Ruling Jet Geyser Vs. Stealthy Hood

The Almighty Bidoof

Just your everyday MtF trans Bidoof worshipper
I was playing Doll stall on TCGO, and my opponent used Jet Geyser. I chose a Flabebe with Hood attached, but the effect worked. Is this the correct ruling? Would having a Hood attached to my active prevent it from working?

snoopy369

Aspiring Trainer
Advanced Member
Jet Geyser:
Once during your turn (before your attack), you may discard a Water Energy card from your hand. If you do, your opponent switches their Active Pokémon with 1 of their Benched Pokémon.

The effect of the ability is applied to the Active Pokémon; basically, it "kicks" the active out, and then due to the game rules you have to pick a new one.

Yes, Stealthy Hood would have protected you from its effect if it were on the Active Pokémon.

Otaku

The wise fool?
I was playing Doll stall on TCGO, and my opponent used Jet Geyser. I chose a Flabebe with Hood attached, but the effect worked. Is this the correct ruling? Would having a Hood attached to my active prevent it from working?
Jet Geyser:
Once during your turn (before your attack), you may discard a Water Energy card from your hand. If you do, your opponent switches their Active Pokémon with 1 of their Benched Pokémon.

The effect of the ability is applied to the Active Pokémon; basically, it "kicks" the active out, and then due to the game rules you have to pick a new one.

Yes, Stealthy Hood would have protected you from its effect if it were on the Active Pokémon.

The effect text from Stealthy Hood:

Prevent all effects of your opponent’s Abilities done to the Pokémon this card is attached to. Remove any such existing effects.

Now to clarify, because I'm fussy and almost misread snoopy369's post. ;)

1. The Almighty Bidoof had something other than Flabébé w/Stealth Hood attached in the Active Position.
  2. The Almight Bidoof's opponent activated the Ability of Volcanion {*}, "Jet Geyser".
  3. Jet Geyser forces The Almighty Bidoof's Active Pokémon to the Bench, but you must have an Active at all times...
  4. ...so The Almighty Bidoof must immediately select and choose a different Pokémon.
  5. Even though the Flabébé in question has Stealthy Hood attached neither it nor a card attached to it are being directly affected by an Ability...
  6. ...which means Stealthy Hood's protection won't matter.
  7. As snoopy369 says, if the Flabébé with Stealthy Hood attached was in the Active position, then Stealthy Hood's effect would have blocked Jet Geyser.

Last edited: