Discussion New to the Competitive Scene! Advice?

Copycat_tcg

Unsuspecting Ditto
So I've been playing the game at a casual to semi-competitive level for a decade now, and I recently got a job that not only allows me to travel, but I'll be able to afford to grind tournaments. Any advice for what I should be ready for? Are there online testing groups or should i only have them in person? Is it worth it financially? (I'm only paying for the deck, travel is paid by a generous sponsor)

FacepalmMaster

1 2 3 5 6 7 8 9
decks are usually 100-300 USD right now the decks are more expensive since dedenne gx is around 35 dollars. if you dont want to spent too much starting out competitively I would recommend blacephalon/pidgeotto (100$). this deck is pretty easy to play, you use professor elm's lecture to search out your pidgeys and pidgeottos(team up) and use welder(unbroken bonds) to attach an energy to your(unbroken bonds) blacephalon. with this deck you need to manage your energy carefully and use Victini prism star at the perfect time so you can have enough energy for the rest of the game. this deck uses a one prize attacker so against 3 prize tag team pokemon you can play the prize trade to your favor. with this deck you don't need to attack every turn, only attack when you need to because your attack discards energy and most decks are playing mallow and Lana which heals 100 damage, so you want to go for 1 hit knockouts.
if you're ok spending more I would recommend Reshiram and charizard gx/abilities(210$) and Arceus Dialga Palkia GX(210$)
reshiram and charizard's plan is to use welder to attach energy to Reshiram and Charizard GX to hit for 230 damage, and the gx attack can do 300 damage and goes through effects like keldeo GX's ability. this deck just won the international in Sao Paulo so it is good right now, this is the list: https://limitlesstcg.com/decks/?list=3122 ninetales is a gusting effect like guzma, lysandre, pokemon catcher, and gust of wind just to name a few cards you might know and you want to set one up to take knockouts on what you want to. this deck also has other attackers and Volcorana GX is also a great option to play to take 1 hit kos on tag team pokemon.
I don't have experience playing adp but you can watch youtube videos and twitch streams of people playing this deck.
stay away from control decks and mewtwo and mew tag team gx toolbox because they require a highly skilled player to do well.
This is a list of staple cards in the current standard format including card counts

4x Cynthia
4xLillie
4xWelder?
4xGreen's Exploration?
4xProfessor Elm's lecture?
4xProfessor Oak's research?
2xMallow and Lana Tag Team
2xCynthia and Catlin Tag team
2x Guzma and Hala Tag Team
4xTag call
You probably already have more than a playset of Switch
2xreset stamp
2xGreat Catcher
4xPokemon Communication
4xMysterious treasure?
4x Electromagnetic Radar?
4x Jirachi(Team Up)
4x escape board
2x pal pad
4x Pokegear 3.0
2-3x Dedenne GX
1x Mega Lopunny and Jigglypuff Tag Team GX
4x Cherish ball
one sword and shield base set releases there will be more new staple cards so here are some of them
4xProfessor magnolia
4xQuick ball
4x evolution incense
4x Rotom Bike
4x Fine band
I probably forgot some staples but those are a lot of them
Buy your cards from tcgplayer.com because there are lower prices than sites like ebay and DO NOT BUY FROM TROLLANDTOAD I HAVE GOTTEN LIKE 3 DAMAGED CAEDS FROM THEM.
limitlesstcg.com is a great place to find decklists and results from recent tournaments
I hope this helps
EDIT
More staples
2x Type: Null
2x: Silvally GX

Last edited:

SableyeGuy

Aspiring Trainer
decks are usually 100-300 USD right now the decks are more expensive since dedenne gx is around 35 dollars. if you dont want to spent too much starting out competitively I would recommend blacephalon/pidgeotto (100$). this deck is pretty easy to play, you use professor elm's lecture to search out your pidgeys and pidgeottos(team up) and use welder(unbroken bonds) to attach an energy to your(unbroken bonds) blacephalon. with this deck you need to manage your energy carefully and use Victini prism star at the perfect time so you can have enough energy for the rest of the game. this deck uses a one prize attacker so against 3 prize tag team pokemon you can play the prize trade to your favor. with this deck you don't need to attack every turn, only attack when you need to because your attack discards energy and most decks are playing mallow and Lana which heals 100 damage, so you want to go for 1 hit knockouts.
if you're ok spending more I would recommend Reshiram and charizard gx/abilities(210$) and Arceus Dialga Palkia GX(210$)
reshiram and charizard's plan is to use welder to attach energy to Reshiram and Charizard GX to hit for 230 damage, and the gx attack can do 300 damage and goes through effects like keldeo GX's ability. this deck just won the international in Sao Paulo so it is good right now, this is the list: https://limitlesstcg.com/decks/?list=3122 ninetales is a gusting effect like guzma, lysandre, pokemon catcher, and gust of wind just to name a few cards you might know and you want to set one up to take knockouts on what you want to. this deck also has other attackers and Volcorana GX is also a great option to play to take 1 hit kos on tag team pokemon.
I don't have experience playing adp but you can watch youtube videos and twitch streams of people playing this deck.
stay away from control decks and mewtwo and mew tag team gx toolbox because they require a highly skilled player to do well.
This is a list of staple cards in the current standard format including card counts

4x Cynthia
4xLillie
4xWelder?
4xGreen's Exploration?
4xProfessor Elm's lecture?
4xProfessor Oak's research?
2xMallow and Lana Tag Team
2xCynthia and Catlin Tag team
2x Guzma and Hala Tag Team
4xTag call
You probably already have more than a playset of Switch
2xreset stamp
2xGreat Catcher
4xPokemon Communication
4xMysterious treasure?
4x Electromagnetic Radar?
4x Jirachi(Team Up)
4x escape board
2x pal pad
4x Pokegear 3.0
2-3x Dedenne GX
1x Mega Lopunny and Jigglypuff Tag Team GX
4x Cherish ball
one sword and shield base set releases there will be more new staple cards so here are some of them
4xProfessor magnolia
4xQuick ball
4x evolution incense
4x Rotom Bike
4x Fine band
I probably forgot some staples but those are a lot of them
Buy your cards from tcgplayer.com because there are lower prices than sites like ebay and DO NOT BUY FROM TROLLANDTOAD I HAVE GOTTEN LIKE 3 DAMAGED CAEDS FROM THEM.
limitlesstcg.com is a great place to find decklists and results from recent tournaments
I hope this helps
Aight ima insult your staples buy list. I doubt you’ll need four ofs rotor bike and fine band. Dedenne isn’t 2-3, it’s 2-4. Guzma hala isn’t good. You only need two escape board. Most decks barely play one electromagnetic radar (pikarom sucks). Oh yeah you’ll also need four cincinno (or was it mincinno?) after sword and shield. And from what I’ve seen, you’ll also need at least one galarian zigzagoon and maybe a few bedes. Thank you for listening to my Ted Talk

FacepalmMaster

1 2 3 5 6 7 8 9
Aight ima insult your staples buy list. I doubt you’ll need four ofs rotor bike and fine band. Dedenne isn’t 2-3, it’s 2-4. Guzma hala isn’t good. You only need two escape board. Most decks barely play one electromagnetic radar (pikarom sucks). Oh yeah you’ll also need four cincinno (or was it mincinno?) after sword and shield. And from what I’ve seen, you’ll also need at least one galarian zigzagoon and maybe a few bedes. Thank you for listening to my Ted Talk
Rotom bike will be good with the t1 supporter rule
fine band will be at least a 3-of in some decks, the main one I'm thinking of right now is Lucario and Melmetal but there is definitely more, ffb was good (yes I know it added 40 hp) so this will be too.
what decks play 4 Dedenne?
A lot of decks are playing 1 guzma hala, and some are even playing 2
some decks play 3 escape board, but yeah 4 is mabye too much
pikarom is tier 2 right now probably, it got 3 top 64 spots and it was probably just underplayed. and koko v is coming so electrick is gonna be good again
sure, cincinno has trade, but it has a underwhelming attack and partners arent looking great, imo silvally is better, which I forgot to put on the staples list. cincinno just isnt zoroark
I dont understand why youre saying galarian zigzagoon but not fine band
bede will probably see niche play in some mincinno decks, not a must buy
i would say bede in adp if metal patch(ik thats not what its called didnt exist

SableyeGuy

Aspiring Trainer
Did people play four choice band? How is tapu koko V gonna make electric good again, lmao. Has a meh base output, and, like pikarom, will rely too much on electro powers and prism stars. Most decks will prob start going second so rotor bike would be pretty much a just in case thing.Some mewmew and abzard lists play 4 dedenne. Does anything even play 2 dedenne? ADP might. Edit: why would bede be played in cincinno? Bede will be good with ray (rillaboom too). Metal patch needs a metal type on bench and energy switch, so it will fail in adp as much as ray did. Bede good in adp.

Last edited:

Copycat_tcg

Unsuspecting Ditto
Y'all misunderstand, I've been playing/following the game with top tier decks for some time now, I have most tier one decks on PTCGO (I work at an LGS, people give me hundreds of codes). I'm more wondering about the logistics of grinding tournaments.

FacepalmMaster

1 2 3 5 6 7 8 9
Did people play four choice band? How is tapu koko V gonna make electric good again, lmao. Has a meh base output, and, like pikarom, will rely too much on electro powers and prism stars. Most decks will prob start going second so rotor bike would be pretty much a just in case thing.Some mewmew and abzard lists play 4 dedenne. Does anything even play 2 dedenne? ADP might. Edit: why would bede be played in cincinno? Bede will be good with ray (rillaboom too). Metal patch needs a metal type on bench and energy switch, so it will fail in adp as much as ray did. Bede good in adp.
more decks are playing 1 dedenne than 4, and tell me if you see any deck playing 4 dedenne in top 64 of laic, i checked the top 32 already. lopuff if making decks play less dedenne, and 4 isjust too much for most decks anyways.
hitting a flat 200 as an electrick type is good, and koko v is is only 2 prizes. fine band and 2 electropowers will get an ohko on most things.
a lot of decks played 3 chose band or fury belt, and a few decks might play 4. its not like it hurts to but 1 more of a card that will probably be under a dollar.
quick ball gets metal energy into discard, bede is supporter, you cant use supporter t1, you can use quick ball/metal saucer multiple times in 1 turn after t1. drawing cards with a supporter is good. most decks would rather be drawing cards, cincinno draws cards. bede is also only to the bench. you dont need an enrgy switch if you can just retreat, play switch, or mallow and lana. half of the time youre going to go first, and it will also be good t2 in evolution decks.
Y'all misunderstand, I've been playing/following the game with top tier decks for some time now, I have most tier one decks on PTCGO (I work at an LGS, people give me hundreds of codes). I'm more wondering about the logistics of grinding tournaments.
I cant really help you with that, I go to maybe 3 regionals per year and usually just play in cups and challenges. my only good finishes at regionals were when i was a senior, and tournaments were a lot easier then. that was when there were city and state tourneys and it wasn't worth it to travel. after a few years in masters I've gotten a few day 2s, but you probably shouldn't expect to make day 2 at most tournaments when you're just starting. making top 32 at 1 regional per quarter isnt worth it if you make 2 decks, and tournament entry fees are like 50$ too. after saying that I would say its worth it if you just want to go to the tournamnts for fun, and you get prize packe for top 64 so at least thats something. you will probably loose money if you dont top 16 multiple regionals per year which is hard if you're not a top player.

SableyeGuy

Aspiring Trainer
more decks are playing 1 dedenne than 4, and tell me if you see any deck playing 4 dedenne in top 64 of laic, i checked the top 32 already. lopuff if making decks play less dedenne, and 4 isjust too much for most decks anyways.
hitting a flat 200 as an electrick type is good, and koko v is is only 2 prizes. fine band and 2 electropowers will get an ohko on most things.
a lot of decks played 3 chose band or fury belt, and a few decks might play 4. its not like it hurts to but 1 more of a card that will probably be under a dollar.
quick ball gets metal energy into discard, bede is supporter, you cant use supporter t1, you can use quick ball/metal saucer multiple times in 1 turn after t1. drawing cards with a supporter is good. most decks would rather be drawing cards, cincinno draws cards. bede is also only to the bench. you dont need an enrgy switch if you can just retreat, play switch, or mallow and lana. half of the time youre going to go first, and it will also be good t2 in evolution decks.

I cant really help you with that, I go to maybe 3 regionals per year and usually just play in cups and challenges. my only good finishes at regionals were when i was a senior, and tournaments were a lot easier then. that was when there were city and state tourneys and it wasn't worth it to travel. after a few years in masters I've gotten a few day 2s, but you probably shouldn't expect to make day 2 at most tournaments when you're just starting. making top 32 at 1 regional per quarter isnt worth it if you make 2 decks, and tournament entry fees are like 50$ too. after saying that I would say its worth it if you just want to go to the tournamnts for fun, and you get prize packe for top 64 so at least thats something. you will probably loose money if you dont top 16 multiple regionals per year which is hard if you're not a top player.
Yes but it won’t ohko most (maybe all) v max and adp. Very good cards. Also some other smaller stuff like guzznaga and wailordkarp.

imashbuttons

Aspiring Trainer
Don't shower for a few days before an event, your smell will confuse and bewilder your opponent and cause them to misplay.

I call it the MTG classic.

The Last Shaymin

Floof
Don't shower for a few days before an event, your smell will confuse and bewilder your opponent and cause them to misplay.

do this, and get a bunch of grime on your hands so when you cut your opponents deck, it will change colour and then you can report them for marking sleeves

FacepalmMaster

1 2 3 5 6 7 8 9

this strategy has more of an effect in smash tournaments since youre sitting next to your opponent, sitting across from them doesn't have the same effect

Serperior

~
Advanced Member
My favorite tournaments are the ones where I spend hours of testing for the event, talking to a friend or two about a specific deck idea, and performing well. Not enough emphasis is placed on the actual testing process, and it should be one that is taken seriously - specifically for Regionals and larger events. (Cups and Challenges in which competition might be on a smaller scale, you might get away with netdecking and sacking your opponent to some CP that day.)

Bring extra sleeves with you on tournament day, double- and triple-check your list for decklist errors, and remember that it's just a game. I thoroughly enjoy playing competitive Pokémon.