Discussion V-MAX Speculations and Theories

Yaginku

H-on Will Save Pokemon
I have spent a disproportionate amount of time theorizing how V-MAX cards can work and how they probably will work. It's very possible that we are mere days from an official reveal, but I have some theories on the matter, some ideas (which probably won't happen) and some things I think won't happen. Feel free to post your theories as well.

What might happen:
There are two possibilities for V-MAX Pokemon - either they are three-prize basics (Arceus please no), or they're two-prize evolutions to regular V-MAX Pokemon. For the former, we have the fact that V-MAX was announced by juxtaposing it with PikaRom, a three-prize basic, suggesting a connection. For the latter, we have human ethics - and the fact that "V" stands for "eVolve" apparently. Doesn't sound fitting for a "max evolution" to be a basic, but then again it's not logical that regular V-Pokemon can be basics too.
There is one more argument for the evolution theory - Gigantamaxing is not universal. Even Pokemon from the same species aren't all capable of Gigantamaxing. This means that we can get both a regular Pikachu V and a fat Pikachu V-MAX. It's still possible that they're both basics, but it feels almost natural to make them evolutions. Making a separate V-MAX will just overshadow the regular Pokemon V.

Will all Pokemon V be basic, even when they're evolutions? I believe so. If we get a Charizard V and, then, a Charizard V-MAX, then you'd have to evolve Charmander three times. This has not happened in the TCG ever and would be, frankly, bad marketing. Timmies love to slam their expensive, shiny cards and putting a huge hoop to jump through in form of a triple-evolution just won't do. I also can't imagine them skipping an opportunity to make Charizard V and limiting the mechanic to basic Pokemon. Taking all of this into account, my verdict is: Big Basics Time has returned.

Will GX attacks be back? I think yes, in form of V-moves. This is a bit more speculative, but the video games will feature special attacks available to Gigantamaxed Pokemon, a G-MAX move. Sounds familiar? It is possible that they will STILL be called GX-moves (to adhere to the previous rules), but I'm doubtful. I expect them to change the labels to "GX-move/V-move" on cards moving forward. And yes, they will be available on V-MAX Pokemon only.

What probably won't happen:

I strongly believe that V-MAX will NOT be limited to three turns. There is just no convenient way to keep track of that number, without creating a huge mess on the board with different colored dice/different markers. It's either one turn, or all turns - but probably all turns. Losing your shiny V-MAX card after just three turns is a massive bummer.

I also don't think V-MAXing will end your turn. This could go either way, as Megas have ended your turn without a spirit link, but I don't think they'll bring back spirit links yet again.

What I would like to happen:

If I had the ability to design V and V-MAX mechanics then I would not. But if I was forced, I would put a special condition on each V-MAX card, that has to be kept for the V-MAX to be both available and persist at the end of your turn. Minimum four other Pokemon of the bench; or having three Pokemon of different types; or opponent being under a Special Condition; or not playing a Supporter; the possibilities are endless and would immediately add another layer of depth to V-MAXing. Of course you wouldn't lose your V-MAX, it would return to your hand, but that alone could KO your Pokemon through a lower max HP.

WillyCharizard

Aspiring Trainer
What probably won't happen:

I strongly believe that V-MAX will NOT be limited to three turns. There is just no convenient way to keep track of that number, without creating a huge mess on the board with different colored dice/different markers. It's either one turn, or all turns - but probably all turns. Losing your shiny V-MAX card after just three turns is a massive bummer.

I also don't think V-MAXing will end your turn. This could go either way, as Megas have ended your turn without a spirit link, but I don't think they'll bring back spirit links yet again.

I only play PTCGO and honestly dont care if people have to track 1000 markers per turn, I even wish with poison working on bench (Please Pokemon make it happen) just imagine Weezing spreading damage, plus shrine of punishment, plus Weezing ablity, plus poison pokemons on the bench xD anyway dont think would it be that hard to keep just a marker for only 3 turns, also I will add something like V-Max Pokemon unable to being benched, having the pokemon on the active all the time should help to count the turns it had been on the field and not more than once V-Max in the field per player at the same time

Speaking of mechanics that not gonna happen, Dynamax work for 3 turns only so I would like something related to turns, maybe something like the V-Max attack only working if the pokemon already had 3 turns on the field or maybe every V-Max had 3 printed attacks, all of them can only be used once while the pokemon is on the field, so a different attack per turn no matter what or even in the order that is printed

Attack 1 > 50
Attack 2 > 100 with some effect
Attack 3 > Super devasting attack

Anyway due how fast the game currently is, this is just a fantasy one super attack after being on the field 3 turns on the active, it would be impposible with so many hard hitters able to make damage over 150 in the turn 2...