'Eruption Walker' Japan's Mini-Set for April!

Flygonite

Meta/budget player
Yeah I ain't feeling it chief, what with V-Max being basics in everything except called "evolution" mons by trying to fit them into the mechanic like a square peg into a round hole.

Here Centiskorch just brings up everything wrong with V-Max and overall powercreep.

"ME BIG. ME HIT YOU HARD. ME ADD MORE ENERGIES, MORE NUMBERS, MORE DAMAGE". The V basic seems to build up to something amazing with its first attack, and then it just becomes Reshizard but with extra steps. Congratulations, I guess?

Gardevoir would definitely be fun, if we just didn't rotate Malamar this august. Add an unfortunate steel weakness and no way to OHKO the Zacian menace, and you have a recipe for disaster. Seems like they don't want anything to out-do Zacian V in terms of brokeness for a while, so we will be seeing the same overcosted fat HP mons at least until the cards composing our november set.

Sparkeagle

Aspiring Trainer
Our first Psychic Gardevoir in a long while. Is it the fairy, is it the psychic? We'll never know since they made it the same type.

Edit: Oh wait nevermind it has a metal weakness so its still seen as the fairy type Gardevoir

LostSalamence

LOST: The End
Playable or not, that Centiskorch V and Gardevoir V artwork is delightful. And did you notice that little Diglett on the pack-art. Poor guy...

Nyora

A Cat
Yeah I ain't feeling it chief, what with V-Max being basics in everything except called "evolution" mons by trying to fit them into the mechanic like a square peg into a round hole.

Here Centiskorch just brings up everything wrong with V-Max and overall powercreep.

"ME BIG. ME HIT YOU HARD. ME ADD MORE ENERGIES, MORE NUMBERS, MORE DAMAGE". The V basic seems to build up to something amazing with its first attack, and then it just becomes Reshizard but with extra steps. Congratulations, I guess?

Gardevoir would definitely be fun, if we just didn't rotate Malamar this august. Add an unfortunate steel weakness and no way to OHKO the Zacian menace, and you have a recipe for disaster. Seems like they don't want anything to out-do Zacian V in terms of brokeness for a while, so we will be seeing the same overcosted fat HP mons at least until the cards composing our november set.
someone seems to forget centiskorch can ohko zacian for 2 energy.

They said it themselves, they're making a weakness based format. I hate it, for one, and it's probably not gonna work out as they expect, but that's what they/re doing. I wouldn't be surprised if we got a fire support pokemon, basic or stage 1, this set that not only accelerates energy, but can ALSO ohko Zacian as well.

Wailord's Pokemon

Pokemon TCG player. 2019 Worlds Competitor.

Centiscorch is simply an awful card. This seems weird to say, but its HP is too low to justify its attack.

Otaku

The wise fool?
Am... am I the only one kind of bothered by Heat [R] Energy? I mean, I know Pokémon doesn't have strict divisions about what Types gain what effects, but it just seems like an HP buff makes more sense for most other Types.

Don't believe me?
As a reminder, so far the revealed Energies are trying to do something "different", but thematically appropriate, versus the XY-era Type-specific Special Energy cards. They do make sense thematically, though:
  • Horror [P] Energy - In mythology, Fairies can actually be pretty terrifying, and both Ghost and Psychic Type representatives have long been about placing damage counters.
  • Speed [L] Energy - Lightning Types often associated with speed, and drawing cards is a good way to translate that into the TCG. I mean, there are more obvious options, but Energy acceleration or Evolution acceleration would probably be too complicated or simple but broken. XD

In order of best fit to least best fit:

• Fighting - Not too reflective of Ground Typing, but very appropriate for the often-buff, athletic Fighting Types and or massive, hardy Rock Types.

• Metal - We don't have a DEF or S.DEF stat in the TCG, and they've done both damage reduction and immunity to Special Conditions so many times, an HP buff is one of the few options left that makes sense without repeating.

• Colorless - For Normal Types, this probably is the actual best fit, but Flying Types are along for the ride. Also, pretty sure we're not getting a [C] Type Energy along these lines, since we didn't last time.

• Grass - Last time they did healing; an HP bonus doesn't make a lot of sense for Bug Types, but for Grass Types? Yeah.

• Water - As with Grass, healing and HP increases have a similar flavor. Ignoring Pokémon and thinking more in real world terms, punching water or ice doesn't work too well, even if for different reasons; HP increases are a good way to represent that in the TCG.

• Dragon - Dragons of myth are many things, and often... they're B-I-G! So yeah, HP buff makes sense. Might be higher up if, y'know, we were sure the Dragon Type was still a "thing" in the TCG. XP

• Psychic - An HP boost makes sense for Psychics that can heal or use their powers to absorb/deflect damage. It makes sense for Ghosts that avoid damage through being insubstantial. It makes sense for Fairies as a kind of blessing, or an alternative to healing. This would be higher in my list except they already have Horror [P] Energy.

• Darkness - Monsters seem bigger in the dark? Hey, this is the bottom of the list, and makes about as much sense as giving the bonus to Fire Types. XD
Even Lightning Types, ignoring that they already received their own Energy, make about as much sense as Fire; think of it like them getting bigger as you "charge" their batteries. For Fire Types, all I can think of is a big... uh... fire, or a warm feeling making you feel bigger... I guess?

Flygonite

Meta/budget player
someone seems to forget centiskorch can ohko zacian for 2 energy.

They said it themselves, they're making a weakness based format. I hate it, for one, and it's probably not gonna work out as they expect, but that's what they/re doing. I wouldn't be surprised if we got a fire support pokemon, basic or stage 1, this set that not only accelerates energy, but can ALSO ohko Zacian as well.

Centiskorch can OHKO Zacian. Cool, so does every relevant fire card on the format lol. Balacing your cards around hitting weakness is such a post-TEU format thing to do. Like every fighting mon hitting 120 for some reason... oh yeah Pikarom has 240 HP.

Skeleton Liar

サーナ~
I mean, I guess we all knew it would happen eventually, but I wasn't expecting to see a Gardevoir V and VMAX this soon. Both are... kind of underwhelming, I think mostly because Zacian V exists. Hopefully this means they're a bit on the cheaper side this time.

But my goodness, that artwork on the V! I'd expect nothing less from Kagemaru Himeno--in fact, this exceeds my expectations!

Dark Espeon

Dark Avatar
Centiscorch VMAX is quite interesting due to the scaleable damage. For no more than a Welder for two Basic Energy it hits for 120 damage and accelerates from the discard. Thus next turn this card hits for a solid 200 damage for no more than one attachment. This should suffice to knock out opposing Pokémon VMAX in two hits and build another attacker on the bench at the same time. If you have seven energies attached to it it can knock out oppsing Pokémon VMAX in one hit. Compared to Charizard VMAX and Cinderace VMAX the damage output at a certain number of energies attached to Centiscorch VMAX is considerably lower. This also holds when comparing Centiscorch VMAX with Reshiram and Charizard GX. However, unlike the aforementioned alternative Centiscorch VMAX is easier to swarm and has access to the same tools as the other three alternatives. This makes Centiscorch VMAX rather flexible. It seems like several reviewers underestimate this potential. Pokémon still adhers to a "speed kills" principle as illustrated by the recent success and popularity of Dragapult VMAX.

I am not that sold on the Gardevoir VMAX line. Similar to Dragapult VMAX the success of this card is based on the premise that the Pokémon VMAX cannot be easily knocked out in one hit. Provided that Gardevoir VMAX has a worse weakness and fits a damage spread tactic considerably worse than Dragapult VMAX it has a harder time to win the prize race. Interestingly Gardevoir V itself has a much more offensive attack than Gardevoir VMAX which could work when combined with Giant Bomb and Indeedee V in addition to Horror Energy. These combo cards should allow Gardevoir V to hit for a solid 200 provided that it had damage on it to be removed with Indeedee V and Giant Bomb and Horror Energy may provide the missing 120 damage to knock out opposing Pokémon VMAX on their own turn provided that they are able to ohko Gardevoir V. The removal of 50 damage from the attack Gardevoir VMAX seems too little given its cost and damage output at first glance but I am not very versed with healing focused tactics. Personally I prefer more offensive routes or dmage spread when it comes to deck building.

Grass-Type Farm Owner

Aspiring Trainer
Kinda lame that Heat Energy is a very generic effect and doesn't really tie into its type's themes the way Speed and Horror Energy do, or Burning Energy back when that was a thing. Oh well, Fire doesn't need a big buff and its support doesn't gel well with Special Energy anyway.

AmbientDinosaur

Aspiring Trainer
Heat Fire Energy is quite a surprise. If I would have guessed the effect of the new special fire energy, "increasing maximum HP" would not have been it.

I rather like these new VMAXes compared to previous ones we've had so far. Nothing extraordinary about them per se, but I personally like the effects of both Centiskorch VMAX and Gardevoir VMAX.

The metal weakness for Gardevoir is upsetting, however. It completely stops the idea of Gardevoir being a 2HKOing tank dead in its tracks.

On another note, I love the booster pack art for this set. It's basically just Gigantamax Centiskorch giving Tyranitar a stink eye and going "Heard you talking shit".

Scoop

Literally a sheep
I'm really liking the art on that Gardevoir. I'm hoping we get more of those kinds of Pokemon-V akin to this/Snorlax/Lapras. That kind of variance in art made GX's a lot more solid of collectibles once TT's came out.

N's Rhyperior

Aspiring Trainer
  • Golisopod - Doing huge damage for a Twin Energy is what I like. 3-4 Geodudes
  • Mimic Bell? - Sounds Good but only to some decks like Falinks who needs more Falinks (regular or V) on the bench. Some decks need 1-2 Copies in play then dump the other ones. It may see some use but only as a 1-of, as the decks like Falinks needs like 2. Quick Ball is enough. 3-4 Geodudes

JakeTheGearHeart

Aspiring Trainer
Only a couple years ago that Golisopod would've been considered fantastic. Now it would've needed to say at least 80 more damage for each GX/V to see play and 90-100 more damage to be really viable. This power creep is really hurting the game badly in my opinion.

MilesEX

Aspiring Trainer
Only a couple years ago that Golisopod would've been considered fantastic. Now it would've needed to say at least 80 more damage for each GX/V to see play and 90-100 more damage to be really viable. This power creep is really hurting the game badly in my opinion.

Your post seems at odds with itself? The card isn't a power creep but ... powercreep is hurting the game?

They're clearly moving the entire meta away from powercreep/easy OHKO. Just gonna have to wait for tag teams to leave. They probably realise they're OP and made a mistake.