled and dimed into an admittedly worse product (they are literally telling you all the features that exist currently that will be gone, and it’s a not-insignificant amount) because of a slightly improved coat of paint. I shouldn’t be surprised, but it’s always shocking to see. I am especially disappointed in the content creators and tournament players who are snarkily defending this stuff - they won’t have to grind for anything, no wonder they don’t care about the changes! I have been lulling in and out of this game for the worse part of the last year and a half or so and I think it’s time to just call it quits here. I am happy to be proven wrong, that this client will be wonderful and herald in a new era of digital Pokémon play or whatever, but something tells me I won’t be. Thankfully this world is full of things to enjoy, and I don’t need to keep burdening myself with trying to fit my square peg into this franchise’s round holes all for the sake of brand loyalty or fondness. It’s time to move on.

Diego Lima

Aspiring Trainer
Lots of people in comment sections: "Man, I really feel for the HGSS energies :'( "

I mean, how will they sell you the "HGSS Energies Bundle" down the line if they don't remove them from your collections now, sillies?

Champion_Sheep

Aspiring Trainer
LOL at people unironically thinking that this will somehow be more budget-friendly than the system we currently have.

Let's look at a simple comparison: I want to build a Zacian Inteleon deck. I was missing 4 Crystal Cave, despite opening 50 EVS packs already.
I simply got 4 of these (and 4 of Shopping Center) by putting an EVS pack up to trade. Cheap and I didn't spend time either grinding for extra resources to craft them or God forbid, enough tokens to buy 100 packs and PRAY I got my playset.

Another comparison: I want to build Tapu Koko VMAX. I can either trade 10 packs at the moment and get the entire playset of both the base form AND the VMAX, alongside 4 Voltorb and 4 Electrode. How much time do you think this will take me to setup with the craft and pack opening system compared to simply putting up the trade and in less than 8 hours (of which I don't even have to play) get them????

What people miss out on gacha-based systems like these is that getting a single deck will be easier. Building extra decks? You're screwed. You need to shell out massive amounts of money to get multiple decks and the stuff that now won't be priced by the playerbase, but by TPCi, which has no other purpose other than to get you to SPEND MONEY.

If you think TPCi has your interests at heart, then think about what I wrote and RECONSIDER.
I think they may be a way to exchange for individual cards on a shop, if not there should be, cause like you stated, decks are going to be so hard to build, new players won’t be able to make decent lists.

IvanAipom93

Ice/Electric type member
I have been playing since Day 1 of PTCGO (including the old program that got wiped, the pilot period where they removed your collection after the pilot, etc. etc.).

I have slowly amassed a large number of COL energies (b/c they are cool looking and fun to put in decks) and hoarded my HGSS era packs for occasional trades since they were so valuable they would get me things I wanted/needed. I love many of the HGSS cards, put them in current decks (the Pokemon Communication with Pikachu is a cool looking card), and play legacy occasionally.

While many of the changes are welcomed, the impending loss of part of my collection is very disheartening. It's like your mom throwing away all of your old cards while you were away only to come back home and she told you, "they were just silly kids things that you outgrew, right?".

Change is fine. Throwing away stuff I (and others) have painstakingly collected for years is just wrong.
I am almost exactly this.

Like ICEdaddy, I have played this game since Day 1, since the original in-browser beta, since the time we saw Platinum cards in the database but weren't allowed to get them and then disappeared. I have started by collecting a bunch of HGSS cards when codes didn't even exist and the only ways to get boosters were logging into the game and defeating CPU opponents. Man that was hard, but do you know the satisfaction of finding that one rare card or that one Pokémon you like the most?

I am absurdely disappointed from the choice of not even transporting those cards for collection and museum purposes. There is no reason to do this. Two sets of HGSS don't even come close to the number of cards of one set of SWSH. They'll have dozens of sets in database. Why should be a problem to migrate FIVE smaller ones for just satisfactions of old collectors?

I don't even play Legacy, I had them for collection and they have a sentimental value for me: TCGO is one of the few games I've constantly played for so many years. I can imagine this is even harder for Legacy Players that have spent time to build old, funny, epic decks of the past. This is one of the biggest disrespects I've ever seen from TPCI. This is bigger than any lack of Pokédex, because at least, they didn't bother deleting your old Pokémon from existence. Thing they will with my HGSS online collection: it will simply fade in the dust, disappear, like it has never existed.

I mean what? How is that even the most faraway idea? What kind of attitude is that towards players? The best I can do now (and I have already done that, so desperate) is using the Windows game camera to take a long video of my HGSS collection so I can watch them again? How this thing has the smallest sense? It didn't even COST them to keep it in a museum view-only section. It's a super small bunch of cards. This thing doesn't even have the smallest sense. I repeat.

NOTE: there are also MANY additional feature removals and changements I personally don't like - trading, buyings and cutting away over the limit of 4 cards are on top. But changing is one thing we can talk about in the future and even dislike in the future. DELETING items you collected and sometimes paid for, is another, and does not even require any time.

Last edited:

Mimikeon

Aspiring Trainer
Yeah your probably right, I should update my system but don't really feel time buying windows 10 or 11. Would rather invest on a new machine powered by Tux the penguin. Now that I think about, would be surprised if the new app supported win 7. It's interesting that win 10 is not listed as supported in the official system requirements page. Maybe something similar will happen with the new app.
Yeah, and of course there are options to run Windows programs on Linux. That said though, you don't have to buy Windows 10. You can still get it for free legitimately if you know how. And ~$20 keys are easy to find too.
Depending on the hardware you have, easier said than done.
If your PC in 2021 can't run Windows 10, you have bigger issues than running a card sim to deal with.

Either way, everyone will have the smartphone option.

Mimikeon

Aspiring Trainer
While it's easy to see what can go wrong, we should wait until we have full details before posting these massive rants. It largely depends on what they mean by single cards. If it's random, then that obviously sucks. If you can effectively buy singles though, it'll likely end up being a bit of a wash, where the most expensive cards will be cheaper, while the cheapest ones will be more expensive. The benefit on that end though is that you need to open packs for those credits, so you'll get most of those uncommons that way anyway.

Really, it's going to come down to actual pricing. Unfortunately, there are signs that pricing will be 1-1 with physical MSRP though, so we'll have to see what effect this has on the second-hand code market. It's hard to visualize it right now.

Pikachuisunderrated

Aspiring Trainer
"Players will be given eight free preconstructed decks to begin their experience in PTCGL." Basically theme decks I suppose, not the already existed one but new ones
Sad they are getting rid of current theme decks. I love all the updates but why mess with things that were perfect before?

The Binder Guy

Aspiring Trainer
While it's easy to see what can go wrong, we should wait until we have full details before posting these massive rants. It largely depends on what they mean by single cards. If it's random, then that obviously sucks. If you can effectively buy singles though, it'll likely end up being a bit of a wash, where the most expensive cards will be cheaper, while the cheapest ones will be more expensive. The benefit on that end though is that you need to open packs for those credits, so you'll get most of those uncommons that way anyway.

Really, it's going to come down to actual pricing. Unfortunately, there are signs that pricing will be 1-1 with physical MSRP though, so we'll have to see what effect this has on the second-hand code market. It's hard to visualize it right now.
If the deck box/sleeve selection screen is any indication you’ll be able to choose the items you’ll want to spend your Credits on, but it still doesn’t say if it’s just for one card or a play set.

Also, while I do agree with waiting for full details before making any rash decisions I also find the amount of info released by TPCi to be sorely lacking at best and outright malicious at worst. I would’ve LOVED to hear that locked cards are eligible for transfer but TPCi leaving that out of the initial drop makes me VERY worried.
I legitimately wrote 4 long paragraphs about my disgust and dissatisfaction with Pokemon and how they've gone from a beloved franchise to a corporate shill flirting with predatory practices with their microtransactions toward children and the ever increasing low quality games. But I ultimately hit a massive burnout depression and I'm just in a sense of "Why am I even bothering, it'll do well because kids will want it, and their parents are adults with fond memories of ye old pokemon days so they'll wanna share their pokemon experience".

I really just wanna be done with this franchise, but I have a wife who enjoys Pokemon, I have friends who still enjoy Pokemon. I'm sorry I'm a bitter old man but this franchise is just... it just sucks. And I don't know if I'll come back this time.

I probably will, but i'm just so disappointed.
You basically hit the mark with that “kids will want it and and their parents have fond memories of the olden days” bit, childrens’ standards have hit an all-time low and nostalgia in general has been a pox on popular culture since the early 2010’s.

And what happens when you try to rage against this machine? People tell you that the game “isn’t for you” or they tell you to “let people enjoy things” like brain-dead parrots.

JustInBasil

Grass-Type Gym Leader
News Staff
Also, while I do agree with waiting for full details before making any rash decisions I also find the amount of info released by TPCi to be sorely lacking at best and outright malicious at worst. I would’ve LOVED to hear that locked cards are eligible for transfer but TPCi leaving that out of the initial drop makes me VERY worried.

They have told you that your cards are transferring. They didn't say "well, not your locked ones, tho. Sucks to be you." They said that your cards are transferring. I don't understand where this panic about locked cards is coming from. You're not the first person I've heard it from and it makes me wonder if some clickbait PokéTuber is out there spreading poorly researched "exclusive information" again.

If the deck box/sleeve selection screen is any indication you’ll be able to choose the items you’ll want to spend your Credits on, but it still doesn’t say if it’s just for one card or a play set.

The text below comes right out of the article I wrote, where the article talks about Credits in the highlights bullet points. You can purchase individual cards using Credits.

"It is not possible to trade with other players in PTCGL. Instead, you unlock cards in game and ‘extra’ copies of cards are converted into Credits, one of the game’s three currencies, that can be redeemed for single cards to add to your collection."

Last edited:

Mesiia

Aspiring Trainer
They have told you that your cards are transferring. They didn't say "well, not your locked ones, tho. Sucks to be you." They said that your cards are transferring. I don't understand where this panic about locked cards is coming from. You're not the first person I've heard it from and it makes me wonder if some clickbait PokéTuber is out there spreading poorly researched "exclusive information" again.
It's beyond panic. It's like frantic de-humanized feral aggression. The amount of craziness in this thread is absolutely astonishing.

JustInBasil

Grass-Type Gym Leader
News Staff
It's beyond panic. It's like frantic de-humanized feral aggression. The amount of craziness in this thread is absolutely astonishing.
It's not just here, it's all over. It's insanity. Arceus forbid anything change and TPCI actually move forward with a new online client. If it's not the same bug-ridden clump of spaghetti code that is PTCGO, it's the devil, apparently.

SunneLeone

Aspiring Trainer
It is not an updated client that’s the problem, and I would think that much is abundantly clear - it’s everything surrounding it. That everything needs to be like Hearthstone or Arena now, or perish. That we are getting admittedly inferior functionality for some 3D models and a lesser card pool in a game all about cards. If you think that’s all fine and dandy I really don’t know what else to say. I’ve been playing different card games online long enough to see the writing on the wall, here. I don’t care about anything they are adding or “improving”, but I sure do care about a lot of what is being removed. I also care about predatory economies involving battle passes, premium currencies, and crafting systems no one wanted or asked for, and if you did want or ask for it, well, maybe I’m better off gone like I said.

Last edited:

The Binder Guy

Aspiring Trainer
It is not an updated client that’s the problem, and I would think that much is abundantly clear - it’s everything surrounding it. That everything needs to be like Hearthstone or Arena now, or perish. That we are getting admittedly inferior functionality for some 3D models and a lesser card pool in a game all about cards. If you think that’s all fine and dandy I really don’t know what else to say. I’ve been playing different card games online long enough to see the writing on the wall, here. I don’t care about anything they are adding or “improving”, but I sure do care about a lot of what is being removed. I also care about predatory economies involving battle passes, premium currencies, and crafting systems no one wanted or asked for, and if you did want or ask for it, well, maybe I’m better off gone like I said.
Thank you for pointing out some of the gigantic elephants in the room, they really need to be seriously addressed rather than brushed over with cautious optimism.

FairyLandAlice

Aspiring Trainer
It's just that, nothing more, nothing else. Getting multiple competitive decks in PTCGO was pretty affordable. At least, much more so than irl. Will we be able to say the same about PTCG Live? I'm worried the answer will very probably be a big no.

The Binder Guy

Aspiring Trainer
It's just that, nothing more, nothing else. Getting multiple competitive decks in PTCGO was pretty affordable. At least, much more so than irl. Will we be able to say the same about PTCG Live? I'm worried the answer will very probably be a big no.
I highly doubt it as well. When TPCi introduced Gems as a paid TCGO currency (to Canadian players for “testing” purposes) the cost-per-pack mirrored IRL prices and that was largely mocked until they sunsetted the currency (that never left the “testing” phase and stayed in Canada) a while ago.

Mesiia

Aspiring Trainer
You're definitely better off gone if you'd rather live in ruins and stare at shiny things over wanting improvements and modernization, so feel free to see yourself out. A new modern platform that can actually be supported instead of band-aided over and over again can allow for implementation of features far and wide. Legions of people have asked for the 'credits' system they are implementing for years and years, so I'm not sure what bubble you've been living in. Any trade locked copy of a card beyond 4 is completely worthless, and has been for 10 years. Game isn't even in beta yet, we don't even know all of the features it'll have at launch, and have no real insight into a release and development schedule at the moment, yet somehow this announcement has unearthed the wrath of the loud minority legacy-andies (of whom I'm positive barely even play legacy to begin with, I've queued up multiple times over the past 24 hours and it's taken ~5 minutes each time to even find a game, and every single one has been fully optimal weavile/eggs or virgencel -- same as it has always been for the last 5+ years). Legacy feels like a generational bingo club, not a format. And the removal of HGSS is regrettable and I'll miss it, but the prospect of bigger and better things in the future should outweigh any potential regret for losing things that are borderline irrelevant to 95+% of anyone that plays the game.

The 'predatory economies' comment is rich too, because we barely have any insight into how that works. It's possible, hell, I'd say extremely likely, that this game will be wholly accessible to an even better degree for someone who is exclusively F2P. Hearthstone is absolutely simple to play F2P, and that seems to be the closest example we can use at the moment. The big exception to this is if they follow the model they attempted to use previously with Gems, which was an absolute joke and its very existence should've caused sackings. If they use a model even close to that one, I'll be the first one out the door. There's examples aplenty of microtransaction systems that work perfectly without feeling overbearing and without feeling predatory, so there's no excuse to not make it good for everyone this time around.

SunneLeone

Aspiring Trainer
Forgive me for not trusting any corporation with the object of ‘making’ “money” (see: all of them) to care at all about the best interests of their audience beyond how much they can be exploited for quicker, bigger bucks. I am not sure what rock you have been living under where that has ever been the case, but I am envious among other things.

Diego Lima

Aspiring Trainer
Sure, let's now use the fallacy of "it's not what they're saying, it's how they're saying". It's easy saying we're all "crazed" and "blind with senseless rage" or whatever and not having to address any of the actual points we're making. Yes, we may be furious, and we may even not be making our biggest effort to come off as "reasonable", but that means jacks*** to the actual underlying points. We have serious, legitimate and perfectly solid concerns regarding the news, we can either discuss the points, or you people can create a bubble of the enlightened who won't engage with the angry savages and never have to actually address the issues, I'm fine with that as well.

Also, some of the arguments I'm seeing from the enlighted and pure of heart are just bad and lacking logic. For instance, the "progress", the "moving forward" argument, you people are talking like that is an end in and of itself. It's not. Going forward is only as good as the destination. Anyone knows the issues the current client has, and not a single person has denied them or said the client is perfect. But we cannot throw the baby out with the bathwater. Some of your arguments is basically "the old client had problems, therefore we have to automatically accept any and whatever change comes with the new one", and that is just stupid, sorry for my bluntness, but there's no other way to put it.

Last edited: