Oranguru, Shaymin-EX, Sableye, and Energy Grace Milotic Banned in the Expanded Format!

FireLizard

A man who knows nothing about proportions.
Are these cards SO BROKEN that they have to be banned in the format?

JustInBasil

Grass-Type Gym Leader
News Staff
Are these cards SO BROKEN that they have to be banned in the format?

It's more that they enable cards that wouldn't normally be broken to become broken. They basically cause unintended exploits for the physical card game and Pokémon's patching the exploits out by just banning the cards that enable them.

Pone

Delta Species is best species
wth why Shaymin? This sounds another argument in favor of banning Scoop Up Net, not Shaymin. Card was fine until Scoop Up Net came out.

snoopy369

Aspiring Trainer
Advanced Member
Shaymin saw the writing on the wall when Crobat came out: the same card, except limited.

I do wish they'd consider errata instead of banning for some of these; but I understand why they don't (in particular, making the game more approachable for youngsters by avoiding errata whenever possible makes sense).

snoopy369

Aspiring Trainer
Advanced Member
wth why Shaymin? This sounds another argument in favor of banning Scoop Up Net, not Shaymin. Card was fine until Scoop Up Net came out.

Crobat is the answer: it just flat out replaces Shaymin. They haven't changed anything now, except for the ability to do the draw multiple times in a turn, which is what they want to avoid.

Yaginku

H-on Will Save Pokemon
I don't play Expanded, but it's clear Shaymin-EX's popularity wasn't like a "oops, we slightly unbalanced the meta and it warrants bans", but willfully releasing a card that just omitted EXs like they don't exist. It wasn't some hidden combination either.

cardgjammer

Aspiring Trainer
I believe that in Expanded, Battle Compressor's existence allowed the first three of the cards in question to run amok in Expanded until this point when the decision was made... As for Shaymin-EX, the fourth card, Crobat V & Dedenne-GX's once-per turn allowance vs. Shaymin-EX's scoop-and-reuse allowance could have outdated that card. FYI, Scoop-Up Net is not the only scoop card in Expanded. Remember Super Scoop Up? As long as there's more than one option to scoop up Shaymin-EX out of play and back in again, banning the net won't eliminate the possibility completely, so to eliminate such scenario, either one of these two things had to be done: Shaymin-EX getting banned, or an errata getting issued to limit all draw abilities to one time per turn, regardless of off-and-on shenanigans. And they chose to do the former of the aforementioned things to eliminate multiple-times-in-one-turn draw...

AngryBokoblin

Guzzlord is fun
Man, remember when ultra prism came out and everyone thought guru was bulk and it got no play...

(Same thing with marshadow)

Otaku

The wise fool?
Shaymin saw the writing on the wall when Crobat came out: the same card, except limited.

I do wish they'd consider errata instead of banning for some of these; but I understand why they don't (in particular, making the game more approachable for youngsters by avoiding errata whenever possible makes sense).

I concur.

I will add that it is probably time to come up with a catch-all heading for multi-Prize Pokémon. A blanket errata for all past effects - counters or support - which reference Pokémon-EX, Pokémon-GX, and/or Pokémon V with the new, unifying term. Maybe it needs to actually be something that applies to more than just multi-Prize Pokémon, but I don't think any of the "modern" specialty gimmicks have been strong enough e.g. Pokémon BREAK weren't the powerhouses that Lv.X cards were. Even if there's no errata being issued, at the very least, future cards would use the terminology to avoid this issue.

Tytus

Expanded Best Format
Couldn’t they have just made shaymin once per turn. Also why do they just outright ban stuff instead of trying to fix the text a little.

Flygonite

Meta/budget player
Couldn’t they have just made shaymin once per turn. Also why do they just outright ban stuff instead of trying to fix the text a little.

Pokemon has never done erratas to keep cards legal, and to suggest they do this single time, is a bit disingeneous.

johnwick

Aspiring Trainer
Pokemon has never done erratas to keep cards legal, and to suggest they do this single time, is a bit disingeneous.
"Never" is a universal term.

By your argument, you're saying they'll never and have never done errata.

Pokemon Catcher was OP at first. Then errata with the Flip a Coin stipulation.

Mic drop boom lmfao

Skeleton Liar

サーナ~
Quite frankly, this just sounds like the Expanded format is a bit too big. I understand why certain cards would say "EX and GX" or "GX and V" when the previous ultra rares were still in the Standard format. It makes sense to cover both. And when looking at a card like Milotic, it makes sense that it only excluded EX's at the time and why this is a bit broken now. But to have all of these cards from the past 9--going on 10--years in one format? These issues are bound to keep happening. This might just be my lack of actual experience playing in the Expanded format, but why not change it to Sun & Moon and on at this point? (Or I suppose going forward with the 2021-2022 format.)