WillyCharizard

Aspiring Trainer
They could literally keep it as is. Teaching a kid one unique card isn't going to confuse them for the rest of their life.
Its a stage 2, give 2 prize, have 150 hp and attack cost of 3 for only 80, will not see play anyway and there are several revelead cards which have the same issue, they definitely need to be updated otherwise would be almost the same as not being playable would mostly have no use

Scoop

Literally a sheep
Yeah, I mean, you guys have fun with collecting them I guess... I don't envy you in that. I play the game haha
Likewise, you have fun with playing the game. I don't deal with that, at least not Standard or Expanded. Nor do I envy you guys.

Also, if it's about nostalgia.... why not just buy the original?
Well... A couple of things.

1) The original may be much less accessible than these reprint counterparts. I don't have a few grand to throw around for Umbreon Gold Star, but I might be able to get this new version.

2) These reprinted cards have their own collectible merit despite just being reprints. Their texturing, foiling, and commemorative-ness of it provides a collectible value to them that's more than just "The same card again." It's a blend of nostalgia and something new to go after.

For instance, any EX that gets reprinted I'm collecting, despite already owning their original versions. It's a new part of the EX collection for me personally. I'm nostalgic over the cards that are being reprinted and I have something new to get.

Skeleton Liar

サーナ~
Imagine being so self-centered that you have to bitch because you won't be able to play with a super small subset of 25, collectors and old timers-focused cards, out of the thousands that will be available in standard alone for actual play, by the time they release.
I think you just hit the nail on the head for the difference between those who collect (and possibly also play the TCG) and those who only play the TCG. "If it's not in Standard, it doesn't exist. What's the point? You took 25 cards away from me, now I'm gonna starve."
patrick-star.gif

I swear, there's a Spongebob quote for everything in life.

Then again--not to generalize ALL TCG players, just the more vocally ignorant--there are some self-centered things that I complain about as a collector too. Like the modern sets being WAY too big. Every. Single. Set. It's no longer fun to collect when it's so daunting, especially when you have a budget. But I'm at least aware that others DO like the fact that sets are so big now. My silver lining is, now that I'm no longer collecting new sets (except for Celebrations), I'm free to collect whatever interests me and go back to previous sets to complete.

Last edited:

ThatUnlimitedProfessor

Aspiring Trainer
Imagine being so self-centered that you have to bitch because you won't be able to play with a super small subset of 25, collectors and old timers-focused cards, out of the thousands that will be available in standard alone for actual play, by the time they release.

Self-centered?

What?

I just want the cards to be legal? Suddenly I'm self-centered and a bad buy?

What is this?

I think you just hit the nail on the head for the difference between those who collect (and possibly also play the TCG) and those who only play the TCG. "If it's not in Standard, it doesn't exist. What's the point? You took 25 cards away from me, now I'm gonna starve."
patrick-star.gif

I swear, there's a Spongebob quote for everything in life.

Then again--not to generalize ALL TCG players, just the more vocally ignorant--there are some self-centered things that I complain about as a collector too. Like the modern sets being WAY too big. Every. Single. Set. It's no longer fun to collect when it's so daunting, especially when you have a budget. But I'm at least aware that others DO like the fact that sets are so big now. My silver lining is, now that I'm no longer collecting new sets (except for Celebrations), I'm free to collect whatever interests me and go back to previous sets to complete.

I play Expanded and Unlimited. I don't play standard. I guess I'm bad for wanting to have the cards legal... for some weird reason.

I'm not against people collecting stuff. I'm bummed it's not legal.

You guys are seriously harsh here. This is POKEMON, not something serious. Unbelievable.

Last edited:

Skeleton Liar

サーナ~
I play Expanded and Unlimited. I don't play standard. I guess I'm bad for wanting to have the cards legal... for some weird reason.

I'm not against people collecting stuff. I'm bummed it's not legal.

You guys are seriously harsh here and it's garbage.
I'm legitimately asking this because I don't know. Is Unlimited an officially sanctioned format? Does TPCi hold any official Unlimited tournaments? Expanded, I know is official, but Unlimited just seems like something that's done by players who just want to have fun outside of regular tournament rules. If it's not sanctioned--or really, even if it IS--what prevents you from playing these cards among friends? That's honestly what I'll do. It's along the same lines as buying a World Championships deck and using some of the cards as proxies among friends.

The point of this 25th anniversary set largely seems to be about it being fun. And I've seen a few too many people not grasp this because they were too focused on the trading card game aspect of it. So when I saw you say, "I don't envy you in that. I play the game haha" it came off as ignorant and arrogant to me, as if to say you're focused on what's more important, not this collecting nonsense. But it's very possible you didn't mean it that way, and it's hard to read tone through text. So if I misjudged what you meant, I apologize.

ThatUnlimitedProfessor

Aspiring Trainer
I'm legitimately asking this because I don't know. Is Unlimited an officially sanctioned format? Does TPCi hold any official Unlimited tournaments? Expanded, I know is official, but Unlimited just seems like something that's done by players who just want to have fun outside of regular tournament rules. If it's not sanctioned--or really, even if it IS--what prevents you from playing these cards among friends? That's honestly what I'll do. It's along the same lines as buying a World Championships deck and using some of the cards as proxies among friends.

The point of this 25th anniversary set largely seems to be about it being fun. And I've seen a few too many people not grasp this because they were too focused on the trading card game aspect of it. So when I saw you say, "I don't envy you in that. I play the game haha" it came off as ignorant and arrogant to me, as if to say you're focused on what's more important, not this collecting nonsense. But it's very possible you didn't mean it that way, and it's hard to read tone through text. So if I misjudged what you meant, I apologize.

Yes and no. I've personally have hosted very real, officially listed unlimited format tourneys, yes. They're officially listed on Pokemon.com, but you can't win points towards the Play! Pokemon TCG season. For the events, I had deck creation rules and deck approval, so it was pretty fair :)

Unlimited format allows all *legal* cards to be played. You can't play cards that aren't legal in the unlimited format. For example, I can't bring in a homemade card, worlds deck card, or a Yu-Gi-Oh! card. It has to be a legal card. In addition, the latest version still applies. For example: You can't play the old Bill without it being a supporter.

The laughter I did is me showing I'm not aware of the collections side, so it was sheepish in nature. I'm not going to pretend I know what you guys like when you collect, so I'm not going to act like I'm an expert in it at all. I'll pass on that part. "You guys have fun" is me knowing it's tough out there to get the cards you want due to all the news on collecting today, plus the amount of rare cards they have. It's me in essence saying the "grimace emoji". I understand it's tough, so I don't envy that. I don't mean it in a negative sense at all.

I never said that collecting is in any way WORSE than playing. To each their own. I'm not saying this at all and I'm not trying to come off as being this way, because I literally don't think either is better. Again, to each their own. Sorry if it came off as offensive and I am sorry it annoyed people here, but I honestly didn't say anything wrong :| I still stand by what I said: I wish they were legal. Also, I don't envy trying to collect at this time. I don't think they're bad opinions.

Charmaster:)

Collecting, playing, & making family memories.
Also, if it's about nostalgia.... why not just buy the original?
For one time, these cards are among the best representations of their mechanics… which is to say that they are among the most EXPENSIVE representatives of their mechanics. Maybe not THE most, but up there. Not to mention many of these cards are also in high demand for vintage format players, which compounds the price issue.

The current market price of Gardevoir ex is $80 on TCGPLAYER. The current market price for Shining Magikarp is $225. The current market price for Garchomp C Lv. X is $45, while Luxray GL Lv.X is $100. Team Magma’s Groudon is $28 for the original, $4 for the deck exclusive non-Holo. Donphan Prime is $15. Full Art Reshiram is $30. Mewtwo EX Next Destinies is $5, one of the cheapest cards to be featured in the subset. There are four versions of Venusaur Base Set, but the cheapest has a market value of $80. Umbreon Star is EXTREMELY rare and the cheapest one on TCGPLAYER right now is $2,000. $2,000. You heard me right. You get the point, a few of the more modern cards are cheap, but many of these cards are far more expensive than many collectors can afford or desire to spend on a card. Hopefully these cards will be far cheaper AND more or less lower the market values of the originals.

Still, I’m not sure why this comment exploded. It’s a perfectly reasonable question that merits a perfectly reasonable answer.

Last edited:

Skeleton Liar

サーナ~
Yes and no. I've personally have hosted very real, officially listed unlimited format tourneys, yes. They're officially listed on Pokemon.com, but you can't win points towards the Play! Pokemon TCG season. For the events, I had deck creation rules and deck approval, so it was pretty fair :)

Unlimited format allows all *legal* cards to be played. You can't play cards that aren't legal in the unlimited format. For example, I can't bring in a homemade card, worlds deck card, or a Yu-Gi-Oh! card. It has to be a legal card. In addition, the latest version still applies. For example: You can't play the old Bill without it being a supporter.

The laughter I did is me showing I'm not aware of the collections side, so it was sheepish in nature. I'm not going to pretend I know what you guys like when you collect, so I'm not going to act like I'm an expert in it at all. I'll pass on that part. "You guys have fun" is me knowing it's tough out there to get the cards you want due to all the news on collecting today, plus the amount of rare cards they have. It's me in essence saying the "grimace emoji". I understand it's tough, so I don't envy that. I don't mean it in a negative sense at all.

I never said that collecting is in any way WORSE than playing. To each their own. I'm not saying this at all and I'm not trying to come off as being this way, because I literally don't think either is better. Again, to each their own. Sorry if it came off as offensive and I am sorry it annoyed people here, but I honestly didn't say anything wrong :| I still stand by what I said: I wish they were legal. Also, I don't envy trying to collect at this time. I don't think they're bad opinions.
Honestly, I think it's all good, and this is just another example of tone not being available through text. And again, I apologize for the assumption.

That's interesting about the official Unlimited tournaments! I've only understood that TPCi more or less acknowledges that Unlimited is a thing, but not that tournaments can be hosted for it. I'm definitely understanding why you specifically wish the tournament legality was lifted on these cards now. But on the other hand, not in a dismissive way, I also stand by saying these can be used among friends outside of tournaments. Just for fun.

Side note, though. I'm curious, what's the ruling on Computer Search in an Unlimited format? Are all versions of the card available, but only one can be played in a deck since it got that Ace Spec ruling?

ThatUnlimitedProfessor

Aspiring Trainer
Honestly, I think it's all good, and this is just another example of tone not being available through text. And again, I apologize for the assumption.

That's interesting about the official Unlimited tournaments! I've only understood that TPCi more or less acknowledges that Unlimited is a thing, but not that tournaments can be hosted for it. I'm definitely understanding why you specifically wish the tournament legality was lifted on these cards now. But on the other hand, not in a dismissive way, I also stand by saying these can be used among friends outside of tournaments. Just for fun.

Side note, though. I'm curious, what's the ruling on Computer Search in an Unlimited format? Are all versions of the card available, but only one can be played in a deck since it got that Ace Spec ruling?

No problem man :) I won't even talk about it anymore

Yeah, I may have been the first professor to do it in years, but I have no idea. I host them because I want to encourage creativity and unpredictability. For me personally, I find *that* fun! So, I wanted to encourage this to the community more! You can always play cards however you want for sure. I'm just saying that there is an actual Unlimited format ;)

I haven't found a perfect ruling on Computer Search, but I believe it's only the ACE SPEC card that's allowed, and the older ones are no longer allowed. Personally, I feel the old cards should be allowed, but it isn't in Expanded format, so it isn't in Unlimited (as far as I'm aware).

Dawn Hero

Aspiring Trainer
Delta Species is one of my favorite, if not my favorite mechanic the TCG has ever made. Opening a pack and pulling a Fire/Metal Mewtwo and that kind of thing was so cool, the whole aesthetics and artwork during that era was so unbelieavably cool.
Couldn't agree more brother!

Charmaster:)

Collecting, playing, & making family memories.
Also, I just realized that, even if the PROMOs had been balanced for their respective eras, Zacian Lv.X and Light Toxtricity would be unplayable because every normal Zacian and every Toxel is too strong for DPPt and Neo respectively. Yes, Toxel as well. No matter how low the damage output or how high the attack costs, 70 HP will always be bonkers on a classical era evolving basic. Onix Base Set being the only evolving basic with more than 60 HP from that era that I can think of.

Skeleton Liar

サーナ~
No problem man :) I won't even talk about it anymore

Yeah, I may have been the first professor to do it in years, but I have no idea. I host them because I want to encourage creativity and unpredictability. For me personally, I find *that* fun! So, I wanted to encourage this to the community more! You can always play cards however you want for sure. I'm just saying that there is an actual Unlimited format ;)

I haven't found a perfect ruling on Computer Search, but I believe it's only the ACE SPEC card that's allowed, and the older ones are no longer allowed. Personally, I feel the old cards should be allowed, but it isn't in Expanded format, so it isn't in Unlimited (as far as I'm aware).
Oh, I totally agree that Unlimited brings that fun factor! Back when I started playing the TCG at the tail end of the DPPt era, one of my favorite decks that I made was one that used the fossil Pokemon from the Arceus set. Earlier this year, I remade it with some cards that we've gotten since then, like Level Ball, Team Up Jirachi, Strong Energy, etc. It's a lot of fun.

Hmm... I guess I see why only the Ace Spec is allowed since that's the case for Expanded, but I also think for Unlimited, one copy of the old version should be allowed.