Collecting Where are the Scalpers?

bbb888

Same user name as my Pokémon YouTube channel
Last month I went to my local card shop and they had plenty of booster boxes, Elite Trainer Boxes (Hidden Fates, Champions Path, Shining Fates), tins, theme decks, and more! (see pictures)
Forgot to ask if the store has a purchase limit, but where are the scalpers??

This is not a big chain store like Walmart, it is a small independent hobby store in Canada. Anyone who is interested in these products, please come here :)

pokemon_card_shop_1_by_bbb8881_deep62e-pre.jpg

deep6dw-3d9cd74d-51b8-456f-b64b-68098ba1ffb4.jpg

LightYearLiam

Local shops seem to do better with preventing scalpers than chains. This is pure speculation, but maybe it's easier for local stores to make decisions like limiting the amount of product per customer, without needing to get approval from a bunch of higher-ups. The most recent time I went to a local shop, they had a notice mentioning that they might limit the amount of Pokemon card products sold per customer, and they had a decent stock. Compare this to when I went to GameStop the other day and they literally had no Pokemon cards for sale, despite the Flapple promotion going on.

Charmaster:)

Collecting, playing, & making family memories.
Oh my goodness.
Are those all original MSRP? Do they have any Mew and Mewtwo GX tins?

bbb888

Oh my goodness.
Are those all original MSRP? Do they have any Mew and Mewtwo GX tins?

Some of the people who work there are players and collectors themselves, I believe, and they often keep an eye on the market status. The prices are not dirt cheap, but not crazy either, for the most part.
I'm pretty sure they have Mewtwo GX tin :) Want me to get it for you?? Lol

Charmaster:)

Collecting, playing, & making family memories.
Is it $25? Now that you mention it, it wouldn’t make sense for them to not keep up with market prices, so I would guess that it’s not actually $25?
Also, now that I think about it, I probably shouldn’t be spending any more cards for a while.
Still, I’m surprised to see so much XY and SM product in stock! I would be interested to know what the prices they are asking for are, if for no other reason than to satisfy my curiosity.

bbb888

Are you able to ship to the US. There's definitely stuff I'm interested in
Yes, I can ship internationally to the States. The shipping cost really depends on the item. What products are you interested in??
However, I cannot guarantee that what you want will be in stock the next time I visit there.
Might be better to private message me for orders.

To answer a previous question, most tins are $30 Canadian dollars, while the more recent SwSh tins with 5 packs cost around $40 .

Scoop

Literally a sheep
Oh, gosh, that Empoleon Theme Deck... I wish I lived in wherever in Canada this is in, I've been after a sealed one of those for a hot minute now. Too bad I'm in the states, haha.

bbb888

Oh, gosh, that Empoleon Theme Deck... I wish I lived in wherever in Canada this is in, I've been after a sealed one of those for a hot minute now. Too bad I'm in the states, haha.
If you want, I can probably order it for you, if you are willing to pay. The Empoleon deck is about $20 Canadian . If you are interested, private message me.

The-Kaiser

Starfleet Captain and Pokemon Trainer
Next time i have monies and theres no Star Trek starships on ebay i might have to PM you my to buy list :)

bbb888

what if *they* are the local scalpers and that's their stash?

Could be. But I bought Hidden Fates ETB from them back when it was $120 Canadian. Also, about 2 years ago, they had vintage D/P Stormfront packs for $10 each!!!
Not exactly scalpers in this sense.

DMYSYS

Aspiring Trainer
I'm in Canada too. Not to rain on this guy's parade but I knew of a shop that was selling Hidden Fates at marked up prices at the time its pricing was all going bonkers. I thought, well, fair enough, until one day I saw its owner at a local Walmart buying their entire stock of Hidden Fates boxes at MSRP.

lol

Last edited:

bbb888

I'm in Canada too. Not to rain on this guy's parade but I knew of a shop that was selling Hidden Fates at marked up prices at the time its pricing was all going bonkers. I thought, well, fair enough, until one day I saw its owner at a local Walmart buying their entire stock of Hidden Fates boxes at MSRP.

lol
OMG lol
Does Walfart sell at MSRP??
Walfarts usually don't have vintage cards or specific cards that I'm looking for, so that's why I mostly shop at this local store or online. But there are scalpers online too so I have to be careful.