'Matchless Fighter' Revealed as March's Japanese Set!

Yen

Aspiring Trainer
Energy costs look pretty rough so I'm withholding my judgement until we see more of this set. But i guess the good news is that Single Strike/Rapid Strike is looking to be more than a one-set gimmick

N's Rhyperior

Aspiring Trainer
Actually both cards look like decent additions to their respective decks. I can see Seviper in a non-V Urshifu list as a 2-off card since you are already using Houndoom to accelerate Single Strike Energy and you are most likely also using Bruno and a 1-off Karen's Conviction. While Seviper does not do much for Urshifu Vmax it is a solid card for Urshifu non-V. Zangoose can be a decent addition to various Rengeki decks. Blaziken Vmax provides acceleration and Urshifu Vmax combined with Inteleon fit the bench damage theme. I can see this card as a 1-off in most Rengeki lists because at present the only viable Rengeki supporter is Korrina's Motivation. Another option would be a rengeki deck based on Mustard to activate Zangoose and bench either Urshifu Vmax or Inteleon from the discard pile.
Korrina's Focus

Tytus

Expanded Best Format
The artwork crosses over on the cards, could this potentially be hinting at the return of a legend mechanic with V union?

Rcxd9999

Aspiring Trainer
The artwork crosses over on the cards, could this potentially be hinting at the return of a legend mechanic with V union?

Doubt it. It wouldn't be the first time that an artist doing an assortment of card arts decided to have some fun with a few of them like this.

Flygonite

Meta/budget player
If I want a heavy-cost Darkness attacker in my urshifu (v or non-v) deck, I'm gonna be using Tyranitar-V which also doesn't require me to use a Single-Strike supporter the same turn so I can disrupt my opponent with Marnie or use a consistent draw supporter instead of relying on Bruno and Mustard. Even Karen is somewhat situational for this, because while Tyranitar and Urshifu will be hitting for massive damage from the get-go, with Seviper you're required to go all the way out with very little setup options.

Zangoose is even more pointless as there's no reason to use it over Urshifu Rapid Strike - it doesn't hit for weakness, and it will be getting OHKO'd next turn so you're losing your energies either way.

AngryBokoblin

Guzzlord is fun
If I want a heavy-cost Darkness attacker in my urshifu (v or non-v) deck, I'm gonna be using Tyranitar-V which also doesn't require me to use a Single-Strike supporter the same turn so I can disrupt my opponent with Marnie or use a consistent draw supporter instead of relying on Bruno and Mustard. Even Karen is somewhat situational for this, because while Tyranitar and Urshifu will be hitting for massive damage from the get-go, with Seviper you're required to go all the way out with very little setup options.

Zangoose is even more pointless as there's no reason to use it over Urshifu Rapid Strike - it doesn't hit for weakness, and it will be getting OHKO'd next turn so you're losing your energies either way.
IDK, tyranitar doesn't ko drag for 3 energy but seviper does. The problem is that the ss supporters suck. It isn't a bad option though. Honestly mustard out the baby ss urshi and houndoom onto it would be better than this in basically every way tho.

Kangaflora

Aspiring Trainer
Nice to see both Zangoose and Seviper again. It's also good that their attacks don't specifically target each other like in the past where Zangoose's attacks were only useful when used against a Seviper.

ShinyMimikyu

Aspiring Trainer
This card can get you whatever you want and let you promote a wall like Altaria. If you want scenarios, I could list 58 of them.
Search your deck for Lysandre for next turn and promote a wall.
Search your deck for Yell Horn for next turn and promote a wall.
Search your deck for Aipom for next turn and promote a wall.
Search your deck for Air Balloon for next turn and promote a wall.
Search your deck for literally any card that you need the next turn and promote a wall.
Control is not an archetype that has a set strategy, if it did it's called a lock, stall, or mill deck. The control archetype exists as a collection of tools available to deck builders to deal with meta decks. Control doesn't rotate like Pikarom, Eternatus, Centiskorch, every other deck will, a control deck is just a deck that wins the game by completely preventing your opponent from winning. Delibird is a new tool that control players can play just like Pawniard, Munchlax, Yell Horn, Capture Energy, etc.

All of those scenarios can be achieved without this card. Rosa and Starly do the same thing and don't require energy.

Chimecho3000

Aspiring Trainer
Seviper is our teased Basic Pokemon that can do 180 for 3 energy if conditions are met.

That just leaves the stadium and the Basic Pokemon that places damage counters for 1 Energy, which are obviously the blurred images that were shown (Spiritomb & Dyna Tree Hill).

kingK4RP

Who doesn't love a good old Magikarp?
Zangoose actually looks really good to me. With Mew UNB rotating out, the spread is looking up. Telescopic Sight can add a little more umph to the attack. Can’t the new Cherrin accelerate to Zangoose? The attack isn’t so bad then...

JakeTheGearHeart

Aspiring Trainer
All of those scenarios can be achieved without this card. Rosa and Starly do the same thing and don't require energy.
Rosa does not work if your opponent hadn't KO'd something the previous turn. Starly stays in the active after attacking. Both cannot be preemptively setup turns prior. Having a play always available, no matter if your hand is disrupted or not, if you drop Delibird and Twin at any time is powerful.

zzzeraora

Aspiring Trainer
Are Pokemon players seriously complaining about DDC being a high attack cost? Please go outside, even if it's just a foot.

MagnaDrake

Aspiring Trainer
Rosa does not work if your opponent hadn't KO'd something the previous turn. Starly stays in the active after attacking. Both cannot be preemptively setup turns prior. Having a play always available, no matter if your hand is disrupted or not, if you drop Delibird and Twin at any time is powerful.
In addition, both Rosa and Starly (w/ Bird Keeper) eats up your supporter for turn. Granted, Rosa lets you do something with what you fetch after using it, but as mentioned it doesn't work if your opponent didn't take a KO last turn.

All three cards have their specific uses in specific scenarios and in no way near bad at all, except maybe Starly.

MagnaDrake

Aspiring Trainer
Are Pokemon players seriously complaining about DDC being a high attack cost? Please go outside, even if it's just a foot.
For a basic single prizer that will almost always KO'd the next turn, among an ocean of 2-3 energy big 200+HP attackers, it is indeed quite high. Houndoom can ramp to Seviper, and Zangoose does have access to Rapid Strike Energy, but then they will probably be knocked out next turn and you'll lose 2-3 energies instantly.

Of course if you don't count the GXs and the Vs, these are quite amazing, but alas.

Platinum Espresso

Falinks Fanatic
Scolipede looks pretty good for a stage 2, 220 damage plus poison with G.Slowbro V support. Would be a good tech in Eternatus decks, though being stage 2 of course holds it back.

N's Rhyperior

Aspiring Trainer
  • Scolipede - another reason why I hate bland cards like this. Okay, 220 for 3 KO Zacian, how will you t1 it? 3 Geodudes
  • Dyna Tree Hill - if healing was still a thing... 3-4

Rocket The Shellos

Aspiring Trainer
wish there was better stage 2 support, there's no point of the drawback to their power being slow setup when the big basics in the meta are already stronger *and* quicker. i genuinely think letting non-rulebox pokemon evolve same turn would be fine in the current meta, theyre still clunky and situational

when do we normally get the full set list? normally at least a week before release right?