Discussion Worlds Canceled?

Kenatta_tcg

Aspiring Trainer
So obviously there has been no official announcement from Pokémon, and I don't expect that there will be for another few weeks to a month on NAIC (and possibly Worlds) at that point, but are we at the point where we should assume the rest of the Pokémon year is done?

In the US the number of cases is continuing to rise, putting NAIC in a really bad spot. I would assume that one will be canceled as events in the US beyond that time frame have already been canceled (even in other TCG). If NAIC is canceled, is it even possible to have Worlds with 2 Internationals down and months without regionals/cups/challenges? Sucks for all those players who already got their invites (like my two kids), but I don't know if there is any saving the season at this point. What do you guys think? I have already moved on to start playing/testing for rotation in August at this point (assuming TEU and newer stays).

snoopy369

Aspiring Trainer
Advanced Member
I would assume worlds in August is very questionable, but I don’t think it’s possible to say what is going to happen until they announce it. Could be postponed, could be cancelled ... could be online, who knows. Not a terrible idea to playtest for the potential worlds format, anyway, just in case; but I certainly would lean on the side of cancelled or postponed. But who knows.

Kenatta_tcg

Aspiring Trainer
I would assume worlds in August is very questionable, but I don’t think it’s possible to say what is going to happen until they announce it. Could be postponed, could be cancelled ... could be online, who knows. Not a terrible idea to playtest for the potential worlds format, anyway, just in case; but I certainly would lean on the side of cancelled or postponed. But who knows.
Yeah my thought on the cancelation isn't how much or how little COVID-19 is affecting the world at that point, but whether or not TPCI can even sort through the mess of how to deal with all the canceled challenges/cups/regionals/internationals. I seriously doubt online due to cheating, and postponed would certainly be worse for all those who already have travel arrangements. My thought is that IF NAIC is canceled, which I believe it will be based on how things are in the US right now, THEN Worlds will be canceled. No hard evidence, just an assumption that losing half the years tournaments will make it irreparable.

snoopy369

Aspiring Trainer
Advanced Member
Well... then this happened...

The 2020 Play! Pokémon Championship Series has been suspended. More details here: https://bit.ly/3dIx0rw

Good news is that your invitations will be honored. Less clear what happens with kids like mine, who were close to an invite (a few cups away) but not there yet (will the points be retained, or will only those who got full invites already be invited, and any without invites start from scratch); and even less clear with kids like a friend of mine's who age out in 2021...

Jeff Stratford

Aspiring Trainer
Well... then this happened...

Good news is that your invitations will be honored. Less clear what happens with kids like mine, who were close to an invite (a few cups away) but not there yet (will the points be retained, or will only those who got full invites already be invited, and any without invites start from scratch); and even less clear with kids like a friend of mine's who age out in 2021...
All point earned during the 2020 season will
Be honored for the 2021 season

Kenatta_tcg

Aspiring Trainer
All point earned during the 2020 season will
Be honored for the 2021 season
Yeah, going to be a lot of interesting questions coming out of this. Are point totals for 2021 higher than 2020? Do age ups still happen (I would assume they would)? What about stipends? Going to be interesting to see what information they provide in the future. Still hoping they also lock SPEs and prevent out of area players from getting cheap points and taking them away from those local players who don't have enough events in their countries.

PokeMedic

Don't talk to me or my Pokemon ever again
Articles Staff
Finally, I can play Pokemon again without the pressures of traveling thousands of miles on my parents credit cards and only making top 8.

poliyatsia

Aspiring Trainer
Yeah my thought on the cancelation isn't how much or how little COVID-19 is affecting the world at that point, but whether or not TPCI can even sort through the mess of how to deal with all the canceled challenges/cups/regionals/internationals. I seriously doubt online due to cheating, and postponed would certainly be worse for all those who already have travel arrangements. My thought is that IF NAIC is canceled, which I believe it will be based on how things are in the US right now, THEN Worlds will be canceled. No hard evidence, just an assumption that losing half the years tournaments will make it irreparable.
I don’t think it’s possible to say what is going to happen until they announce it. Could be postponed, could be cancelled ... could be online, who knows. Not a terrible idea to playtest for the potential worlds format, anyway, just in case; but I certainly would lean on the side of cancelled or postponed. But who knows.

Otaku

The wise fool?
I don’t think it’s possible to say what is going to happen until they announce it. Could be postponed, could be cancelled ... could be online, who knows. Not a terrible idea to playtest for the potential worlds format, anyway, just in case; but I certainly would lean on the side of cancelled or postponed. But who knows.

The cancellation was officially announced on March 31, 2020 here.

Welcome to PokéBeach. ^^'

Merovingian

Dead Game Enthusiast
Yeah, going to be a lot of interesting questions coming out of this. Are point totals for 2021 higher than 2020? Do age ups still happen (I would assume they would)? What about stipends? Going to be interesting to see what information they provide in the future. Still hoping they also lock SPEs and prevent out of area players from getting cheap points and taking them away from those local players who don't have enough events in their countries.

As far as the age-up issues goes. Think of it this way, either the age-up happens this year without Worlds, or next year with Worlds. Either way, a group of players will be unhappy about it.

I think it'd be better to do the age-up sooner than later, especially with the points being honored for next year.