Pokemon World Championships Again Delayed Until Next Year

Hongo

Aspiring Trainer
Honestly, I don’t see them having it in 2022 either.

2023, maybe. Big maybe.

JakeTheGearHeart

Aspiring Trainer
I can’t believe they decided to cancel it entirely instead of just holding it on PTCGO with the top players who had the most points from last season. Everyone would have understood and at least then those who played hard to get those points would have something to show for it. I just hope this doesn’t mean that they wont be doing a normal rotation this year, I don’t think anyone wants another year with tag GXs
They always do worlds based off of a CP quota. By only having 2/3 of a year in the qualification time-range, it unfairly favors people who were able to attend events in the months we had events. I also doubt that rotation won't happen because they did one for this season 2020-2021 even though we're not having any events.

Mimikeon

Aspiring Trainer
Honestly, I don’t see them having it in 2022 either.

2023, maybe. Big maybe.

It would be crazy to skip an entire generation, though I guess that's technically already happening if my theory about the Sinnoh remake is correct.

RHowford

Aspiring Trainer
Advanced Member
Good. There are far more important things to worry about than this card game and hopefully by then tbis pandemic will be over. We can wait. If you can't, you need to get your priorities straight.

cardgjammer

Aspiring Trainer
I wonder what will happen if they drag out the next Worlds any more years?

When Worlds finally comes around uncancelled, I wonder if the Worlds' main event will consist of all Pokemon Player's Cup(PPC) invites to Internats, in which there could potentially be 32 invites to Internats by then, assuming the PPC continues into 2022... But in case you think "will Japan and Korea miss out as a result?" if they go that route, expect LCQs the day before the Worlds main event, for Japanese and Korean players restricted to those countries' resident pool ONLY, and everybody in the Junior Division, Senior Division, as well as those who missed the invite in the PPCs/LCQs, will all be relegated to the "London Open", meaning they will get as much CP as they would a Regional, and they will have their work cut out for them to qualify for 2023 Worlds...

^ If true, although I'm not THAT young to qualify for their divisions(I am 33 years and 8 months old), I will feel bad nonetheless for the younglings that will miss out in 2022 over factors beyond their control occurring outside the event facility. Then again, in a world of COVID, strange things can happen...

The Binder Guy

Aspiring Trainer
Eh, I had a feeling that it'd get postponed again.
They always do worlds based off of a CP quota. By only having 2/3 of a year in the qualification time-range, it unfairly favors people who were able to attend events in the months we had events. I also doubt that rotation won't happen because they did one for this season 2020-2021 even though we're not having any events.
It's also worth noting that doing the games on the TCGO would essentially lock out Japanese and Korean players, the TCGO is a TPCi-only thing that largely caters to the Western part of the player base.

Aces

Aspiring Trainer
Why doesn’t Pokémon just hold TCGO competitions with actual prize money? They would attract more players. Would probably save money all around for them and players.

The Binder Guy

Aspiring Trainer
Why doesn’t Pokémon just hold TCGO competitions with actual prize money? They would attract more players. Would probably save money all around for them and players.
Probably for the same reasons why Junior and Senior divIsion players can’t compete in Player’s Cups, local and federal laws preventing TPCi from going through with the idea.

Chris_the_hammer

Aspiring Trainer
Although, to be honest, this was completely expected.

The world is not ready for world's yet. Especially with all the newcomers to the game who might be going to to spectate, and buy stuff from vendors. Also, everyone in the US and Japan and Australia would essentially be breaking travel regulations by going there, considering that Australia and Japan is basically chilling with almost no new cases.

If you think worlds should still be on, consider getting at least one braincell before posting.
I think it should still be happening but not in person and on ptcgo. They have been tweeking things with the Players Cups so I could see them still changing there minds mid season or doing some big event similar to Worlds online with the top ranked players from the 2020 season

fleshrum

Cephalophore
Sure, man. I believe everything hysterical people tell me too.
yiiiiikes.

sad that it won't happen, I've watched it superbowl style with my friends for the last few years cause it usually falls on my birthday weekend. But it definitely needs to be postponed, and maybe 2022 will be cancelled too at this rate.

MagnaDrake

Aspiring Trainer
Couldn’t they do something like Japan did with limited numbers and COVID test confirmation and stuff like that. That also said “We look forward to celebrating the accomplishments of all our competitors at an expanded 2022 Pokémon World Championships in London.” When they say expanded are they referencing the format or the increase in size?

I don't think we can. Japan has a very strict protocol of which their citizens would happily oblige to. Even then, they still keep getting case spikes every now and then.

Can't imagine how it would be if you force it to the UK, or any other country, for that matter.

AuraJackle

Aspiring Trainer
No, the harm is from ignorant and selfish people choosing not to wear their masks. Plus an outgoing President who did not have a plan to tackle it. Restrictions are in place to protect people.
His plan was to let each individual state decide what to do it failed because the American people as a whole only care about their individual feelings. Blaming Trump for everything is just plain wrong because the average American would have just ignored him because of blind hatred or not wanting to give up freedoms. The extremely low chance of dying doesn't help either sense most 20-35 year olds will still choose to party regardless of political inclinations.

PerkyPancham

Aspiring Trainer
It's for the best. I'd rather have safety rather than something that's a commodity. Prioritizing a Pokemon tournament over public safety is idiotic and selfish. They most likely will eventually have Worlds, and I trust the wait will be well worth it.

PerkyPancham

Aspiring Trainer
I can’t believe they decided to cancel it entirely instead of just holding it on PTCGO with the top players who had the most points from last season. Everyone would have understood and at least then those who played hard to get those points would have something to show for it. I just hope this doesn’t mean that they won't be doing a normal rotation this year, I don’t think anyone wants another year with tag GXs
With regulations on Juniors/Seniors playing PTCGO sanctioned tournaments and Japan/Korea players not having nearly as much access to PTCGO causes issues. I do agree that they need to keep rotation this season.

Charmaster:)

Collecting, playing, & making family memories.
With regulations on Juniors/Seniors playing PTCGO sanctioned tournaments and Japan/Korea players not having nearly as much access to PTCGO causes issues. I do agree that they need to keep rotation this season.
OR they might actually do EXPANDED format. Who knows, that could’ve been what they meant. not only this time, but last time as well. I mean, probably not, but who knows?

The Binder Guy

Aspiring Trainer
OR they might actually do EXPANDED format. Who knows, that could’ve been what they meant. not only this time, but last time as well. I mean, probably not, but who knows?
I highly doubt the main event itself will be run in the Expanded format, historically Worlds has always been a Modified-format event with only ONE (2015) running Expanded.

jamestajames

Aspiring Trainer
Ya know. I was questioning my political party, and myself as a person. I’m glad I went to Pokebeach where everything politics matters. It changed my mind from the first comment I read. 5/5. Would use again when the next big election comes up :)
Wow. The ONE place you feel like you (i) can escape politics, here at Pokebeach, and here the hate comes again. Can’t we just discuss Pokemon together, without politics being involved? I mean how far will this go? Red Fire typing means Republican; Blue Water type means democrat! Everyone chill. This is a world-wide site. Discussing one country’s issues doesn’t fix another’s. “But other countries depend on America”. Oh really? I’m glad everyone goes to a Pokemon forum to see what world issues can be solved here.

The Golden Mewtwo

Currently crying because I'm a 16 year old senior
I just hate how this affects aging up Seniors like myself, I'm gonna turn 16 next month but I still can't play in any online events. Like I understand why juniors and seniors can't play (federal laws), but I don't understand why aging up seniors can't play in the players cup. In the 2019 season I was 4 points off qualifying, and then 2020 gets delayed (for obvious reason that make sense and should be a thing). Last time I played in a tournament was the limitless qualifier #1, which I got 69th in, and I would have loved to play in more but I didn't want to spend money on online cards when I'll be going to college in 2 years. I probably would have at least put time into grinding the online game but it just felt useless when I can't play in any official TCPi events.