Help Question about electropower and Mew (Unbroken Bonds 76)

davyfung

Aspiring Trainer
1. What will happen on using two electropower in one turn? I try it in PTCGO about one month ago. It add 30 damage instead of adding 60. But I do it again today and the result is adding 60 damage. Which one should be correct?

2. The mew with ability Bench Barrier cannot block the attack of putting damage counter while Sky Pillar can. The only different is Sky Pillar prevent all effect while mew prevent damage. Is it the reason why mew cannot block attack that put damage counter? Or just a bug?

Thank you for answering me!

Otaku

The wise fool?
1. What will happen on using two electropower in one turn? I try it in PTCGO about one month ago. It add 30 damage instead of adding 60. But I do it again today and the result is adding 60 damage. Which one should be correct?

2. The mew with ability Bench Barrier cannot block the attack of putting damage counter while Sky Pillar can. The only different is Sky Pillar prevent all effect while mew prevent damage. Is it the reason why mew cannot block attack that put damage counter? Or just a bug?

Thank you for answering me!

1) Each copy of Electropower played should add 30 damage. If it didn't happen in the PTCGO, either it was a glitch or there was something in play that you missed. If it happens again, try to save your Game Log and submit an error report (unless it is so widely known they have a post saying not to).

2) No, it is not a bug but the official explanation requires understanding the damage rules in a lot of detail. When an attack does damage to a Pokémon - and nothing prevents or reduces that damage to zero or less - this results in damage counters being placed on the Pokémon that was attacked. Some attacks can skip doing damage and go straight to placing damage counters, which is treated as an attack effect. Sky Pillar blocks all effects of your opponent's attacks (including damage) done to your Benched Pokémon, so it will block direct damage counter placement; Mew's Bench Barrier only stop damage, and placing damage counters technically skips that step.