Japan's Recent Expanded Bans Now Effective Overseas

K_la

Aspiring Trainer
Adios Marshadow, you won't be missed. I hope the door hits you on the way out, lol

treyh37

Watcher of Thorns
since bans happen usually when the next set is released this was to be expected, now just have to find out if/when the no turn 1 supporter rule change happens, likely safe to assume with the first SW/SH set release.

DX2069

GOAT
Bans are such a weird thing like why do they even make these cards if they are just gonna ban them seems like a giant waste of everyone’s time

Merovingian

Dead Game Enthusiast
Can any expanded control decks still survive after this ban?

Shock lock?

Can control decks survive post-CEC: yes

Regarding Shock Lock: It lost nothing to the bans. It got Top 8 in 3 back to back Regionals last season when everyone had access to Red Card and Marshadow. That said, if we are thinking about Dallas meta, Shock Lock has much bigger issues to worry about.

Regarding other control builds: The only other ones I can think of are ZoroGarb, ZoroToad, Trevenant, MewMew Vileplume, and Sableye Garb.

Most, if not all, of these decks used Marshadow, so everyone gets an extra card in their build. Zoro Garb is the top deck of the format and I don't see that changing much when CEC rolls around. ZoroToad has been touted as a good regional pick for the next 2 Regionals, but I think it's in response to the Sableye Garb hype. I have a feeling that ZoroToad could be a good pick for post-CEC with the new Mimikyu as a tech. IF they start with MewMew, you hit them with Hypnotoxic LAser, get Mimikyu out, absorb opponents tears.
Trevenant is in a bad spot at the moment because of Turbo Dark being Tier-1, Zoro Garb being a Tier-1 pick, and having a dubious 50-50 with Archies thats largely based on coin toss (not sure about MewMew).
MewMew Vileplume....depends on how it performs at the next 2 Regionals. At the very least, I don't see it getting more play than it is now unless it absolutely steamrolls the first 2 Regionals. Sableye Garb loses Red Card, Stamp, Chip Chip, and Lt. Surge. I don't want to say Sableye Garb is totally dead because the players who know how to use it are super smart in building and piloting it--so anything could happen. But my first impression is that it got kneecapped. I have a small idea of where the meta could go post CEC, and if it does, I think Sableye Garb could be a viable pick. But it would be a complete dark horse for Dallas. But the new bans are going to turn away a lot of players that would be using it for the first 2 Regionals (because Sableye Garb is a top pick right now) and only dedicated nutcases will be using it for post-CEC

Last edited:

Merovingian

Dead Game Enthusiast
Bans are such a weird thing like why do they even make these cards if they are just gonna ban them seems like a giant waste of everyone’s time

Because more than 1 format exists. If this was Yugioh, then you'd have a valid point.

But Chip Chip is ok in Standard, so is Surge, Mismagius, and Island Amulet.

As Expanded inevitably gets bigger, so will the banlist. It's not because TCPi is getting lazy. That's just what happens. Look at M:TG Legacy and Yugioh banlists.

Merovingian

Dead Game Enthusiast
Cant you still use these bans in expanded regionals before cec is legal?

If we are talking about PTCGO, it's going to be Island Amulet hand donk-palooza from whenever they make the set legal on PTCGO until November 15th.

Other than that, the first 2 Expanded regionals WILL NOT have the bans in effect because they are before November 15th.

Remember, when a banlist change like this happens, they come into effect THE DAY THE SET BECOMES LEGAL TO PLAY.

Remember when Jessie & James got banned? It was banned September 6th: the date Hidden Fates became legal.

The only exception to this is emergency bans, but thats super case by case and, IIRC, they are immediate. I don't know how they handled Shiftry way back when.

Robert Fuchs

PCTGO name: Ben358358, PST zone
If you put one or two stealthy hood doesn't that provide a good counter against ZoroGarb's garbotoxin?

Christopher Shehan

Aspiring Trainer
With these bans and the new T1 supporter rule coming into effect I would like to see an unban the previously banned supporters. I don't believe them to be broken like before. Maxie being the exception due to the fossils. I also don't think all of these cards needed to be banned. They were an issue when all played as one, Marshadow should live on as the ghost of standard past.

Merovingian

Dead Game Enthusiast
If you put one or two stealthy hood doesn't that provide a good counter against ZoroGarb's garbotoxin?

Zoro Garb typically runs 1 Faba and a Field Blower.

It's hard to say. It might work depending on if they have the outs in hand or Trade into them. But your results may vary. For sure, if won't be on whoever it's on for very long.

Merovingian

Dead Game Enthusiast
T1 Gardeon/Morgan/Magical Miracle GX with no T1 supporter rule

I've seen that in action. The problem is it either gets the combo and the opponent flat out dies, or the combo COMPLETELY blows itself out and you lose because of it. And there's no in-between, you can immediately tell by your opening hand.

Otaku

The wise fool?
since bans happen usually when the next set is released this was to be expected, now just have to find out if/when the no turn 1 supporter rule change happens, likely safe to assume with the first SW/SH set release.

Didn't the BW-era rule changes and XY-era rule chances hit a little before that era's "base set" released? Not a lot before, just saying it might officially go into effect prior to the official release date of the first Sword & Shield set (but well after the our final SM-era set).

Why do products that need to be recalled ever release? Mistakes happen. However, as @Merovingian pointed out, we also currently have two Constructed Formats supported by Organized Play: Standard and Expanded. These bans are happening in Expanded, where the cardpool is stupidly large. The powers-that-be have painted themselves into a corner by never rotating anything out of Expanded. That Ban List is just going to have to grow and grow...

With these bans and the new T1 supporter rule coming into effect I would like to see an unban the previously banned supporters. I don't believe them to be broken like before. Maxie being the exception due to the fossils. I also don't think all of these cards needed to be banned. They were an issue when all played as one, Marshadow should live on as the ghost of standard past.

Where as I still think far too few cards are banned, but my requirements for something to be banned are obviously far lower than TPCi's. XD However, relevant to exactly what you're saying, the new T1 rule (no attack, no Supporter) does nothing to fix balance issues, it just creates a questionable patch to cover over the worst offenders.

Getting a "half-turn" before your opponent guts your hand does not strike me as being significantly better than getting no turn. Evolution acceleration is always a concern, because either everything has to be pre-nerfed for it or you risk a problem combo arising. I mean, this problem is only avoided if the new T1 rules prove almost totally ineffective.

Last edited: