Blastoise VMAX, Venusaur VMAX, and More Revealed!

Flygonite

Meta/budget player
Aren't these all reprints? Goddamn, TPCi is getting real lazy to fix the terrible format we are into, we are really looking at ADP dominance until the next rotation.

N's Rhyperior

Aspiring Trainer
  • Drednaw, Eldegoss, Cramorant, Zarude,Volcanion - ehh

Take note that the Professor Juniper is getting reprinted, doesn't mean you'll use the old one. The card says Professor's Research (Juniper) not Professor Juniper. Same thing applies to Boss' Orders (Lysandre)

The Fish

0.o
The Cramorant art is amazing. HYOGONOSUKE you absolute madlad. Reminds me of the Feebas from Darkness Ablaze

JustInBasil

Grass-Type Gym Leader
News Staff
Is that a straight up reprint of Professor Juniper, or is that a new Boss' Orders?

The Juniper is "Professor's Research" with the flavor text Professor Juniper.

The card featuring Lysandre is "Boss’s Orders" with the flavor text Lysandre.

Yaginku

H-on Will Save Pokemon
Take note that the Professor Juniper is getting reprinted, doesn't mean you'll use the old one. The card says Professor's Research (Juniper) not Professor Juniper. Same thing applies to Boss' Orders (Lysandre)
Is there any official confirmation of this yet? They have, again, chosen to reprint a card that already exists and gets a special clause in the rules, in a box that's not part of a regular set. For Expanded purposes, this "is" Professor Juniper (or, more accurately, Professor Juniper is a Professor's Research). I would wait for an official clarification, even though I don't expect them to choose the pro-player approach.

steffenka

Miss Vaanjie
Is there any official confirmation of this yet? They have, again, chosen to reprint a card that already exists and gets a special clause in the rules, in a box that's not part of a regular set. For Expanded purposes, this "is" Professor Juniper (or, more accurately, Professor Juniper is a Professor's Research). I would wait for an official clarification, even though I don't expect them to choose the pro-player approach.
Isn't it the same concept as how you were only allowed to have 4 of either Professor Juniper or Sycamore, but not 4 of both? That's at least how I understood it from here.

Unrelated, can I just say I love the art for Chewtle and Cramorant? They are so cute!! :D

fleshrum

Cephalophore
love the idea of the flavour specific evergreen supporters. this solves a lot of problems very neatly, especially for integrating older formats with newer ones. Looking forward to rotation though cause ADP is an unfair deck in an otherwise very fair meta.

Mimikeon

Aspiring Trainer

Yes, there is official confirmation. Also, what would the "pro-player approach" be in this situation?

ShinxieDim

bbbbbbbbbbbbbb
Pretty disappointing that these awesome art pieces are put on cards that are not intended to be usable in any way

Most of these cards aren't just sub-par, they're also boring. Just a few vanilla attacks with the occasional "flip some coins", "attack X Energy from X place", or "This Pokémon does X damage to itself". The Abilities aren't exciting either, they're either a passive effect (Drednaw) or ripped from an older card (Celebi and Manaphy)

The two VMAXs here are somewhat interesting, they're fine. But why is everything else so dull? What does Horsea add to the Blastoise deck?

I'm seeing the same design philosophy with these deck filler Pokémon creep into the main sets and I'm not liking it one bit

The Fish

0.o
He is my fav artist. I try to collect all his cards. Did you know he did the alt art bird gx?
Yeah. Still salty that I never got my hands on that one. His Mimikyu from Cosmic Eclipse is my personal favourite. I'm currently on a mission to collect every kawayoo card from the HGSS series, just because the majority of them look absolutely terrifying. Eg:
30.jpg

The Fish

0.o
Pretty disappointing that these awesome art pieces are put on cards that are not intended to be usable in any way

Most of these cards aren't just sub-par, they're also boring. Just a few vanilla attacks with the occasional "flip some coins", "attack X Energy from X place", or "This Pokémon does X damage to itself". The Abilities aren't exciting either, they're either a passive effect (Drednaw) or ripped from an older card (Celebi and Manaphy)

The two VMAXs here are somewhat interesting, they're fine. But why is everything else so dull? What does Horsea add to the Blastoise deck?

I'm seeing the same design philosophy with these deck filler Pokémon creep into the main sets and I'm not liking it one bit
Agreed. BUT the one good thing about amazing looking cards having garbage attacks is it makes them VERY cheap to buy and collect.

Wolfgirl90

Professor Luna

How this mechanic works was announced before Sword and Shield was released as part of the overall changes coming to the TCG in this block. This change was made to avoid having to make new clauses in the rules regarding certain cards that have maintained a certain mechanic, e.g. having to tell players to not use Juniper and Sycamore and Magnolia and [insert name of future professor here] in a deck. Just call them all "Professor's Research" and call it a day. Same with "Boss's Orders".

Now the only thing that needs to be said that you can't have both "Professor's Research" and the other professor cards or "Boss's Order" and "Lysandre" in the same deck in Expanded (this issue doesn't exist in Standard). With that rule in place, it needn't be updated again.

Yaginku

H-on Will Save Pokemon
How this mechanic works was announced before Sword and Shield was released as part of the overall changes coming to the TCG in this block.
Well, for one, it's not a new mechanic (if you can call it that), it's an already-existing one and Professor's Research was simply added to the list. I'm not sure you've understood our posts - we're talking about this card's legality in Standard. If PR(Magnolia) rotates out and gets replaced by PR(Professor Oak), will the Magnolia version still be legal? Or will the players be forced to buy a new playset, because a small italic subtext was changed? If PTCG wants to have "evergreen" cards they can constantly reprint, but also force the players to buy them repeatedly, that's having the cake and eating it too.
That's why the choice of Lysandre and Juniper is interesting. These are PR/BO cards that already exist, within the same rule. If these work as overwrites, retroactively making the originals into PR/BO, that could allow them to be Standard-legal. I don't think they'll do it, but I don't want to rob them of this opportunity until they make an official statement.