Discussion New Tier List After Cosmic Eclipse

Kenatta_tcg

Aspiring Trainer
Anyone seen any updated tier list that includes Cosmic Eclipse? Trying to decide which cards to buy for my kids who play in juniors and seniors. Below is my current best guess. I'm sure I left out decks and probably have some that people might disagree with. Just my guess, and again I am seeking input to try to figure out new tiers in order to streamline my purchasing of cards.

Tier 1
Arceus & Dialga & Palkia/Keldeo
Pidgey Control
Mewbox

Tier 1.5
Malamar/Giratina
Baby Blacephalon
Doll Stall
Ability Charizard
Gardeon

Tier 2
Reshirom (I know a lot of hype, but a lot of playtesting has been inconsistent)
Pikarom
Volcarona & Silvally
Ability Charizard
Dark Box
Blacephalon
Baby Blacephalon
Green's Reshiard/Charizard & Braxien
Naganadel & Guzzlord

Tier 3
Nuzzlechu
Sawsbuck
Excadrill

Last edited:

enemyfox95

Aspiring Trainer
Arceus & Dialga & Palkia/Keldeo is definitely way too inconsistent. I would say the best thing it has going for it is the chaotic swell/keldeo combo but ADP is a huge liability seeing as Gardeon will be extremely popular now and can OHKO it.

The rest of your list is pretty on point. I think MewBox is going to see a big drop in popularity due to mimikyu/chaotic swell/great catcher. I also think Blacephalon-GX comes in at a strong tier 2, light 1.5, as it does get some good cards this set in island amulet, great catcher, and beastite (maybe).

Kenatta_tcg

Aspiring Trainer
Totally forgot about Blacephalon, I will add it to the list. I have been testing ADP (Arceus & Dialga & Palkia) a lot and don't have any issue playing against Gardeon because I play a one-of Lucario Melmetal that OHKOs them. I also play a tag call version so I can grab that and the Mallow & Lana for healing. In that matchup I only play the one ADP to get rolling and then use Keldeo and Lucario Melmetal for the rest. Haven't lost yet to Gardeon. I'm actually surprised you think it is inconsistent. On PTCGO I have only lost one game out 8 to Mewbox, and that because I bricked horribly drawing 5 energy and an N's Resolve off a Cynthia after already having used N's Resolve the turn before and getting 3 off it (I only play 14 energy). I have found it in testing to be one of the most consistent decks I have tried. The only more consistent deck I have played is Pikarom, but I have concerns over that due to chaotic swell wrecking Thunder Mountain turn 1 attacks.

Kenatta_tcg

Aspiring Trainer
God trio cant be ohkoed by a kaleidostorm because they would attach a choice helmet.

That's not a bad tech idea. I was playing Lucario-Melmetal as my tech to improve the Gardeon matchup, that and I play 2 Mallow & Lana and 2 Cynthia & Caitlyn with the tag calls to keep recycling the healing. I actually don't mind giving up the ADP in that matchup to get set up as I just use Keldeo's for the rest often. I'm not even sure the Lucario-Melmetal is necessary, but it's a great closer. Do you play adventure bag or some way to search the choice helmet out?

Gameguard

Aspiring Trainer
I think melmetal lucario is a bit of a issue lots of fire decks still, reshizard goes through the tool cards.

Think the best bet us weakness energy for your trio which u can search with new tag supporter. I dont like n resolve it's far too risky. I find silvally can do well with e switch. And energy for turn. Gardy take a turn or two to set up. Yes hitting it for weakness is great with melcario thou. ADP needs alot of testing yet, I've also tried fire version with welder n brush. Then use zard as ur main attacker after using adp gx. Works nicely but still clunky. Thou I'm sure my list is subpar.

As much as I like adp to be tier 1 I feel it's a tier 2 deck.

Kenatta_tcg

Aspiring Trainer
Doll Stall is tier 1 for sure

I have tested Doll Stall a bit and found it isn't consistent and struggles against really aggressive decks like Pikarom (tagbolting Florges) and ADP. ADP is a brutal matchup, especially if they go second on turn one because they will just GX you and then take 3 knockouts to win game. Its very hard to get set up that quickly for doll stall. Not to say that it is bad, but Mewbox and Malamar also hurt because they can knock out the Florges between Giratina/Mew/Espeon & Deoxsys and shut down the engine. I actually forgot to add that one to the list, but I would probably put it at tier 2. It's possible I am wrong, I just haven't seen it in my own testing. I feel like Pidgey control might be the better stall deck as you can now keep reusing Articuno's GX and eliminating all the energy on the active.

Kenatta_tcg

Aspiring Trainer
I think melmetal lucario is a bit of a issue lots of fire decks still, reshizard goes through the tool cards.

Think the best bet us weakness energy for your trio which u can search with new tag supporter. I dont like n resolve it's far too risky. I find silvally can do well with e switch. And energy for turn. Gardy take a turn or two to set up. Yes hitting it for weakness is great with melcario thou. ADP needs alot of testing yet, I've also tried fire version with welder n brush. Then use zard as ur main attacker after using adp gx. Works nicely but still clunky. Thou I'm sure my list is subpar.

As much as I like adp to be tier 1 I feel it's a tier 2 deck.

It's funny you say that ADP is tier 2 when you have guys like Azul GG and Pablo Meza talking about how good the deck is. So far in my testing it has been the strongest as it doesn't really have any bad matchups. You use GX for 1 prize attacker decks and pivot between ADP and Keldeo for the GX matchups. With Melmetal, which again I will say is a one-of tech I haven't fully tested yet, you obviously don't play it against fire decks. Keldeo deals with those just fine. I haven't lost yet to any Reshizard variant because Keldeo is just so good against them. My list includes two Mallow & Lana which I can recycle using Cynthia & Caitlyn. If they try to go in with Volc I just keep healing the damage each turn and OHKO their volcs because of their weakness. I agree though that I am not sure about the Melmetal and only consider it a closer like you would use Esp/Deo in Malamar. Recently I started testing Drampa from Cosmic Eclipse, which is fantastic against the mirror, but I have no way to search it so I'm not sure it works really well.

One of the nice things I have found in this deck is chaotic swell is really strong against Mewbox, Pikarom, and Malamar, especially if you go first. That alone is a nice boost for the deck.

Last edited:

The Almighty Bidoof

Just your everyday MtF trans Bidoof worshipper
I have tested Doll Stall a bit and found it isn't consistent and struggles against really aggressive decks like Pikarom (tagbolting Florges) and ADP. ADP is a brutal matchup, especially if they go second on turn one because they will just GX you and then take 3 knockouts to win game. Its very hard to get set up that quickly for doll stall. Not to say that it is bad, but Mewbox and Malamar also hurt because they can knock out the Florges between Giratina/Mew/Espeon & Deoxsys and shut down the engine. I actually forgot to add that one to the list, but I would probably put it at tier 2. It's possible I am wrong, I just haven't seen it in my own testing. I feel like Pidgey control might be the better stall deck as you can now keep reusing Articuno's GX and eliminating all the energy on the active.
I've been testing it. Never lost against either. I run 2 sky field and 2 Mew, so bench sniping is a non-issue

Serperior

~
Advanced Member
Pidgeotto Control is Tier 1 and is a force to be reckoned with. Malamar gets new tools in Cosmic Eclipse and is also Tier 1. These are the two decks to beat.

Kenatta_tcg

Aspiring Trainer
Pidgeotto Control is Tier 1 and is a force to be reckoned with. Malamar gets new tools in Cosmic Eclipse and is also Tier 1. These are the two decks to beat.

I could see the case being made for Pidgeotto Control, but I don't think you can make a case that Malamar is tier 1. I'm not even sure about the 1.5 I put it at. I have been playtesting that one a lot and the matchups against healing decks (i.e ADP, Gardeon, and Green Zard) are brutal. Not saying you can't win them, but definitely saying they are unfavorable matchups. Ironically those are 3 of the most played decks at the moment. I love the additions Malamar gets, especially Blacephalon, and if more people keep moving away from custom catcher I think it definitely benefits, but at the current moment people seem to be sliding back to custom catcher because of all the stall decks.

Otaku

The wise fool?
I've been testing it. Never lost against either. I run 2 sky field and 2 Mew, so bench sniping is a non-issue

Emphasis added.

Pardon me for being thick, but does that mean this is an Expanded Format discussion?

Seriously, I thought it was for Standard... >.>

Wolfe_XD

Metagross :)
baby blowns, both versions are high tier 2 or 1.5 decks. I think that the pidgeotto version is best, can recover from stamp better. Also ADP just loses to it sometimes, as do most of the TT decks and you can have a pretty solid malamar with UNM Hoopa and beast rings means welder isn't always required.

Kenatta_tcg

Aspiring Trainer
baby blowns, both versions are high tier 2 or 1.5 decks. I think that the pidgeotto version is best, can recover from stamp better. Also ADP just loses to it sometimes, as do most of the TT decks and you can have a pretty solid malamar with UNM Hoopa and beast rings means welder isn't always required.

Totally forgot baby blowns. I will add it to the list under tier 2 only because it hasn't been doing as well recently. The guy who made that deck (Jeff) actually goes to my store. Ironically he had a really bad night with it at a league challenge a week or so ago and was near the bottom. There was a lot of Malamar that night and as he told me that is his worst matchup. If feel like with the Blacephalon addition that matchup just gets worse, and there is going to be a lot of Malamar out there. This probably pushes it into tier 2 category.

Kenatta_tcg

Aspiring Trainer

Seems like the 2 Sky Pillar wouldn't be enough to stop Malamar. Most lists I have seem to run 4 stadiums (usually now 3 viridian and 1 shrine of punishment). They could just bump the 2 and go in with esp/deo and mew. Doesn't seem like 2 stadium is enough to stop that as Malamar is pretty good and thinning to get to the pieces it needs. I would imagine the lists playing 2 mew pose a problem too as most people just spread it around to all the pidgeys without taking a knockout and then swoop in with esp/deo for one big swing so they don't turn on Lt. Surge.

Last edited: