Japan's March Set: 'Rebellion Crash,' Plus Toxtricity V, Charizard VMAX, Grimmsnarl VMAX!

bunnybird12

Aspiring Trainer
Lysandre is back. I’ve actually enjoyed not having it in the format so it’s not the most welcome change, but at least they’re giving it the same treatment as Professor’s Research.

Nyora

A Cat
Why are people saying Eldegoss V is good. Is there something I’m missing about it like Zacian V where I missed it putting the 3 cards revealed into your hand or something? The only way I can see this consistently being good is playing 4, which means you now have a huge chance to start with them, which sucks especially in a format without T1 Supporters. You could easily get dunked going into your opponent’s turn lol. Unlike Vs Seeker, I have to bench this crap, making it sit on the bench, ready to die. I also can’t use it T1, making it at the very latest the most useful heading into like T3, T2 if I discarded a Supporter with like Quick Ball or something. Same at Scoop Up Net honestly. I feel this is a very good card unlike Eldegoss V, but is still receiving too much hype for pretty much just returning Shaymin EX. If it didn’t discard everything, I’d love this with may Seismitoad EX, though we’re also getting Twin Energy which can be used with it, so we’ll have to wait and see.

Toxtricity V/MAX looks really cool, in expanded this has only a small chance at all due to Comfey/Virizion-EX/Cobalion-GX and other forms of Special Condition prevention as well as 250 honestly starting up not being the greatest number. I can see this stealing a regionals if it is not prepared for; Electropower x2 lets you hit 300 +1 0, more if you have Muscle/Choice Band. But if you run into special condition prevention (and honestly Item lock), you probably just take an L. I don’t play a lot of standard, but seeing as how when more and more VMAX mons get introduced it’s going to seem even more and more like a 2HKO meta, Toxtricity could be good while Koko Prism and Thunder Mountain are still in format. SLE (Speed Lightning Energy) helps a ton here too. If people ever start being weird and teaching Galarian Rapidash though, L. Though, you will have Lysandre 2, so I guess it couuulddd be fine.

Dragapult V/MAX looks ok, it seems kinda like a gatekeeper to Evolution decks that aren’t also V/MAX decks tbh. HPE (Horror Psychic Energy) looks ok with it, helps numbers a little bit. Not too incredibly much, though. It’ll probably get a lot of other support, though.

Garbodor is a welcome card, it’s aria do’s but it doesn’t yeet your active into poison heck.
Problem with using Net for Inteleon is that it discards all cards attached to it so you lose Scrobble and Drizzile.
No, all cards attached does not include previous Evolutions.

TheTempest

Aspiring Trainer
I think that toxtricity vmax, that garbodor and the toxicroak from sword and shield could be quite a viable deck.

snoopy369

Aspiring Trainer
Advanced Member
These are my guesses for what the two hype cards might look like:

Emolga V - Lightning - 160HP
Basic Pokémon

Ability: Fly High
When you play this Pokémon from your hand onto your Bench during your turn, you may discard a Supporter card from your hand. If you do, use the effect of that card as the effect of this ability. You can't use more than 1 Fly High Ability each turn.

[C] Bounce 30
Switch this Pokémon with one of your Benched Pokémon.

Weakness: [L] x2
Resistance: [F] -30
Retreat: 1

Oleana
Supporter

Switch 1 of your opponent's Benched Pokémon with their Active Pokémon.

You may play only 1 Supporter card during your turn (before your attack).

Emolga V is basically a Lt. Surge that requires you to use a bench spot to use it (instead of being behind on prizes) and with Oleana in format, it makes it a bit more of a risk than it would now in UPR-SSH. Of course Emolga being the representative is entirely a guess (it's just my favorite pikaclone), but something with this effect could be any one of the small, adorable, and especially squishy Pokémon. This effect cutting through the turn 1 Supporter rule would make it a core staple in all decks (as per the hype), but could be potent enough that it would be preemptively banned in Expanded. It's possible they could also limit an effect like this to only be usable if you haven't used a Supporter card during your turn, but that would drastically drop the utility of the card.

What I call Oleana could just as easily be Chairman Rose, but I think they might save the Chairman for some other effect. Guzma was just insanely potent and a little too useful. I don't think they'll reuse that effect and are much more likely to use the Lysandre-style gusting effect like I've included for the theoretical Oleana.

Well, one for two isn't half bad!

AbyssalHand

Surge Double Bellelba
cool, now with the release of sws2, we're basically playing 2016/17 format now. all we're missing is a lele replacement

AngryBokoblin

Guzzlord is fun
Why are people saying Eldegoss V is good. Is there something I’m missing about it like Zacian V where I missed it putting the 3 cards revealed into your hand or something? The only way I can see this consistently being good is playing 4, which means you now have a huge chance to start with them, which sucks especially in a format without T1 Supporters. You could easily get dunked going into your opponent’s turn lol. Unlike Vs Seeker, I have to bench this crap, making it sit on the bench, ready to die. I also can’t use it T1, making it at the very latest the most useful heading into like T3, T2 if I discarded a Supporter with like Quick Ball or something. Same at Scoop Up Net honestly. I feel this is a very good card unlike Eldegoss V, but is still receiving too much hype for pretty much just returning Shaymin EX. If it didn’t discard everything, I’d love this with may Seismitoad EX, though we’re also getting Twin Energy which can be used with it, so we’ll have to wait and see.

Toxtricity V/MAX looks really cool, in expanded this has only a small chance at all due to Comfey/Virizion-EX/Cobalion-GX and other forms of Special Condition prevention as well as 250 honestly starting up not being the greatest number. I can see this stealing a regionals if it is not prepared for; Electropower x2 lets you hit 300 +1 0, more if you have Muscle/Choice Band. But if you run into special condition prevention (and honestly Item lock), you probably just take an L. I don’t play a lot of standard, but seeing as how when more and more VMAX mons get introduced it’s going to seem even more and more like a 2HKO meta, Toxtricity could be good while Koko Prism and Thunder Mountain are still in format. SLE (Speed Lightning Energy) helps a ton here too. If people ever start being weird and teaching Galarian Rapidash though, L. Though, you will have Lysandre 2, so I guess it couuulddd be fine.

Dragapult V/MAX looks ok, it seems kinda like a gatekeeper to Evolution decks that aren’t also V/MAX decks tbh. HPE (Horror Psychic Energy) looks ok with it, helps numbers a little bit. Not too incredibly much, though. It’ll probably get a lot of other support, though.

Garbodor is a welcome card, it’s aria do’s but it doesn’t yeet your active into poison heck.

No, all cards attached does not include previous Evolutions.
The good thing about eldegoss is that it makes it so you have more outs to your lysandre. If a lysandre somehow hits the discard before you want to use it (dede/research), then late game, when you NEED lysandre for game, all your quick balls turn into outs to lysandre. So instead of having 1-2 lysandre in deck, you have 1-2 lysandre AND 2-3 quick ball AND 1-2 eldegoss.

In short, eldegoss gives you more outs to the supporter you need by making your quick balls (basically) vs seekers.

Also, net is INSANE. Picking up shaymin is basically draw 4-5 in the right deck. So this item draws 4-5 cards. And you can play 4. And play a few shaymin. And a dede. And a sycamore. It is so much draw that you will have to be careful not to deck out. I can't wait to play turbo dark with this lol.

I think that the pre-evolutions still go back to hand, too. That is how it works with splash energy and rescue scarf.

jamashawalker

Ikouze!
Why are people saying Eldegoss V is good. Is there something I’m missing about it like Zacian V where I missed it putting the 3 cards revealed into your hand or something?

During the Lele + Guzma days, games were decided on who drew an ultra ball to get Lele to get Guzma. This is essentially the same function except the metagame is alot faster and hits harder. Is it VS seeker? No, VS seeker is 100x better than this. But will games be decided on who plays their Eldegoss V well? Absolutely. Once TTGXs have rotated though I feel it'll be a much more balanced metagame, unless they print out more broken cards

Nyora

A Cat
During the Lele + Guzma days, games were decided on who drew an ultra ball to get Lele to get Guzma. This is essentially the same function except the metagame is alot faster and hits harder. Is it VS seeker? No, VS seeker is 100x better than this. But will games be decided on who plays their Eldegoss V well? Absolutely. Once TTGXs have rotated though I feel it'll be a much more balanced metagame, unless they print out more broken cards
i get how Eldegoss can be good, and it's kinda sad that this is one of the only ways. I think it miight be played in faster decks or decks that can take the bench space, or decks that want to conserve a bit on deck building room.

Mcsonic00

Less Filler Cards Please
With Speed Lightning Energy & Horror Psychic Energy being printed, I have a feeling Strong Energy will make its return. ;p

Clam

Almost decent
With Speed Lightning Energy & Horror Psychic Energy being printed, I have a feeling Strong Energy will make its return. ;p
It will probably be something dumb like "knuckle energy" and it just does confusion even though thats not even a fighting type thing

Otaku

The wise fool?
i get how Eldegoss can be good, and it's kinda sad that this is one of the only ways. I think it miight be played in faster decks or decks that can take the bench space, or decks that want to conserve a bit on deck building room.

That isn't the only way, though. It was just the big example that reflects the changing metagame we anticipate post Rebel Clash. As soon as a draw Supporter hits your discard pile, Eldegoss V is an extra consistency card. If a healing Supporter is in your discard, its an extra healing card. Well, an out to such cards, anyway, as you're still out your Supporter for the turn. It also snowballs; Quick Ball - and any other compatible, non-Supporter Pokémon search - become outs to those Supporters so long as at least one Eldegoss V is still in your deck.

We already have Supporter recycling effects, but they're slower. There are also likely to be combos we're just not seeing. Just throwing stuff at the wall to see what sticks, but what about Giovanni's Exile for deck's already running Dedenne-GX? Right now, if you run it, you need to hit it at the right time. With Eldegoss V, anytime you need to clean up your Bench, you can fetch a Giovanni's Exile you used as discard fodder earlier, and get rid of the Eldegoss V you just played plus one more Pokémon... like a Dedenne-GX.

It will probably be something dumb like "knuckle energy" and it just does confusion even though thats not even a fighting type thing

Even though I've rarely been on the receiving end of a barrage of punches, it in the head by a rock, or smashed my head on the ground, Confusion totally makes sense for a [F] Special Energy, now that you bring it up. XD

snoopy369

Aspiring Trainer
Advanced Member
I actually wonder if Scoop Up Net is an indication that there will be a drastic reduction in the scope of Expanded at some point soon - though removing EXs would mean removing XY as well as BW, which would be *very* drastic...

On the other hand, any chance they change the language that is usually:
... A GX or V Pokémon

to be:
... A Premium Pokémon

Or something like that? Make up some new word for "non V/GX/EX" Pokémon, or the inverse, and then use that going forward?

The argument against doing that is that having older cards specify GX/EX only means that V Pokémon are immune to them - think Great Catcher - which helps with powercreep and encourages playing new Pokémon with new sets; but I don't think they necessarily intend to have the impact on Expanded that it sounds like they will with this kind of thing now...

MilesEX

Aspiring Trainer
I assume we're getting a lot more V/VMAX in this Japan set given it's the second mains set?